Why become a member? ×

Starting a band without a gigging audience in mind

lojo

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452206016' post='2947729']
Maybe, for Gary it was probably easy. However I'm sure their set list was a little different than 4 hours worth of bar band material at least 60 different songs.

Blue
[/quote]

yep...I know which would easier to wing... and it wouldn't be a bar set

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1452643184' post='2952063']
I tend to use jam nights to get my frustrations out of my system and play stuff my band can't do.... with a built-in receptive audience.
You could do that with like-minded people and build up a set and then see if you can manage two bands or not.
[/quote]

Not in Milwaukee.

Blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1452712046' post='2952814']

yep...I know which would easier to wing... and it wouldn't be a bar set
[/quote]

It was just an example of what musicians can do with some talent, experience and application within a limited timespan.

Drumming is slightly different but I've had a pro drummer stand in for a gig. I sent him a list in the morning and in the evening he played a three hour set. Bass wise, I've played pit from sight reading and gigs from charts while the guitarist gave me cues. It's not impossible to play a gig with only a few hours notice.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1452943081' post='2954885']
It was just an example of what musicians can do with some talent, experience and application within a limited timespan.

Drumming is slightly different but I've had a pro drummer stand in for a gig. I sent him a list in the morning and in the evening he played a three hour set. Bass wise, I've played pit from sight reading and gigs from charts while the guitarist gave me cues. It's not impossible to play a gig with only a few hours notice.
[/quote]

I was being sarcastic... no comparison between a bar set and a main tour.

Not unknown to to do whole set in a bar as a jam... if you have the players, the pub wont know, tbh.
It is just a case of following the lead.