Why become a member? ×

NBD - Wal Mk2 (and a bit of dark humour)

Wolverinebass

So, I figure I'd better get round to this. On the 18th December, I popped down to pick the bass up at Wal and had a good chat with Paul Herman who was not only a lovely man, but very accomodating to changing the setup for me as I am someone who likes a stupidly low action for the most part. Not only that he gave me a lift back to the station as I have a wrecked knee and carrying something reasonably heavy like a bass in a case over a long period would be not much fun the next day.

So here we go, this is my Mark 2 with Sycamore facings, ebony fretboard and gloss finish on both the body and neck. After giving myself a few days to get used to it, I thought I'd put up some not so great camera shots.

The bass is of course fantastic as you'd expect. Unless of course you hate Wals in which case you'll think it's rubbish. Fair play. This took 22 months though Paul quoted me 20. Not that I was annoyed at this as I knew what was going on whenever I asked. It was worth waiting for. It's probably the only bolt on bass that I've ever played that doesn't feel like a bolt on.

Now for the dark humour. Over crimbo, my mum and brother were down. On the evening of the 23rd, my brother had a seizure in the back garden. Deep joy. He's not on good form, but isn't an epileptic so we shall see. However, the joke of all this is that he was sleeping out in my studio and sneaked out to have a cigarette. As I couldn't play in the house I was just playing the Wal unplugged to familiarise myself with the neck profile a bit more. I was just putting it in the case when all this kicked off. So, I get out and see to my brother and make sure he doesn't swallow his tongue or bite it off.

I didn't hear this, but as the 3 paramedics arrived the case in the kitchen was still open and the 2nd paramedic said according to my wife "Ooooh, is that a Wal? Hopefully I'll have a bit of time for a chat afterwards." This was before they had even got to see what state he was in.

Needless to say when my wife told me this I was killing myself with laughter. So, if you're the bass playing paramedic (I don't forget faces, so send me a PM) I'm quite happy to have a chat and say thanks properly.

Thanks for the kind comments chaps. I really love the bass and now that Mrs Wolverine has said "No More!!" that'll be me done unless I sell something, which I'm not going to do frankly!! I was going to get a 50's precision, but I think that may be off the cards unless I keep it in my studio, but that's for some other time...

I figure my brother's seizure was status eplilepticus caused by a lifetime of drinking though only tests will confirm one way or another. He's 10 years older than me and pretends there's no problem. What made the whole incident hilarious was the fact that seemingly, I got the only bass playing paramedic in south east London and he happened to notice my new Wal. Even Mrs Wolverine thought that was quite silly. How many people other than bass players would even recognise a Wal anyway? The number of times I gigged with the Status Buzzard and folk asked me "Is that a BC Rich?...."