Why become a member? ×

A fistful of fours

Doctor J

Since I've done a hefty amount of selling and a bit of trading this year, I figured it was time to get the 4's together for a group shot. Every one of these basses is different, both in feel and especially in tone. Lovely stuff.

My trusty old ESP, the greatest Jazz I've ever played in every aspect, ever.

The Bacchus P. Probably my favourite bass right now. This thing just rocks my balls.

The Sadowsky. This is a [i]very[/i] nice bass indeed.

The Streamer. Think Newsted's black album tone and you've got the idea.

The Stingray. I avoided these for years after the dreaded bad-white-funk craze of the early 90's but this is a great instrument with a unique tone. I like it.

I asked ESP. They said their records were destroyed in a fire for that era but dated it between 86 and 88, so I go with 87. I bought it in 93. It's an outstanding bass, it really is. I've never played another J that outdoes it... and that includes the Sadowsky.

Just picked this one up last night for a song, I couldn't resist

Edited by Doctor J

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='294634' date='Sep 29 2008, 04:13 PM']Good to see my old Stingray in safe hands![/quote]

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='294912' date='Sep 29 2008, 09:33 PM']+1 :huh:

(I'm the original owner from new BTW)[/quote]

I like it a lot, I have to say, a lot more than I was expecting to (damn Flea). I've rounded the edges of the fretboard a bit, it was a fairly sharp edge on a wide neck and was a bit uncomfortable for my J neck lovin hands. I also smoothed out the back of the neck with some fine steel wool and that little bit of woodwork has really done the trick, it's really changed the feel so it's a lot more comfortable, I really dig the feel of it now. I've lowered the pickup a bit too which has taken a bit of the sharpness out of the tone and swapped in a single ply black scratchplate (the white ring was annoying me). I'm beginning to think this one is a keeper :)

How's the Venus working out for you, Luke?