Why become a member? ×

Words fail me.

Paul S

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1452162790' post='2947065']
No way will the Mods close this thread down as long as we continue to praise his artistry.
[/quote]

Has anyone actually [i]played [/i]any of his instruments? They may look, er... 'unusual', but you never know, perhaps they're the best-playing and best-sounding instruments on the planet - in which case they are a complete bargain. :crazy:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1452167663' post='2947146']
Why is he He-who-must-not-be-named? I'm a relative newcomer to the eBay corner.
[/quote]

We used to have a good old laugh at his incredible "Improvements" Until he threatened Basschat with legal action.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1452167663' post='2947146']
Why is he He-who-must-not-be-named? I'm a relative newcomer to the eBay corner.
[/quote]

If there was such a fellow as "He-who-must-not-be-named", I would suspect that he was a Basschat member and may have been a tad irked at some of the comments about his work...

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1452017688' post='2945603']
The best part of this restoration is that he hasn't bothered to even fit new strings. In fact, he's just chucked on whatever dead crap he could find in his parts bin.
[/quote]

Au contraire - he clearly states that they've a 'composite set' - very rare, very expensive... ;)

Hypothetically ( and in no way related to this thread) why would anyone who claims 'guitar improver' status (whatever that means) show a bunch of old tat as strings and then say 'I'm going to put a good set on'?

Would you buy a used car from someone if pictured with flat or damaged tyres on the basis they will be replaced? It doesn't exactly inspire confidence unless it was silly cheap?

Again hypothetically ( and no way related to this thread) it takes some bravado/self delusion to sell for over £250 a frankenbass of epic scruffiness and botchedness ( 2 different coloured pickups etc etc) when it must have cost circa £37

I know 'Vintage' and 'Retro' are 'in' along with men with big beards in Shoreditch and I and many others could be dismissed as a 'gear snobs' but even if it plays like 'butter' over £50 is a step too far IMHO.

To ensure there is no confusion, these comments do not relate to anything referred to or pictured on this thread.

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1452168048' post='2947152']
If there was such a fellow as "He-who-must-not-be-named", I would suspect that he was a Basschat member and may have been a tad irked at some of the comments about his work...
[/quote]

Well perhaps he should've taken heed and stopped ripping off punters stupid enough to part with cash for his abortions

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1452190201' post='2947481']
http://basschat.co.uk/user/22897-mark-david-phillips/
[/quote]

Status offline. Last Active Apr 03 2012 10:42 PM. He only joined on the 19th March of the same year!
[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1452188014' post='2947452']

Well perhaps he should've taken heed and stopped ripping off punters stupid enough to part with cash for his abortions
[/quote]

I whole heartedly agree with you!

Edited by itsmedunc

We are all just jealous, he clearly has total belief in himself as some kind of saviour of unloved guitars and basses, he does have 100% feedback, maybe they do play as well as he suggests...... just imagine the GnR comeback gig...Slash walks on stage with his MDP special and lets rip the intro to Sweet Child of Mine, they would soon be in demand then, wouldn't they?........No I am not willing to shell out a couple of hundred quid to find out

Please note....tongue firmly in cheek for much of the above :ph34r:

Apart from the tragic bridge, I think it looks rather lovely. The description (for MDP) is refreshingly matter of fact. But the price...? It would need more than a new set of heavy strings to make me cough up what he's asking. Shame really, I love "mongrel" bases and I do have a perverse desire to own one of his pieces. Perhaps he'll have a sale....

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1452250316' post='2947988']
Apart from the tragic bridge, I think it looks rather lovely. The description (for MDP) is refreshingly matter of fact. But the price...? It would need more than a new set of heavy strings to make me cough up what he's asking. Shame really, I love "mongrel" bases and I do have a perverse desire to own one of his pieces. Perhaps he'll have a sale....
[/quote]

This is one of the better efforts. I don't think his work is bad as such it's just so so shoddy. And the stupid prices it's ripping people off that probably know no better.

• 1 year later...

i know this is an old thread, but i came across it after a search and have read this from start to finish, followed all the links and even visited the ebay shop . i can honestly say that i have not laughed so much in ages. a big belated thank you to all the posters who have ensured that for tonight i will go to bed sniggering. :laugh1:

Has to be without a doubt one of the most deluded people I have come across.i think his creations are one of these things that mankind cannot understand at this present point in our evolution. Future generations will understand and embrace his creations no doubt. I'm buying one as a retirement investment.

He actually threatened legal action?? 😳
He's bloody lucky no one took legal action in respect of those pieces of sh*te he passed of as 'improved'!!!

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1452167826' post='2947150']

We used to have a good old laugh at his incredible "Improvements" Until he threatened Basschat with legal action.
[/quote]