Why become a member? ×

Can't get a good tone...

BrunoBass

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1452777221' post='2953350']
Cutting some of the troublesome high mids would make more sense I think. Much more sensible to get rid of what is causing the problem than try to mask it by adding something else IMO/IME :)
[/quote]
Agreed, chances are that you are never going to be truly happy with it.

Havent played live for years so take this with a huge pinch of salt but from memory. Few of us get the chance to walk out intoa room full of punters during the actural gig to hear what we sound like.....bet you'll find that poor tone on stage and clankyou describe sound full and cutting out in the room.

I have a Stingray and a TC Classic 450 head. Ok, so it all goes through a Barefaced Retro Two 10 cab, so will sound different

FWIW my EQ settings are.
Bass - between 1 and 2 o'clock depending on the venue
Low Mid - 3 o'clock
High Mid - flat (12 o'clock)
Treble - 3 o'clock

I can be heard very clearly everywhere and every note is audible.

Good luck.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1452461674' post='2950196']
A Stingray is an expensive, premium, professional, great sounding, instrument. Your amp is entry level and priced for beginners. You could buy 6 TC combos for the price of a new Stingray.
If you invest in an amp, that will let you hear you bass accurately at high volume, your problem will be solved.
[/quote]

1+ Messing about with tone settings is not going to change the fact that your amp is unable to cope with the volume you want to play at. You need an amp that will maintain the good sound you get at low volumes when you turn it up. I don't know whether the amp is faulty or just rubbish, but that's certainly where the problem is.