Why become a member? ×

Tecamp - no more?

franzbassist

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1451912064' post='2944446']
OK does this mean you now get bragging rights if you own what's going to be described as an 'original german-made' Tecamp?
[/quote]

Yeah of course it does.. Mine is German mine is German mine is German lol

My Puma 900 (German) is going nowhere, love it to bits

Oh and did I mention it is German :)

[quote name='ordep' timestamp='1451916624' post='2944534']
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=4]hah, meine TecAmp ist Deutsch too. :D[/size][/font]
[/quote]
[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1451916386' post='2944528']
Ian, that TecAmp PUMA 900 you have.

Is it German :mellow: ?
[/quote]

ja mein ist Deutsch auch

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mein Puma ist ein berliner.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]And Thomas helped me out with instructions on fitting a fan to it, as the later Puma 900s have (I'm not sure it's necessary after all that, I think that I misdiagnosed a speaker issue).[/font]

Incidentally, Puma 900 at Thomann (get 'em while they're hot) is about £650 inc VAT. Puma 900 from TecAmp USA is about £680 + VAT + duty + shipping, so they've jacked the price up by 25% (£30 + VAT). A Puma 900 will now cost a UK buyer about £835 plus postage. That should help destroy Tecamp's European market.

I have a 6 month old Puma 500 and sent Bass direct an email to ask if the warranty is sound in view of the situation.

Here is Mark's reply:

[color=#444444][font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=4]Hi -= your warranty is fine, Tecamp are just changing their name to Eich Amplification.[/size][/font][/color]

I just traded my Bona never had an issue with it and still have a Puma 300 as a back up and three cabs. But I got an interesting mail Jan 2 from a USA Contact giving me a heads up on all this TecAmp kerfuffle;

[i]" [/i][size=3][i]I don't know if I mentioned it in my email, but the Tecamp site is down, only a resignation letter from Thomas is up; his facebook site changed from Tecamp USA to Thomas Eich amplification well, let's see what happens; the weird thing is that Tecamp USA is selling here direct and they are practically now giving the Pumas away, which makes me a bit weary; Bona alleged that Thomas used cheaper Chinese made parts; some consumers here already have issues with the Puma 500, what a mess."[/i][/size]

[size=3]Rumour has it that Behringer may have something to do with this.....[/size]

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1451941343' post='2944921']
Here's a wild idea - how about we hold off posting unsubstantiated rumours, gossip, conjecture, unattributed emails and allegations from former endorsers until we actually have some substantial facts to discuss?
[/quote]
Umm.. you know this is the internet, don't you..?

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1451840653' post='2943892']
I have more than a slight issue with "artists" who prostitute themselves from company to company, Gear that was the Dogs whatsits last week can't just become stttty* gear the next week.
[/quote]This was my first thought. Remember the days when you had to buy your own gear Richard? Clearly not.

Sounds like the guy has lost a board room battle and is throwing his toys out of the pram. Possibly not the most professional response.

It happens. . . a lot. It's the staple of board rooms. Fender, Eden, GB and Lakland for example.

Whatever Eiche does, if Tecamp is profitable it will continue.

The timing of Thomas Eich's announcement (New Year's Day) does make me wonder if there was some sort of agreement in place that prevented him doing anything until the end of 2015, much like there's gardening leave for F1 engineers when they move from one team to another.

[size=4][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I queried Mark at Bass Direct and he says: "[i]Tecamp are changing their name to Eich Amplification (due to some idiot in the USA messing Tecamp around) and products will be rebadged with Eich Amplification - all warranties etc are valid so just a company name change[/i]"[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Interesting eh! I wonder who owns the "intellectual property" on the amps, particularly as the Tecamp USA site says they will be making them in the USA...[/font][/size]

The thing with these small esoteric bass amplification brands is that they are much more about the people who design and and create them then they are about the brand name.

So when a big company comes along and buys up one of them, all they seem to end up with is some no longer cutter edge designs, and as soon as the old owners non-compete period expires, they are back with newer and better products under a new name. Fender and Genz Benz being a case in point.