Why become a member? ×

Fender P Jazz

Stealth

Hi im looking for a Fender P bass with a Jazz neck. Apart from

The Mex Deluxe Specials
The Duff Special

Are there any others present or past that fit the bill ?

Has anyone fitted a status jazz neck to a mex/jap/us p body was it easy or a lutier moment ?

Ta Muchly

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1451740130' post='2942956']
The Nate Mendel Sig has a thinner neck than a regular Precision (not sure if down to Jazz width though), and there are a couple up for grabs on here at present as well.
[/quote]

The Nate is slimmer than your average P, but as you say, not Jazz width. The American Special P-basses have a similar profile but I think these have been discontinued now, or they're certainly rare these days.

A neck swap is a really simple job, especially if you buy a Fender licensed replacement neck (Fender, Allparts etc.)

Out of interest, what's putting you off the Mexican Deluxe? I'm just curious because I have one and it's a great bass!

Fender Precision Lyte has a very slim and shallow neck, along the lines of the Geddy Lee Jazz or Jaguar necks. Mine didn't quite sound exactly like a Precision, but near enough.

Not the Duff signature, but the one I'd look for is that model that was based on - mid 80s MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special. P body, J neck, PJ pickups. Or an active variant, the Power Jazz Bass Special. These change hands for silly low prices given the quality at £400 +/-

The original P-bass/J-neck model was when Duck Dunn put his own together. Fender issued it as a signature model some years ago. As listed above, there should be some Squier models available. The Fender/Squier web site has the specs on everything so you can surf to see what you want.

[quote name='Mikkoantt' timestamp='1451853271' post='2944102']
I have a Limelight Precision with jazz bass sadle widht in fiesta red. Amazing sounding and playing bass.
[/quote]

I played one exactly like that (it was for sale on here a while back, and I should have bought it!)
It was a superb bass. Mark will build you one to this spec

I have a 2000's US P, and while the neck is not Jazz width
It is slightly narrower than most older US P's, and certainly not as deep, front to back
The Squier Classic Vibe P in Fiesta red also has a very similar neck, and it's amazing quality
Have seen these go for around £250 second hand, and they're worth every penny of that

I'm amazed at just how much necks vary in dimension, within the same basic model / design

Good luck with your search :)

EDIT: Having seen FuNkShUi's post above
I now realise it was that bass I had played

Edited by Marc S

Aerodyne Made In Japan, superb instruments

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Fender+Aerodyne+Precision&site=webhp&tbm=isch&imgil=b4m8SULZLOy89M%253A%253BIm0677rKH4O8yM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fbasschat.co.uk%25252Ftopic%25252F125700-fender-aerodyne-classic-precision-bass-special-2006%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=b4m8SULZLOy89M%253A%252CIm0677rKH4O8yM%252C_&biw=1680&bih=925&usg=__BW4OVmaIAPeNM1ZI7_Wercgi2Os%3D&ved=0ahUKEwib0oylwKTKAhVCOhoKHbipDDIQyjcIVQ&ei=FBCVVpv4N8L0aLjTspAD#imgrc=b4m8SULZLOy89M%3A&usg=__BW4OVmaIAPeNM1ZI7_Wercgi2Os%3D

• 2 weeks later...