Why become a member? ×

Have strings lead you to sell basses?

Grangur

Another thread here has got me thinking about this. I've got 6-7 basses. At any one month-is I play 2-3 of them regularly. The others only get picked up on occasions; usually just to compare something.

My "problem" is when I decide to change things round and play an old favourite I find the strings have gone dead and they need changing. This can get crazy; changing almost unplayed strings. My solution could be to sell the bass.

What do you think /do ?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1451551325' post='2941380']
Another thread here has got me thinking about this. I've got 6-7 basses. At any one month-is I play 2-3 of them regularly. The others only get picked up on occasions; usually just to compare something.

My "problem" is when I decide to change things round and play an old favourite I find the strings have gone dead and they need changing. This can get crazy; changing almost unplayed strings. My solution could be to sell the bass.

What do you think /do ?
[/quote]

How long has it taken for strings to go dead on an unplayed bass? I would have thought this was more like year(s) than months.

Can't say I've ever had this problem with any guitars or basses.
I've just sold a guitar that I bought about a year ago. I restrung it when I bought it & then just didn't play it. When I got it out of the case this week to check it over the strings were like new.
I also go for months at a time without picking up a bass & never have this happen. I do keep my basses & guitars in hard cases when not being used though.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1451551325' post='2941380']

What do you think /do ?
[/quote]

Perhaps you're more likely to change the strings on your basses du jour and so the reserves bench sound a little dull ?

Just a thought.

Edited by ahpook

I wonder if it is just a case of coming back to a bass that you are not 100% taken with the sound of....I have a Jazz that just will not sound good irrespective of strings / pick ups, wiring etc....I have changed the lot and it still sounds dead, I have just A/B tested it with a dirt cheap project I have put together over Christmas and the flipping project sounds loads better for some reason!

Yes in my first year or so of playing I sold basses that looking back where fine it's the fact I had a combination of wrong strings and bad technique. Actually I still struggle with some strings and it depends on a song by song basis so if a bass is sensitive to different strings I will get rid even though it's really just me.
But genuinely some models are sensitive to different strings, string age etc.
Also fender bridges imo (non string through) seem too not like old strings and can sound funny, maybe the break angle affects this.

Flats seem a good way too go, and the fender tapewounds are good for lasting wish the tapes were a bit higher tension. But you can mess about with them also a little more than rounds.

Nice thoughts here. Many thanks.

This might be a bit of a noob question, perhaps? This is prompted by my bringing my Thumb out of it's case and beginning to concentrate on using it as I'm wanting to give the 5er a go. Then i found the E and D strings a bit lacking in gusto. I think they're D'Adarrio rounds. I changed them when I got the bass, tinkered a bit. Got fed up and stored it, then recently got it out of the case and "got real" about playing a 5. I've heard tell of strings going dull in the packet and thought this was a case of this.

As BottomE says:
[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1451556816' post='2941436']
As long as the bass is in a case and away from moisture the strings should maintain their brightness. It is an issue though isn't it when you have a herd of basses and want to replace say, 7 sets of strings. £210 approx for my fav strings! Makes you think.
[/quote]

Generally I use Elixirs most of my basses, but of late I've been toying with Fender strings, but on a fretless I've got chromes. Thanks for the recommendation to keep most basses in cases.

And, yes, I do like flats. Maybe I'll go down that line or stick with Elixirs. And sell the duff basses... did I really say that!?!?

I love the sound of old strings much more bump then sparkle ...and i like to bump

flats would love to chang..e to these ...but i like to feel the round wound bite on my fingers especially on my playing hand (non fretting hand which is the right hand for me)

sure ive seen old bass s being sold with the original strings and this has been a selling feature .....