Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on Intonation?

Fisheth

So I'm sitting here trying to Intonate my Mexican Harris and the strings aren't staying perfectly in tune once intonated, is this a sign that I need new strings on it? (This is my first attempt at doing this, I often left it to a shop to do, but I wanted to learn over the new year) Or is there something else that it could be?

Well technically they should stay in tune however I have done a lot of intonating and unless you have a very good strobe tuner which I do indeed have it's hard to get everything that perfect. I don't care what people say your bog standard tuner will only do so well which normally is very good! But not perfect.

And yes if your strings are old then it can effect stability, I've noticed this doing a lot of setup work, old strings and strings that have been messed around with, can but not always act in strange ways.

After intonation make sure the strings are nicely seated by pressing down with your thumb above the saddle, you will need to retune etc but ensures that it's not a seating issue. Which again from experience happens often on fender bridges, Less so on the threaded type.

After the stretch-in strings should stay in tune but I'm of the opnion, they have a finite life.
After that, they need binning, IMO.

No need for sospicated tuners unless you are charging for it, you should be able to hear if the
intonation is out..otherwise a basic tuner will do the open string and 12th fret well enough.

Yep, once strings reach a certain point they need to go - that point for me being when they won`t hold tuning, as I`ve found that as I prefer the sound of old roundwounds with treble on the amp maxed rather than shiny new sounding rounds I try and keep them as long as possible. I usually get 3 - 6 months out of a set, once I find at rehearsal I`m having to tune up between each song that`s it, they`re gonners.

For me it is when the string just feels gunked up..and not really pleasant to play.
That oftens detemines the strings are off the bass before the sound goes..
as there is a lot of variation in the sound you want to hear.

So, a clean up will give them a new lease of life as far as I'm concerned
as long as you don't have to rewind them...as this will promote a weakness
in the string over a few cleans, IME

Does anyone actually know what Intonation is. ? Play a harmonic on the 12th fret of the E string and then play the open string. if they sound the same your intonation is good. try this on every string.. if its out adjust your saddle position. Intonation is the open string harmonic string relationship. like TwinCam said remember to stretch your string, and always wind up to tune up.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1451704363' post='2942662']
Does anyone actually know what Intonation is. ? Play a harmonic on the 12th fret of the E string and then play the open string. if they sound the same your intonation is good. try this on every string.. if its out adjust your saddle position. Intonation is the open string harmonic string relationship. like TwinCam said remember to stretch your string, and always wind up to tune up.
[/quote]

Surely you are forgetting the 12th fret octave?

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1451704363' post='2942662']
[/quote]

You're meant to compare the harmonic with the note fretted at the 12th fret, not the open string.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1451774965' post='2943400']

You're meant to compare the harmonic with the note fretted at the 12th fret, not the open string.
[/quote]

Yeah hit the open, then harmonic and the the 12th fret. They should all be the same. If not then adjust, then retune the open after each adjustment then retest harmonic and 12th fret.

Oddly though many used bass guitars I've bought have not been intonated and often they are from gigging musicians. What's that all about.
Saying that man basses can't get perfect intonation (looking at you hofner, literally shaking my head at a hofner right now).

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1451776074' post='2943417']
If you've got a good chromatic tuner, do you even need to sound the harmonics? I tend to check the tuning pretty much at the 'dotted' positions all the way up the neck up to and including the 21st and (where available) the 24th fretted notes.
[/quote]

Other than the harmonic and 12th, with open an octave below, the only other fret I check is the 17th. Can't remember why, there was a reason I'm sure...

See the 8 string build in my sig for ultimate intonation :). The Buzz Feitin system is good, but there are still compromises. Whereas the true temperament system gets perfect intonation on each and every fret...something which is not possible with regular straight frets. Despite what Buzz Feitin claim.

I'm not 100% sure what kind of issue the OP is having. If it's that the tuning changes when you move the saddles when setting intonation then that's normal.

If the bass is just generally not holding tune, then it's not really an intonation issue, as setting the intonation should not really effect the tuning stability of the bass. It could be the setup at the nut or old strings, have you recently changed string gauge? If you ever hear a 'ping' when tuning then the nut could be pinching the strings. Or if not, are the strings extremely old as suspected by others (and myself!)?

If the intonation is not staying where it's set and the tuning is drifting then possibilities are the strings as already mentioned or the saddles are not holding firmly in place.

If you cannot set the intonation correctly it could be the nut throwing things out, or again old strings (but less likely in this case). This is assuming the bridge is mounted in the correct place!

So, changing strings is a good idea if they have been on for a while! :)

Edited by Manton Customs