Why become a member? ×

Moollon

edpirie

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1455800552' post='2982532']
Haha! [i]Another[/i] bass, Rob?? :lol:

Well, why not eh. Let us know how it sounds.
[/quote]

I know, I don't deserve the ones I've got... :blink:

Got a while yet, I've reserved one of 4 sonic blue P bodies from a batch due in the spring. Apparently they are in process, but have 20 coats of lacquer or something similar to dry out or whatever it is lacquer has to do... so after bolting all the bits together, electrickery etc. hopefully it'll arrive mid June :)

Been GASsing for a P bass for ages and I kept looking for something like this one... in the end I though I might as well get this actual one.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1455801313' post='2982540']
Been GASsing for a P bass for ages and I kept looking for something like this one... in the end I though I might as well get this actual one.
[/quote]

If it's that particular colour it's a beaut! 'Eggshell blue', or something? Whatever. Looks fab.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1455804365' post='2982582']
If it's that particular colour it's a beaut! 'Eggshell blue', or something? Whatever. Looks fab.
[/quote]

Yes it's that exact color combo. Sonic Blue nitro, Mint guard, Ebony board...

... just got a confirmation email so it's definitely a goer :)

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1455804740' post='2982588']
Yes it's that exact color combo[/quote]

Very nice!

Sounds Great (the UK supplier mentioned in the OP) are a shortish drive away from me. I might pop my head in and have a look. Leaving my wallet at home, for safe keeping :D

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1455805569' post='2982595']
Very nice!

Sounds Great (the UK supplier mentioned in the OP) are a shortish drive away from me. I might pop my head in and have a look. Leaving my wallet at home, for safe keeping :D
[/quote]

Yes they seem to only stock the pedals unfortunately... no-one seems to stock the actual basses. I suspect that this is because there aren't that many of them... From what I can gather they are made in small batches and they take orders whilst the bodies, necks etc are in process and don't really have any instruments in stock.

Bit of a risk ordering from somewhere I cannot easily get the bass back to if there are any issues, but I'm sure everything will be fine :) I like the idea that everything is made in house (including the tuners... even Wal don't do that)... anyway time will tell if this was a wise decision :blink:

Edited by CamdenRob

[size="3"][color="#000000"]Ah, so you took the plunge – good on you! I’ve been getting pretty close myself but just don’t have the funds to hand at the moment. Nothing I’ve read suggests it will be anything other than a great buy, and I agree that this is the perfect colour combo.[/color][/size]

[quote name='edpirie' timestamp='1455812946' post='2982675']
[size=3][color=#000000]Ah, so you took the plunge – good on you! I’ve been getting pretty close myself but just don’t have the funds to hand at the moment. Nothing I’ve read suggests it will be anything other than a great buy, and I agree that this is the perfect colour combo.[/color][/size]
[/quote]

You'll have to pop over for a noodle when it arrives :)

There has been a slight price hike since you looked into it and the classic P is now $2299 + I'll get hit for VAT and import duty, so it's not a cheap option unfortunately...

I've been looking into the ethos behind the instruments and the amount of effort he's put into creating the pre-CBS vibe is astonishing, even doing stuff which must make absolutely no difference whatsoever, like working out the zinc content of the original metal parts etc. so he can recreate them :blink:

Looking forward to an NBD sometime in June :)

Edited by CamdenRob

• 1 year later...

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1493055889' post='3285251']
Scott Devine raves about his in a recent vlog, comparing it to Fender Nate Mendel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YarWwi7gRqI
[/quote]

Watched this a couple of weeks ago, and I thought his Nate Mendel sounded KILLER, but when he put it up against the Moollon, the Moollon was a class above, imo.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='edpirie' timestamp='1496511311' post='3312023']
I don't but if you email they should be quick to get back to you. Price will be in USD which will hurt at the moment.
[/quote]
Cheers!

Sadly I think lots of basses are gonna hurt to buy sooner rather than later, the Maruszczyk's that everyone seemed be order over the past 18 months seem to have flown up in price!

• 1 month later...

One thing to watch out for with the Moollons is fretwork. I have had persistent buzz at one fret and one string only which I couldn't get rid of - took it to Martin at the Gallery and it seems to be a fret not seated properly. I'm getting a full fret dress to make sure, and for me it's well worth the £75 as it's otherwise the best P-bass I've played and a long-term keeper. Having said that I find it bizarre that the luthier goes to the lengths he does to get exactly the same metal compound for the tuners as an original pre-CBS Fender, but lets a bass leave his workshop with imperfect fretwork. I'd think I was just unlucky but have read a posting on Talkbass from a bass tech reporting similar issues the other side of the pond. This isn't to knock Moollon - as I say this is the best P-bass I've laid my hands on, and I'd jump on a second-hand J Classic if it turned up around here - but thought I'd share my experience.

• 6 months later...

I am resurrecting the thread as I am hoping someone with knowledge of Moollon basses might be able to answer a question I have. I am not in the position to place an order just yet so I don't want to waste their time unless I have to.

So the question is, does anyone know if they will make a Jazz with a Precision neck, or make a PJ Precision? I saw someone on the American forum mention that they had seen a PJ but there was no evidence and I haven't seen one anywhere.

I just cannot get on with Jazz necks, but I want the two pickup option.

I would be very wary of importing anything where the value has been understated. You spend 1400 quid on a bass and risk losing it at Customs for the sake of £200. A sizeable sum, certainly, but this is clearly fraudulent and Customs will impound the bass (and destroy it) if they detect this. Rather like Russian roulette if you're truly into that.

That's with my ex-Customs head on temporarily.

Edited by Steve Browning