Why become a member? ×

January Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

[quote name='Bleat' timestamp='1452219686' post='2947819']
[url="https://soundcloud.com/foolsjourney/voyage-of-the-butterfly-boat"]https://soundcloud.com/foolsjourney/voyage-of-the-butterfly-boat[/url]

Cheers
James
:)
[/quote]

Lovely piece of music. Nice themes and motives and builds
well with the change of Instruments and arrangement.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1452545662' post='2951107']
Lovely piece of music. Nice themes and motives and builds
well with the change of Instruments and arrangement.
[/quote]

Cheers lowdown, a very kind comment.

It still needs a fair amount of work regards arrangement and general playing standard, a lot was just rough copy n paste and throwing different bits on top .....but it's great that the esscence of the idea is coming over to the listener for now :) .

[quote name='Rikki1984' timestamp='1452547670' post='2951133']
QFT

I love how it builds throughout the piece.
[/quote]

Thanks for the comment Rikki,...is QFT a bit like WTF?

James.

I'm in this month. If I get time later on I will remix this a bit. Exaggerate the horns etc. However this is it for now. I combined the melancholy of the rain picture with the ridiculousness (no disrespect intended) of the butterfly picture to create a song about drinking and the crazy ideas you come up with when you've had a few two many and how the silliest of things have great magesty and significance when you're a few sheets to the wind (pun intended).

https://soundcloud.com/theboysings/my-boat-of-butterflies

Edited by the boy

Good to see a good few entries already. I've got mine almost complete.
I had started doing something more rock based, but the more I looked at the pics, the less what I was dong related to it.
So I started again, plugged in the keyboard & played some lekky piano, laid some beats down (playing the piano keys) & then plugged in my bass & played. Pretty laid back & the Mrs likes it too.

I'll get it finished next week. :)

Really good tracks in already! Good work everyone.

Mine is finally underway. I acquired a new bass over Christmas (a fretless acoustic, now strung with tape wounds) and I’ve been plucking away with various jazzy, walking basslines since I got it. Love the tone - it’s as close as I’ll probably get to an upright without actually owning one, which is good enough for me [size=2](for now…).[/size]

Anyway, the ‘water spatter’ photo made me think of a brush kit so I’ve been jamming some ideas along those lines. I pretty much have the bassline recorded and now need to add some other instruments - ideally some horns and perhaps a Rhodes if I can find the time to do so convincingly. We’ll see!

I must admit that what I have so far doesn’t ‘sound’ much like the photos. If I’m honest it’s been more heavily inspired by my newly acquired acoustic… but maybe if I include the word 'fluttery' in the description I can blag it ;)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1453199034' post='2957236']

I must admit that what I have so far doesn’t ‘sound’ much like the photos. If I’m honest it’s been more heavily inspired by my newly acquired acoustic… but maybe if I include the word 'fluttery' in the description I can blag it ;)
[/quote]
Doh... Busted.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1453200716' post='2957262']
Doh... Busted.
[/quote]

Dammit :P

I do at least have a brush kit backing track, which sounds [i]"like the patter of rain on a January day, whilst contemplating the Butterfly Effect of cause and consequence at the start of a New Year".[/i]

Honest. That's exactly what's been going through my head.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1453208548' post='2957371']
Dammit :P

I do at least have a brush kit backing track, which sounds [i]"like the patter of rain on a January day, whilst contemplating the Butterfly Effect of cause and consequence at the start of a New Year".[/i]

Honest. That's exactly what's been going through my head.
[/quote]
of course it has.... <_<

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1453247120' post='2957904']
I've got one in the works for this month too. I've been playing with my new Komplete Kontrol S61 and Komplete 10. I need to mix it and tweak one of the instruments and it should be ready. :)
[/quote]
No pressure, but listening to your track is gonna help me decide if I go for the S61 or go for the Nektar P6.
The S61 has the great software, but the P6 has more sliders & pads & has better control of Logic (& I could buy Massive separately).