Why become a member? ×

Barefaced choice

Kevin Dean

I currently use a Super 12T It's great , but I want something that's going to be higher for nearside monitoring , Alex suggested the Big Twin ll , (two BB2s is a bit to costly for me ) As I only have the tweeter on slightly , I'm wondering if I might be better off with two Gen 3 super compacts , for two reasons , The height will be better & the the speakers are higher in the cab , & my back isn't great these days . I mostly play plectrum style . another question is would the two compacts move more air than a Big twin ll as there are more ports ?

Looking at the range, I reckon Alex made his recommendation based on both the quoted pick style and the high frequency horn/speaker in the Big Twin 2. Though the Super Compact will go to the same frequencies as the Super 12T without the tweeter, just adding in a little bit on the S12T does make a fair difference (fresh in my mind as I did this last night).

What I did for a while was get a case for my leads from Flightcasewarehouse, and put the S12T on top of that - raised it some 9/10 inches. Must admit it didn`t seem to make much difference as the cab is just so good.

Love the idea of two BB2s though - pretty much a dream rig, plenty of power and tall enough on-stage as well. I can`t use my two S12Ts stacked as am too paranoid about them toppling - not that I need the pair of them for many gigs anyway.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1451476904' post='2940750']
Might be easier and a lot cheaper to get some kind of stand or something to angle the cab so you can hear it?
[/quote] I always place the my pa mixer on top of my rack amp that sits on top of the cab as we play in pretty tight areas . & I've tried that type of amp before they just don't get as good as sound out front without PA support .

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1451477023' post='2940751']
Sit a Super Compact under the 212 and use a 2 ohm amp.
[/quote]
I love my Ashdown, plus that would be too high . I also tried raising it onto flight case but that effected the sound .

Edited by Kevin Dean

Oddly enough I had the same thing with mine.I made myself an Isolation riser ( I didn't realize that you could buy them!) except the I made some of the rear foot detachable, so the cab leans back a 5 - 10 degrees and its 3 inches higher anyway. Its not much but it made a difference.

I have two BF Supercompacts. TBH I can't imagine many occasions when I would 'need' both although I do use both sometimes just, you know, because I can :) One is plenty loud enough. Currently use a Trace Elliot 300W head, which is louder than my TC Electronic RH750, and one of my bands is a very loud rock covers band with a particularly loud drummer.

For using one cab I bought one of these to raise it up by 39cm. It is by far the easiest thing to use that I have tried - a folding step-stool. It kind of formalises the old beer crate idea. I think mine was £8.99 on eBay but you can get them all over the place.

Edited by Paul S

Guest bassman7755

As I've mentioned before a cab tilting stand is a good option, only problem is having the amp on top an angled cab but that can be sorted by using some high grip matting. Buying a second cab is a very expensive option (but does admittedly look the business). Also stacked cabs have poorer vertical dispersion than a single cab which can partially cancel the benefit of the greater height.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1451824459' post='2943678']
If you have a cab on the floor and you can't hear it... dispersion is the least of your problems.

Basically you have researched poorly ...also, your sound needs working at
As for taking a large box along to put said cab on..?? ???
[/quote]

That's a really helpful post :mellow:

Would you care to elaborate?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1451484504' post='2940858']
Looking at the range, I reckon Alex made his recommendation based on both the quoted pick style and the high frequency horn/speaker in the Big Twin 2. Though the Super Compact will go to the same frequencies as the Super 12T without the tweeter, just adding in a little bit on the S12T does make a fair difference (fresh in my mind as I did this last night).

What I did for a while was get a case for my leads from Flightcasewarehouse, and put the S12T on top of that - raised it some 9/10 inches. Must admit it didn`t seem to make much difference as the cab is just so good.

Love the idea of two BB2s though - pretty much a dream rig, plenty of power and tall enough on-stage as well. I can`t use my two S12Ts stacked as am too paranoid about them toppling - not that I need the pair of them for many gigs anyway.
[/quote] According to their web site to Super 12T range is 37---22 kHz & the super compact is only 37--4khz , I do have the horn on about 35--40% So the compact & Midget might be the way to go , As Alex advised I'll probably get the compact first & try it .

I raise my S12T to ear level, works pretty fine.

Can't you get a firm base to lift your cab a bit? Maybe a Hardcase or something (just be sure to get an anti-slide mat to put under the cab's feet and wheels, i had mine sliding along a hardcase and stopping near the case's edge on one gig, never again!). If the mixer is a problem put it on top of the guitar amp... :ph34r:

Edit:

Edited by Ghost_Bass

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1451907266' post='2944392']
According to their web site to Super 12T range is 37---22 kHz & the super compact is only 37--4khz , I do have the horn on about 35--40% So the compact & Midget might be the way to go , As Alex advised I'll probably get the compact first & try it .
[/quote]

4 khz response is what you would normally get from a 10 loaded cab without tweeter so that should give you some idea of what the top end is going to be like. I used to use 10 loaded cabs with tweeters but find that I dont miss the top end particularly even with a G2 compact (which doesnt go quite as high as the super) especially in a band mix.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1451893859' post='2944267']
That's a really helpful post :mellow:

Would you care to elaborate?
[/quote]

Ok, to start with

The cab can't produce sounds you can hear so you need to elevate it...which is kind of at odds
for a light load. Or you carry another cab to do the same job..again, defeating the object
or putting it on a flight case, makiing the whole deal heavier and/or a double carry/load.

