Why become a member? ×

Rio Isolated Bass Track - is it John Taylor?

spectoremg

16 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Hang on, a drummer who speeds up, that's not something I've come across :)

He's actually (looks over shoulder to make sure he can't hear) the best drummer I've played with, used to do session work around London, and told Nick Heyward his band was gay when he wanted him for Haircut 100. He was in both my bands but had a heart attack earlier in the year and has had to quit the Mod/Ska band. We were telepathic with each other and I'm now at that point were you realise you'll probably never find that special drummer again. 

Edited by Maude
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Maude said:

He's actually (looks over shoulder to make sure he can't hear) the best drummer I've played with, used to do session work around London, and told Nick Heyward his band was gay when he wanted him for Haircut 100. He was in both my bands but had a heart attack earlier in the year and has had to quit the Mod/Ska band. We were telepathic with each other and I'm now at that point were you realise you'll probably never find that special drummer again. 

Sorry to hear that mate, hope he gets back to playing. I've only ever had that thing with one drummer, and I listen to the recordings occasionally and they're the ones on which my bass playing - and arguably the whole band - sounds best. It can be make or break for a band

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I think you'll find that if he plays it faster than the original then he speeds it up

Ah, I forgot for a moment that you're a Bassist. To me, as a Drummer, I make a distinction between 'speeding up' and 'speeding it up'. Sorry, 'my bad' as I'm told the youf of today say; it won't happen again. :|

:lol: :P

I haven't finished it yet but I came across a pod cast where Guy Pratt and Martin Kemp are hosting and they're interviewing John Taylor. He was talking to his peers as if it wasn't an interview, just a chat, and it was really insightful. He talked about wanting to emulate the great recording rhythm sections and how he and the drummer (who's name I have forgotten) and nobody else in the room would spend ages just practicing fills to get them perfectly tight so that they could smash it in all rehearsals and song writing sessions. That struck a (bass) chord with me as a brilliant way to practice with a drummer rather than trying to improve and stay on each others rhythm changes. Made me respect him as a player more than I already do. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

I miss the days when mainstream pop stars, sneered at by 'music lovers', were actually crap-hot musicians.

Looking back, we didn't know how lucky we were.

Yeah, I was one of those who sheered, probably fuelled by my then girlfriend’s infatuation with JT. I simply knew he couldn’t play, and that the bass was all done by Nick Rhodes’ keyboards.

• 7 months later...

If you watch footage of Duran live he uses fingers to play it. I always wondered if it wasn't Andy Taylor who came up with the bassline and John who played it. JT also played some cracking basslines on the Rio album Last chance on the stairway is very similar to Rio and New Religion is a great playalong track.

37 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

That's interesting - there is a mistake/overdub at 2:26. I'd not spotted that before.

Back in the day, when I had a good listen to the isolated track, I noticed this as well.

:D

On 10/01/2016 at 14:54, lowdown said:

Just had another listen - there is at least one drop in.

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

I think he has a very “pick” tone in his fingers, he might be using his nails also 

Though the notes there sound pick-like, that's harder to play with a pick than fingers, it sounds to me like he's "digging in" there a bit, which is more natural with fingers.

I'm a little confused about this "isolated" bass track!

Assuming that the leakage we hear is going into JT's cab mic from studio monitors.

And assuming, that drums, bass guitar and basic rhythm tracks were the first to be recorded. Then, the leakage we hear would be of something very basic. Just drums, a guide vocal, basic keys and guitar, perhaps. What we actually hear is, what sounds like the finished track, with vocal harmonies, keyboard overdubs etc. It sounds like JT's bass was the last thing recorded, and he was playing to a "final" mix. I don't know many musicians that would be happy playing to a "final" mix.

Something doesn't add up!

Of course, having said all that, the answer could simply be that it isn't just an "isolated" bass track🤔.

On 04/07/2021 at 13:52, SteveK said:

I'm a little confused about this "isolated" bass track!

Assuming that the leakage we hear is going into JT's cab mic from studio monitors.

And assuming, that drums, bass guitar and basic rhythm tracks were the first to be recorded. Then, the leakage we hear would be of something very basic. Just drums, a guide vocal, basic keys and guitar, perhaps. What we actually hear is, what sounds like the finished track, with vocal harmonies, keyboard overdubs etc. It sounds like JT's bass was the last thing recorded, and he was playing to a "final" mix. I don't know many musicians that would be happy playing to a "final" mix.

Something doesn't add up!

Of course, having said all that, the answer could simply be that it isn't just an "isolated" bass track🤔.

https://moises.ai/

5 hours ago, bassintheface said:

has this 'query' been answered and have the collective 'we' come to a satisfactory conclusion now?

Well...you can never disprove a conspiracy theory there's always the 'no ones allowed to talk about it' defence.

But realistically, after nearly 40 years and countless biographies, autobiographies and interviews with the people involved in making the track, from the band to the studio crew and the band's management, if John didn't play on it I reckon someone would have let it slip by now.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

On 05/07/2021 at 15:51, Cato said:

Well...you can never disprove a conspiracy theory there's always the 'no ones allowed to talk about it' defence.

But realistically, after nearly 40 years and countless biographies, autobiographies and interviews with the people involved in making the track from the band to the studio crew and the band's management, if John didn't play on it I reckon someone would have let it slip by now.

I can ask a 'friend' who will know.......

Edited by bassintheface
privacy