Why become a member? ×

Old Front Door and a Shelf....

Jabba_the_gut

[quote name='paulnb57' timestamp='1452607117' post='2951539']
Me too! Something to aspire to Andy?

Just kidding!
[/quote]
Many a true word, Paul :D

I always look at other people's builds and think "DAMN! I wish I'd thought of that" The last time I thought that big-style, as it happens, was when I saw Jabba's builds at last year's Midlands Basschat bash and thought how much better his builds looked than ANY of mine, particularly with his use of demarcation veneer.
Look familiar with yours truly's latest build? ;) :

I was stunned at the quality of Jabba's builds that he brought to the bash. Truly inspirational and aspirational!

Mind you, Jabba....I'd like to see you beat that camphor B) :P :lol:

Edited by Andyjr1515

Cheers for all the comments and suggestions - much appreciated. There's lots to learn and always some part or method for all aspects that I didn't previsouly know about or wasn't ware of.

Andy - Gotta say that Camphor is really nice. Shame you will have handed it over before the bass bash, would have been nice to see to see what I need to beat next time!! ;)

I've found something that might be good to recycle into a scratchplate for this build and quite an unlikely source. I've finished a notepad that I picked up at a meeting once and noticed the back cover is black plastic and about 1.5mm thick. It's really hard wearing and has a slight grain on the front.

Hopefully it will cut ok. I will to reshape the scratchplate a little - I'll give it a try in the next couple of days!

My issue now is that I need to find something to make the fretboard from so the majority of this bass is recycled from something. I was thinking about a spare board I have already but now I would much prefer to find something to make one from. Have to see if I can find some olf furniture at the tip!!

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

Your ingenuity knows no bounds, Jabba! Impeccable green credentials using recycled materials, too! And as far as I can tell from the pics it looks to me like the colour and texture of the notepad cover might actually be a really good match for the top on this build - here's hoping we'll be able to see it in the flesh at the Bash this May!

I suppose it depends on whether you like the tarnished brass look. It'll dull down to a sort of bronze colour. It could be lacquered to preserve the shine if you wanted to.

I've got a brass sundial my dad made a note that was mirror finish when it was new, but the tarnish looks lovely now it's a few years old. Still scratch free but just browner if that makes sense.

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1452964078' post='2955169']
Cut the scratchplate today from the plastic that was in the back of a notebook - really pleased with it!! I've also done a little bit of rough shaping of the corners. Quite looking forward to seeing how this turns out!!
[/quote]
I use the same notebook back plastic for all sorts: cutting pads, templates, shims. It's great stuff :)
Never thought of it for a scratch plate, though. Brilliant!

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the comments. I've got some bits of hardware that I've accumulated along the way that I'll use - most of it is cheap stuff bought direct from China on eBay I the past. I am still thinking of making a piezo bridge for one of these basses hence one of them does not have any holes drilled on the plate for controls, just a jack socket.

I've also got my hands on a bit more scrap wood that might be good, including what looks like another block of teak.

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1454148709' post='2966884']
Cheers for the comments. I've got some bits of hardware that I've accumulated along the way that I'll use - most of it is cheap stuff bought direct from China on eBay I the past. I am still thinking of making a piezo bridge for one of these basses hence one of them does not have any holes drilled on the plate for controls, just a jack socket.

I've also got my hands on a bit more scrap wood that might be good, including what looks like another block of teak.

[/quote] Hardware from China is a lottery so have you found any gems.

Quite agree regarding the Chinese hardware - I've found this to be a lottery. I've ordered maybe 4 sets of tuners in the past and 2 sets have been really good, the other two would be fine except the washer/ferrule has been the wrong size. I also bought the bridge being used on this build which is okay but the chrome plating isn't the best. None of these have been a patch on the Schaller tuners I've used before which I've found to be excellent (and have been very helpful when I'd managed to lose a ferrule once). Ultimately, you get the quality you pay for!!

Cheers for all the comments. I have to say, I'm really enjoying doing this build. I need a few more bits of wood yet but things are getting there!!

Tonight I started roughing out a piece of wood that I'm hoping to make a piezo loaded bridge from. I've made a template for the basic shape but have not done too much more than to have cut a nice slot. Will go back in the garage tomorrow and try to shape this.