Why become a member? ×

New Darkglass goodies for 2016!

dannybuoy

Im stoked about both of them. The Ultra is just the bass preamp to end all bass preamps, I was only chatting to Doug about it earlier today, and the Vintage now sounds like its worth another try.

Edited by Kev

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1451680264' post='2942462']
That ultra is lush .........shuder to think how much it will be mind?
[/quote]

£40 more than the standard version, looks well worth the upgrade!

https://m.thomann.de/gb/darkglass_microtubes_b7k_ultra.htm

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1451682113' post='2942499']
No information on the ultra on the Darkglass site. I'm guessing that it is still in the prototype stage.
[/quote]

There are a series of new product announcements coming in January. The new Vintage Deluxe has been officially announced and should be in stores this month, the new B7K ultra and the yet to be seen amp should be announced very soon. I assume it's well past the prototype stage and Thomann have just listed it early (intentionally or not, I'm not sure!)

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1451686380' post='2942554']
Can't wait! :lol: Although having said that, I thought the era knob added so much versatility. With the b7k ultra do you think you would be able to set a light od/vintage sound with the bypass or will it just completely bypass the drive circuit?
[/quote]

The era knob has been hardwired to fully clockwise, whereas anything you could do with the era knob can be recreated with the two mid controls. A bit more fiddly perhaps, but certainly no less versatile, quite the opposite :)

From what I understand, the ultra it is a completely clean pre with the distortion off as per the B7K blend fully anticlockwise. Distortion on effectively brings in a B3K circuit before the preamp. Its a logical evolution and the extra mid controls and master volume knob really set this up to be a killer upgrade.

I'm not sure I would trust the Thomann price though, they have got it pretty wrong before.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1451755289' post='2943149']
I'll not be rushing out to buy any of them I have to say. I suspect I'd feel the same as I have about all the Darkglass stuff I've owned... Meh...
[/quote]

Probably :) The B7K Ultra will sound as you would expect, but I'm interested to hear how the new eq switches affect the tone. However, the Deluxe I imagine will have a lot more going for it as a standalone pedal with the attack and grunt switching, as well as the extra mid band.

Just anxiously waiting for official pictures and full specs of the Amplifier now :)

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1451757620' post='2943173']
Ah, first glimpse of the Jon Stockman distortion, sounded good in the couple of sound clip teasers posted over the last few months, hopefully aesthetics improve ;)

[/quote] now thats interesting, looks like basically a b3k with some b7k bit thrown in, love stockman's dirt sound

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1451755289' post='2943149']
I'll not be rushing out to buy any of them I have to say. I suspect I'd feel the same as I have about all the Darkglass stuff I've owned... Meh...
[/quote]

Me too. Very underwhelmed.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1451899924' post='2944308']
There's an Ultra version of the Vintage planned for April release too.
[/quote]

That's the one I'm waiting for :)

Edited by Kev

Doug did let on though that they'd analysed the original studio recording projects (made before Darkglass were even around) that were done with a combination of amps and plugins in order to replicate that sound using one pedal:

http://youtu.be/Cjvtx3HMUks

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1451939899' post='2944880']
Doug did let on though that they'd analysed the original studio recording projects (made before Darkglass were even around) that were done with a combination of amps and plugins in order to replicate that sound using one pedal:

[media]http://youtu.be/Cjvtx3HMUks[/media]
[/quote]

love that song, can feel my wallet getting a tad scared!