Why become a member? ×

January Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

[size=5][color=#800000][b]Happy New Year everyone! [/b][/color][/size] :drinks:

[size=5]We start 2016 with a double-header, courtesy of last month's winners [b]Alibabu[/b] and [b]Bleat[/b]...[/size]

[size=2]Chosen by Alibabu:[/size]
[size=5][size=4][/size][/size]

[size=2]Chosen by Bleat:[/size]

[size=5]Click on the 'Spoiler' button below to read the usual rules and caveats:[/size]

[spoiler]By entering the competition you agree to the Basschat Terms and Conditions and Forum Guidelines, which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:

[b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive.[/b] If your track contains explicit lyrics, for example, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.

[b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants. If we spot any breaches of copyright then your track will be removed from the competition.

[b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating![/spoiler]

If you have any questions, just ask!

[b][color=#800000][size=5]The deadline for entries is midnight on Sunday 24th January.[/size][/color][/b]

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1451650663' post='2942048']
You always are, Len. You always are :D
[/quote]

:P
I'm off to see how many notes I can squeeze into a "song" where every single one of them sounds not only wrong, but such that even Steve Lacy would consider it to be a tuneless cacophony!

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1451650935' post='2942050']
Why don't they just fly on the backs of the butterflies? It makes no sense.
[/quote]
You've got it wrong. The giant butterflies stole their boat & left them stranded on the rocks.
They did put up a fight & managed to kill 2 of the giant butterflies though. One's on the rocks & the other is downed in the sea.

2 appropriate pics to what December's weather has been. Water & wind.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1451652167' post='2942076']
You've got it wrong. The giant butterflies stole their boat & left them stranded on the rocks.
They did put up a fight & managed to kill 2 of the giant butterflies though. One's on the rocks & the other is downed in the sea.
[/quote]

....the perfect scene for creating some sort of "camp-metal" track :D

Good luck to everyone, I probably won't be joining in this month.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1451652167' post='2942076']

2 appropriate pics to what December's weather has been. Water & wind.
[/quote]

Ah , That makes sense now :) , though on a technical level , it would appear that the butterflies themselves have attached themselves to the wrong side of the masts. I would of thought that the most efficient use of the butterflies aerodynamics would be to have the wind to the underside of their wings. This thinking would suggest that the butterflies should be facing the rear of the ship , it is all well and good making up these fantasy type images but the artists should at least apply some physics to give the idea some credence :D

[quote name='Bleat' timestamp='1451652768' post='2942089']
....the perfect scene for creating some sort of "camp-metal" track :D
[/quote]

I'm trying to look at both pics together & all I can hear is Immigrant Song.
Not a bad song by any means, but a bummer when you're trying to come up with an idea. I might use it as the musical inspiration as it's still linked in with the pics.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1451653550' post='2942097']
This thinking would suggest that the butterflies should be facing the rear of the ship , it is all well and good making up these fantasy type images but the artists should at least apply some physics to give the idea some credence :D
[/quote]

They realised that the ship is actually reversing back to shore.....to pick up the thin people <_<
I've got 12 hours to either compose a piece or get ready for the airport..........I wish you all a happy month and I look forward to the weird and wacky stuff on my return....

nige

I can't remember what happens when there are two pictures. Do we choose one or must we work with both? Not that I'm stressing about it. Honest I'm cool. This two pictures scenario hasn't sent me into a spiralling panicking frenzy, reaching for the bottle 22hrs into my year of sobriety. Can someone help me out here. Butterflies hate the rain, it makes sh*t of their wings. The pictures are too opposing.

Is that thing on the ground in rainy picture one a dead butterfly? If it is then I'm definitely having a drink. This may have to be some whining acoustic introspective love song about my fear of holding you so tight that I might crush you. I'm not sure why this is affecting me so much. I'm a blubbering mess.

If I could get a word in edgeways ;) ... You can pretty much choose whatever aspect from whatever picture you choose , for me I think the story is in the second one so that's were the focus will be , but the first one being Rain , might provide the style of the piece , I'm thinking Quo :D
So maybe if the picture was turned inside out the, the picture is inside someones stomach and they are so nervous they are going to ship themselves.

As per normal I reserve the right to completley miss my own brief by a country mile :blush:

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1451728920' post='2942752']

As per normal I reserve the right to completley miss my own brief by a country mile :blush:
[/quote]

For some reason I see the inside of a large music shop; there's a drummer, fiddling about, a keybord player or 2 testing attack and intonation, and 2 bass players noodling.
All are oblivious to each other, or the pained looks of the shop staff or other customers... But then it is raining outside!

You won't be laughing when you hear it! It'll be like when a dog eats a rotting rabbit, then sits beside you, slowly leaking.
There'll be gagging and choking, a stampede for the exits, and the Government's COBRA committee will have to have a special sitting...
Though it's possible I may take pity on the world, and produce some clavinet-based funk with an ear-splitting fake-guitar solo at the end as a nod to modernism!

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1451731730' post='2942802']
You won't be laughing when you hear it! It'll be like when a dog eats a rotting rabbit, then sits beside you, slowly leaking.
There'll be gagging and choking, a stampede for the exits, and the Government's COBRA committee will have to have a special sitting...
Though it's possible I may take pity on the world, and produce some clavinet-based funk with an ear-splitting fake-guitar solo at the end as a nod to modernism!
[/quote]
Ok.... Got it.....

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1451728920' post='2942752']
If I could get a word in edgeways ;) ... You can pretty much choose whatever aspect from whatever picture you choose , for me I think the story is in the second one so that's were the focus will be , but the first one being Rain , might provide the style of the piece , I'm thinking Quo :D
So maybe if the picture was turned inside out the, the picture is inside someones stomach and they are so nervous they are going to ship themselves.

[/quote]
Get a word in edgeways. It's only taken you ten hours to get back to me. I've been up all night fretting away the Wee small hours. :D

I'm really enjoying this. I've never tried to write a song in this way before, with the random/surreal imagery as a starting point. It's quite fun and the deadline is the kick in the hole I tend to need. I have most of the music done. I'm going to try lyrics and singing on this. It may backfire, but I reckon it's worth a try, see how it goes. There's a while to go before a desperate rush to turn it into an instrumental begins :lol: