Why become a member? ×

Fodera Monarch P Bass

hiram.k.hackenbacker

There's definitely a market for it, and I think it was probably inspired by this private custom build:

https://fodera.smugmug.com/Newborn-Gallery-Vol-IV/Newborn-1061/

This is a Holly top, deluxe model (dovetail neck joint not bolt-on), and is active, so this would have probably cost the customer around $8500 I reckon

Si

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1452253801' post='2948052']
I like this more than any of their other basses. There must be a market for it otherwise they wouldn't have made it. 4K isn't that much money to a lot of people these days, it's all relative. If you live in Manhattan, drive a nice car and have a decent wage, this is an ok price. It's like buying furniture. The divide between people's wealth, and the difference in what people consider to be normal is staggering these days. To me it's too much but I'm not the target audience.
[/quote]
+1 I guess.

Having thought about it, I paid slightly more for my Pino. Lovely bass, but it decided me I wasn't a P person.

Having seen the Holly top version, I kind of understand how the Monarch P was born now. They must have had a few requests for similar and to have space to upgrade to a preamp gives you options. I knew there was something odd about it. Glad the fret thing was pointed out as something didn't compute for me there.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1452258198' post='2948141']
I think it looks great. There are some nice ACGs with holly tops too, it's like a natural vintage white.
[/quote]

I saw a holly top ACG jazz on here somewhere a while back and i think it was one of the nicest ACGs I've seen... if it had the multi-coil pickups I would have been very tempted, although I think it was a custom order and not available to buy anyway.

I think that this is a really nice bass. Can't really see the issue with the price. There are other high-end bass manufacturers like Sadowsky, Overwater etc that copy the humble precision and charge a similar price to the $4000 Fodera are asking for this. It's probably a Fodera fanboy-targeting bass but these guys clearly know their product and market and good on them for making a living out of something they're clearly super passionate about!

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1452287782' post='2948636']
If money was no object, would you by the Fodera or a vintage Fender (I would image it would probably be early 70s for this money)?
[/quote]

I'd give Fodera my money without a second thought. Whilst the magic and mass appeal of an old Fender is cool, Leo isn't around to make that bass for me and he certainly won't be benefiting from me blowing $4000 on one second-hand. I'd much rather support a living, passionate luthier who is trying to craft their legacy by building exquisite boutique instruments to an individual's specifications. I love the idea that two people's thoughts on design, specifications, wood combinations, musical approaches and what they individually hope to get from the instrument come together to create something unique and special in mutual and differing ways for both parties. I'd never get that by spending £100,000 or even £100m on an old vintage Fender and that's worth more than being able to tell the guys at rehearsal that I've got 'an old proper Fender' locked away and insured to high heaven.

This is also the reason I ordered an ACG rather than buying something 'off the peg'...

I own one Fodera and have another one on order due in September. I like the idea of the Monarch P, and I agree with Si that if they have put the model out, then they clearly believe there is a demand for it, and it is likely among Fodera owners who want the P bass vibe rather than Fender players looking to upgrade. Despite my love of their basses however, I wouldn't buy it. Foderas appeal to me due to their effortless playability and the killer tone of the Duncan duals. I'll quite happily keep my Foderas for that reason but when I buy a P bass I won't be bothered about super low action or great woodwork. I like a P bass to have pretty high action, a thick neck and solid colours. If you play one of those for any extended time period the added finger strength you've gained ratchets the playability factor on the Foderas up another notch. Still, good they put it out as a choice for those who want that playability on a P bass.

Also, regarding the jibe about lawyers, solicitors, CEOs etc... Myth. Instrument collectors may collect vintage Fenders and Gibsons ( and even then the majority of collectors are players or former players). I've never, ever come across a Fodera owner who was not a passable bass player.

[quote name='Belka' timestamp='1452296814' post='2948762']
Also, regarding the jibe about lawyers, solicitors, CEOs etc... Myth. Instrument collectors may collect vintage Fenders and Gibsons ( and even then the majority of collectors are players or former players). I've never, ever come across a Fodera owner who was not a passable bass player.
[/quote]

Don't worry, I'm only joking. :) Someone had to make that one at some point or another.

On the one hand this seems to be the antithesis of Fodera's usual output but on the other hand this is going for pre-CBS prices. If I was going to splash that sort of money on a P-bass then I would probably go the way of a proper hand made instrument rather than something that was designed to be built as cheaply as possible...

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1452345981' post='2949088']
Viewed this post expecting to hate it.... and I love it.
[/quote]

Actually the more I look at it the more I'm attracted to it. Just like the current mrs discreet on that fateful morning in Penge! Just what I don't need, Fodera GAS. But of course, if this means I'm turning into a dentist, doctor, solicitor or CEO then I'll be golden... :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1452347435' post='2949112']
Actually the more I look at it the more I'm attracted to it. Just like the current mrs discreet on that fateful morning in Penge! Just what I don't need, Fodera GAS. But of course, if this means I'm turning into a dentist, doctor, solicitor or CEO then I'll be golden... :D
[/quote]

The irony of me prodding a joke at this whilst I'm actually training to become a dentist. It'll be the icing on the cake if I ended up buying one of these, eh?