Why become a member? ×

New Darkglass goodies for 2016!

dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1451939899' post='2944880']
Doug did let on though that they'd analysed the original studio recording projects (made before Darkglass were even around) that were done with a combination of amps and plugins in order to replicate that sound using one pedal:

[media]http://youtu.be/Cjvtx3HMUks[/media]
[/quote]

Jon uses a Tech 21 Bass XXL for this live, and with his ashdown roaring gets pretty close!

Speaking of which I've been trying to find a Bass XXL for ages so if anyone has one for sale... hah!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1451994154' post='2945253']
Jon uses a Tech 21 Bass XXL for this live, and with his ashdown roaring gets pretty close!

Speaking of which I've been trying to find a Bass XXL for ages so if anyone has one for sale... hah!
[/quote]

They had one downstairs in the Bass Gallery last time I was there, maybe worth a call?

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1452011611' post='2945511']
Mark said there's a 4 week wait on the vmtd 2.0.

I honestly think this pedal is going to become the benchmark for always-on/light drive sounds.
[/quote]

Maybe. Not everyone is a fan though...

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1452021492' post='2945659']

What's not to love? It's now got the versatility of the b7k with the addition of the switches and extra mids controls, and is obviously a warm/vintage sounding pedal.
[/quote]

I find darkglass pedals are usually a bit to harsh for always on. Though i have been thinking of trying a b3k into bddi as a low/mid OD/boost.

What's not to love? It's now got the versatility of the b7k with the addition of the switches and extra mids controls, and is obviously a warm/vintage sounding pedal.
[/quote]

I've had b3k, b7k and vmt and wouldn't have any (or derivatives thereof) again. Maybe the eq of the vmtd would help dial out the fizzy harshness in the upper mids... or maybe not - doesn't on the b7k despite its apparent versatility, I tried.

Edited by Bigwan

[/quote]

True, but it's not the be-all and end-all of overdrive pedals. It has a very coloured baked in tone that doesn't suit all players and setups. I have a selection of basses and overdrive pedals and they don't all sound good with each other - the only bass of mine I liked with the Vintage Deluxe was my Precision with rounds. I still felt it was a bit too dull in the upper mids though, so I sold it to make way for the new one!

I had a B7K too, which frankly sounded awful on every bass I own except for an active Warwick Streamer 5 with dual humbuckers. It sounded amazing with that bass, proper grindy djenty stuff, but I downgraded to the B3K which happened to sound even better. I really didn't need my signal going through 2 separate EQ sections I guess!

Edited by dannybuoy

Glad to see a thread about Darkglass that isn't full of fan boys!

I must admit I love my B7K and it has solved loads of problems for me. I love the Darkglass brand and can't wait to try an Ultra, but it's nice to see some honest opinions of people that haven't got on with their stuff. Proof that no pedal is for everyone!

That said I can't wait to see what Darkglass bring out next.

[quote name='Dread Bass' timestamp='1452294185' post='2948735']
That said I do use my B7K as an always on and with only a hair of overdrive. I am surprised to see some describe it as harsh but then maybe I like harsh?
[/quote]

People who describe it as harsh are not using it properly. It is capable of far more than that :)

I just got a B7K at Xmas and don't find it harsh at all. I've got the drive and gain at less than 50% and have done a lot more fiddling with the EQ. I think it sounds great and my sound AFAIK is not harsh or nu-metal or anything. I find it very organic.

I'm using it straight into my Demeter Minnie 800 as a super-cool lightweight set-up :)

Edited by Billy Apple

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1452688308' post='2952397']
Anyone see this? I never use distortion personally but the EQ section on this thing sounds very good for those who like a clean tone.

[media]http://youtu.be/eFPCg9a5_mo[/media]
[/quote]

I was resisting until I watched that.

Preordered...

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1452688308' post='2952397']
Anyone see this? I never use distortion personally but the EQ section on this thing sounds very good for those who like a clean tone.

[media]http://youtu.be/eFPCg9a5_mo[/media]
[/quote]

The clean stuff all sounded great (actually VERY useful sounding preamp pedal!)... then the distortion went on and messed it all up! Yuk...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1452779517' post='2953405']
The clean stuff all sounded great (actually VERY useful sounding preamp pedal!)... then the distortion went on and messed it all up! Yuk...
[/quote]
Given that you don't like the B*K drive sound, what did you expect? ;)