Why become a member? ×

NBD - American Std Jazz (2015)

GazWills

so I popped into PMT in Bristol today, as they have an 18 months 0% interest free offer on at the minute. I was on the hunt for a Jazz...

They have a pretty good selection in there at the minute, I was able to lock myself away in a room and try an american standard, an AV75 and a Geddy Lee, plus I tried a US jaguar as well.

The neck on the Geddy is nice, as a lot of people have said, and it had the hottest pickups, but for how it felt, played and sounded (a little understated compared to the Geddy), it was the US standard that won out for me... picking it up tomorrow so pictures to follow.

The AV75 was very disappointing, not worth more than the US standard to me, let along £500 more. Heavy, and the neck didn't feel that great. The Geddy was very nice, I can see why people talk them up, but it wasn't really what I was after.

Roll on tomorrow! :)

Edited by GazWills

OK, here are a few pics. Sadly, I just have a camera phone, and not a very good one either!!!

Here she is, next to my 2011 US Std Precision...

The P bass is a lovely weight, but the jazz, if anything, is slightly lighter still. The back of the neck is almost sanded in feel, much easier than the P bass to play...

The fingerboard is really quite dark, compared to the P...

All in all, a really nice bass, very happy :)

Action was setup far too low in the shop, a little buzzy, but nothing a proper setup won't sort out!