Why become a member? ×

CIJ Jaguar/Block markers/seafoam/surf green slash slash

stubass

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Jag but there is one thing stopping me. Block markers. I don't know why, but they freak me out. Anyone else have a heavy leaning to dots or is it just me? Blocks look lovely but I get all flustered when I'm playing.

Edited by stubass

You would adapt given the practice.

Or like a board with no markers use the side dots for quick reference.

I can switch to blocks, dots or no markers just takes a few days practice to start to get confident then after a couple of weeks the muscle memory takes over. My preferred is maple board black dots I think they stand out a bit better too me.

Edited by Twincam

How often do you look at the front of the guitar when playing? I'm not sure if I'd even notice.

My worry about blocks is that people bang on all the time about the tone of fingerboard wood so it seems strange to replace large parts of it with what is often just plastic (though I do like the ones that replace it with a different wood). I'm sure I wouldn't be able to hear the difference but if you follow some people's arguments then there may be one...

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1451908241' post='2944398']
How often do you look at the front of the guitar when playing? I'm not sure if I'd even notice.
[/quote]
Often. I'm not a musician or even a bass player :lol:
Don't like blocks for aesthetic reasons. I put [url="http://www.inlaystickers.com"]inlay stickers[/url] on one of my basses and it confused me for a few minutes. Looks cool though!

[quote]
My worry about blocks is that people bang on all the time about the tone of fingerboard wood so it seems strange to replace large parts of it with what is often just plastic (though I do like the ones that replace it with a different wood). I'm sure I wouldn't be able to hear the difference but if you follow some people's arguments then there may be one...
[/quote]

I think it is the bulk of the wood that makes the alleged difference and not the surface finish. A laminated neck supposedly is stiffer. If you can hear a difference, there is one; If you cannot hear a difference, there is none. Both are entirely correct.

Och, it was black as well, not a fan of black jaguars (basses, I'd happily have the four wheeled version). But to satisfy my GAS, I picked up a PJ special copy (well done copy at that) in surf/seafoam green, string through body, fender tuners, 70's decal and Fullerton neck plate with change from 170. Eager to rip it to bits to see what I'm playing with. It's my birthday so why not!
[URL=http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/sglbass84/media/Copy/Screenshot_2016-01-05-11-28-202_zpsqjouek1p.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af275/sglbass84/Copy/Screenshot_2016-01-05-11-28-202_zpsqjouek1p.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1452239449' post='2947852']
Damn! Where did you find that? It's not far off my perfect colour combo.

P
[/quote]

Ebay, buy it now. Think it had been on 10mins when I grabbed it. I always sort by newly listed so I get some bargains from time to time.