Why become a member? ×

Do you name your DB?

Marc S

As the title suggests, do you? Or is this slightly odd behaviour? ;)
I started this thread specifically in the DB section, in response to a thread in General discussion
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/276153-name-your-bass/"]http://basschat.co.u...name-your-bass/[/url]

As it seems several DB players, like myself name their Double Basses, but not their bass guitars - Just wondering, like :)

EDIT: Forgot to add, I call my David Gage "Czech Ease" Lady Georgina, and my Emminence EUB "Emma" or "Ems"
And used to call my old Boosey & Hawkes "Brenda" or sometimes "Belinda" after a good friend - although that didn't stick, as the previous owner (Sarah T on here) called it / her "Bertha"

Edited by Marc S

My first "real" double bass was a huge 4/4 German bass, didn't suit a female name so he was Humphrey, then I had Boris.
My current bass, a 19th century Mittenwald instrument, is definitely female and she's called Meghan, for obvious reasons...

I'm neither inventive enough or sentimental enough to name my DBs (or any other possession), but it does bring a smile to my face when someone has an apt name or an amusing name for a DB or other possession. I remember 1 BC member calling his DB Nigella because it was early 50's, big, beautiful and curvy. Despite not being sentimental enough, I am quite attached to my recent DB and EB purchases, which are definitely keepers, the others are great, but will be going at some stage!

My double bass is called Penelope or Penny for short. Not sure where that came from. My current bass guitar (the Skjold) doesn't have a name as yet. My bass guitars up to this point were called Christy (Peavey), Rosa (Squier fretless) and Maryanne Marilyn (Stingray). For some reason I can't seem to remember what I called my first double bass.
My car is called Graham, because its Gray and also as a subtle Alan Partridge reference!

I don't intentionally name them, their names seem to come from above in moments of divine inspiration. If only that happened more often with writing decent tunes!

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1452818115' post='2953863']
I bought a double bass from gedomusik.de so I now call it überbassenbassen. Which isn't actual German but it makes me chuckle. :)
[/quote]

Uberbassenbassen - I like that :) lol

I'm thinking of Selina - kind of modern, classy, minimalist. Not bombastic, curvaceuous or full-bodied.

My daughter hates the shape. She is convinced there are bits missing and it qualifies as "f'ugly" (apparently!).

Thoughts?

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:209693]

Edited by DavidMcKay