Why become a member? ×

Bowies new album "Blackstar"

Gomez68

Anyone listened to the new album? I think it's a great sound of jazz inspired music and really far away from mainstream music scene. The band are really tight and I love the bass players sound. A great album with great musicians and production. It's just seven tracks with Blackstar and Lazarus released in November and December . Any others enjoyed, loved , hated etc?

Yeah Japhet ! Apparently he visits a bar in NY regularly and saw this jazz collective and asked them to play for his new project ! Cool ! Not sure how it sat with Gail Anne Dorsey ??? Agreed to last few posts I love all the early 70s and scary monsters period but this album is a real different approach . Great album and as mentioned great musicians playing.

Just bought it today... listening will have to wait for the cooperation of junior family members. I've already heard and loved Sue, Backstar and Lazarus, which must be about half the album!

Tim L also plays with Tedeschi Trucks Band, who were my big discovery last year (and who have an album coming out later this month).

Just bought it today and had a first listen this afternoon. Loving it! The Next Time never really got going till halfway through, but Blackstar is full of little gems.

For context, I have been a Bowie fan for 40 years.
Favourite Bowie albums - Low andy Ziggy Stardust.
Favourite Bowie single - Ashes to Ashes.

I have tried to listen to the whole thing, but I can't get through it, to me it is a rerun of Heathen but even less interesting. I guess if you like that album you will like this, but I can't imagine anyone ever buying it if it didn't have his name on the cover.

But if you are a real fanboi I suppose you are going to like it. I had a thing on my facebook about it, and there were a couple of bowie fans, and they loved it, and the rest weren't keen.

On the plus side, it is good we have streaming these days, as in the old days I would consider buying a new bowie album unheard on the release day, but now I have saved myself a few quid

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1452376636' post='2949474']
There is certainly a more jazz element. Or all the musicians weren't allowed in the same room at the same time!

Mainly it is slip away(?) I think, it seems very similar to the style.
[/quote]

Slip Away is probably the most Blackstar sounding song on Heathen, but I think the albums are quite different. IMHO, the most similar album to Blackstar in Bowie's back catalogue is 1. Outside.

The Next Day is IMHO more similar to Heathen than Blackstar.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1452388827' post='2949595']
Am I not allowed to like it just because I think it's a good album then?
[/quote]

Of course - if you find it a good album you will like it, if you don't you won't.

I just suspect that the fact it is David Bowie is a large influence on whether a lot of people give it more time to get to know it than they would if it was just some bloke noone had heard of.

And I am only saying that in a general sense rather than referring to anyone here.

Not related to the album which I've yet to hear, but:

I went to the Bowie V&A Exhibition which was at Melbourne before Xmas.

It told me something I never realised - he was hugely important in my musical life, but only in a couple of periods. The rest of his stuff left me cold.

I would be amazed given the changes (huh?) he's been through that there are any true lifetime fans who've connected with everything.

Sorry to derail...