Why become a member? ×

Bowies new album "Blackstar"

Gomez68

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1452407811' post='2949626']

I would be amazed given the changes (huh?) he's been through that there are any true lifetime fans who've connected with everything.

[/quote]

Very true. I've never bonded with the Black Tie, White Noise album - it just sounds too shiny!

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1452353579' post='2949199']
Listening to it now for the 4th time. He's still got it. Can't believe that it's 43 years since I bought my first Bowie album (Aladdin Sane).
[/quote]
Same here. Aladdin Sane bought from saved up pocket money and a little help from my dad.

(Love the 'Overplaying since 1977' line btw..!)

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1452407811' post='2949626']
Not related to the album which I've yet to hear, but:

I went to the Bowie V&A Exhibition which was at Melbourne before Xmas.

It told me something I never realised - he was hugely important in my musical life, but only in a couple of periods. The rest of his stuff left me cold.

I would be amazed given the changes (huh?) he's been through that there are any true lifetime fans who've connected with everything.

Sorry to derail...
[/quote]
I went to the exhibition when it was in London and it reinforced how important he's been musically for a large chunk of my life, esp. the formative years. Everything from Space Oddity to Let's Dance meant something, even in some small way. I got a bit choked up at the exhibition as I was able to relate the music to so many good experiences when I was a kid/younger person.

In terms of connecting with everything, not a chance. Tonight was such a let down (apart from Loving the Alien the rest left me cold - and really, why would anyone - even the Genius Jones - take on God Only Knows?!).

Never Let Me Down was very 80s but not in a good way - and, again, deciding to get Mickey Rourke rapping on a track may have been a stretch too far.

Then there was the Glass Spider tour (Spinal Tap II without Messrs St. Hubbins, Tufnel, Smalls et al) and to top it all the Sound+Vision stripped down/Adrian Belew show.

Didn't really like the Earthling direction but admired him for sticking his handsome head into the world of drum and bass rather than going after the easy wins.

All that being said, he's still the musician that has influenced me the most in life (and whose music means the most to me) and the fact that he's still making music that challenges us all these years later is testament to his brilliance.

Blackstar gets its first listen chez Riva this afternoon with a nice cuppa and an open mind (sort of!).. can't wait.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1452416236' post='2949658']

Very true. I've never bonded with the Black Tie, White Noise album - it just sounds too shiny!
[/quote]
I've struggled for years to describe that album. "Shiny" is perfect!

Edited by Old Man Riva

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1452410230' post='2949628']
I heard on the radio he wanted to use jazz players to play rock , in the hope that something new would be created

[/quote]

Chuck Berry did this, and it was. They called it rock'n'roll! Listen to the jazz-swinging drummer and bass player vs Chuck's straight-8 guitar on Johnny B Goode.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1452388681' post='2949593']

If you've heard the singles, you may be in for a surprise when you listen to the album!
[/quote]

Which makes me look forward to it even more! I found Heathen, Reality and The Next Day mostly... unsurprising.

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1452425647' post='2949750']
Same here. Aladdin Sane bought from saved up pocket money and a little help from my dad.

(Love the 'Overplaying since 1977' line btw..!)

I went to the exhibition when it was in London and it reinforced how important he's been musically for a large chunk of my life, esp. the formative years. Everything from Space Oddity to Let's Dance meant something, even in some small way. I got a bit choked up at the exhibition as I was able to relate the music to so many good experiences when I was a kid/younger person.

In terms of connecting with everything, not a chance. Tonight was such a let down (apart from Loving the Alien the rest left me cold - and really, why would anyone - even the Genius Jones - take on God Only Knows?!).

Never Let Me Down was very 80s but not in a good way - and, again, deciding to get Mickey Rourke rapping on a track may have been a stretch too far.

Then there was the Glass Spider tour (Spinal Tap II without Messrs St. Hubbins, Tufnel, Smalls et al) and to top it all the Sound+Vision stripped down/Adrian Belew show.

Didn't really like the Earthling direction but admired him for sticking his handsome head into the world of drum and bass rather than going after the easy wins.

All that being said, he's still the musician that has influenced me the most in life (and whose music means the most to me) and the fact that he's still making music that challenges us all these years later is testament to his brilliance.

Blackstar gets its first listen chez Riva this afternoon with a nice cuppa and an open mind (sort of!).. can't wait.
[/quote]

This pretty much describes how I feel about Bowie. First album I ever bought was Ziggy Stardust in 1972 - did a paper round to save up the money for it - and I've been a fan of him as a singer, songwriter and originator ever since!

My daughter's bought me the new album for Xmas but I haven't actually received it yet, so have still to hear it.. Absolutely loved the video for 'Blackstar' and the song too, and similarly, 'Lazarus', so I can't wait actually get my hands on the album. :)

There's so much great music around, and many, many other artists who's music means so much to me, but Bowie will always be the one who inspired me over and above everyone else!

The fact that he's still putting music out that gets people talking at the age of 69 is amazing, but when you look back at his track record, it's not really that much of a surprise.

[quote name='Spaced' timestamp='1452499314' post='2950396']
Well it's a hell of a lot more poignant now. I'm glad he saw it released.
[/quote]

And hopefully he knew that it went to No. 1. in many countries in the world. In the daily charts at least. Duncan Jones tweeted the chart positions for the 8th and 9th of January, so I hope his father knew.

Poignant tweets from Iggy Pop and Brian Eno today.

I'm listening to "The Next Day" as I type this: having listened to "Blackstar" several times today already.