And that is without dealing with the sound

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1451938723' post='2944856']

Ok, to start with

The cab can't produce sounds you can hear so you need to elevate it...which is kind of at odds
for a light load. Or you carry another cab to do the same job..again, defeating the object
or putting it on a flight case, makiing the whole deal heavier and/or a double carry/load.

And that is without dealing with the sound
[/quote]I am still struggling to see/hear your points unless you are a Barefaced Troll.

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1452168845' post='2947163']
I am still struggling to see/hear your points unless you are a Barefaced Troll.
[/quote]

If it is too hard for you to understand...

It's not a one cab solution if you need a another cab to put on top.

I don't subscribe to single 12's anyway (read single chassis cabs)... but if you do, and you can't hear it
then you haven't really thought it thru. So you need to raise it off the floor
and carry something to facilitate that. That can be another cab .....defeating the object
for a one cab solution..or bring a box to put it on... which is going to nullify any desired weight
saves.

I've not mentioned the maker myself so the point stands generally but the main selling point
of those cabs is weight.

Edited by JTUK

I don't carry a box with me to lift the cab, on big stages there's allways hardcases from FOH that i can use to lift it. On pubs i have a amp stand to lift it and it does weight a lot less than all the other gear we have to cart in, including PA, instruments and amps so it's irrelevant. Sometimes i even use a chair or another thing from the pub.

Regarding the sound, i hear my cab perfectly fine if it sits on the floor but if i lift it i can use it at less volume because it's pointing directly to my ears and i also remove that floor coupling bass reinforcement that most of the time is unwanted on stage (i have subs in the PA to take care of the big lows, don't need them mudding my stage sound).

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1452174748' post='2947264']
If it is too hard for you to understand...
[/quote]

I would politely suggest that your writing style does not make your posts easy to follow, regardless of whether anyone agrees with the content or not. I am picking up that you think the OP has chosen unwisely and that you do not rate their sound (despite having never heard them, I presume), but it's hard to make out exactly what you are trying to say.

[quote]It's not a one cab solution if you need a another cab to put on top.

I don't subscribe to single 12's anyway (read single chassis cabs)... but if you do, and you can't hear it
then you haven't really thought it thru. So you need to raise it off the floor
and carry something to facilitate that That can be another cab .....defeating the object
for a one cab solution..or bring a box to put it on... which is going to nullify any desired weight
saves.[/quote]

The cab the OP is talking about is a 2x12", not one with a single driver. Anything short of a fridge sized cab (or perhaps a slim vertical stack) is going to be at less than ear height, but many gigs require something smaller. Could you be a little clearer as to where you consider the OP has gone wrong?

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1452186957' post='2947442']
If I'd spent a grand on a cab and couldn't hear it, which is what the OP's problem seems to be, 'chosen unwisely' would be putting it mildly.
[/quote]

I'd guess that any cab which only comes up to thigh-height is going to have similar issues with hearing the mids and highs when you're standing right next to it (though perhaps less so with a dedicated mid driver), so it's hardly some unique flaw to this specific cab. There are very few cabs on the market which wouldn't have exactly the same issue.

Completely agree, BoB. It's a problem for many of us who occasionally have to play in tight spaces. Unless you have proper floor monitors, the only viable solution I have found - and you've put your finger on it - is a cab with a midrange driver. Tilting or raising the cab can work, of course, but a cab with a 5" or 6" just works.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1452185753' post='2947424']
I would politely suggest that your writing style does not make your posts easy to follow, regardless of whether anyone agrees with the content or not. I am picking up that you think the OP has chosen unwisely and that you do not rate their sound (despite having never heard them, I presume), but it's hard to make out exactly what you are trying to say.

The cab the OP is talking about is a 2x12", not one with a single driver. Anything short of a fridge sized cab (or perhaps a slim vertical stack) is going to be at less than ear height, but many gigs require something smaller. Could you be a little clearer as to where you consider the OP has gone wrong?
[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"I currently use a Super 12T It's great , but I want something that's going to be higher for nearside monitoring , Alex suggested the Big Twin ll , (two BB2s is a bit to costly for me ) As I only have the tweeter on slightly , I'm wondering if I might be better off with two Gen 3 super compacts , for two reasons , The height will be better & the the speakers are higher in the cab , & my back isn't great these days . I mostly play plectrum style . another question is would the two compacts move more air than a Big twin ll as there are more ports ? "[/font][/color]

The OP says he requires the cab to be ear height............ why would you need this? Nearside monitoring? is that to be closer to the ear?
The options he considers involve two cabs..for two reasons. The height will be better and the speakers will be higher in the cab

I'm 'guessing' this is all pointing to not being able to hear well enough.

Weight is always a consideration at some point on these pages and it is here too as the OP may have back issues.

He doesn't have the solution he needs so I think he hasn't made the best choice...and/or doesn't use a very condusive sound.