Why become a member? ×

Songs that make you run away

anaxcrosswords

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1451506790' post='2941128']
But that’s a slippery slope, discreet. Given the enormous amount of crossover between covers bands, if we all tried to be absolutely faithful wouldn’t we all just end up sounding the same as each other?
[/quote]

I'm quite sure that audiences rate covers bands on how recognisable the songs are and how enthusiastic the performance is, nothing more. You're just 'the band', you're never 'that band'. They have come to hear other people's music.

Hmm. “Other peoples’ music”. I agree up to a point. Isn’t the main thing, by and large, the vocals – the majority of people wanting to be able to sing along? The niceties of what the rhythm section and other instruments are doing are lost on most punters. You can keep the overall feel (mostly) but you can also experiment.

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1451505878' post='2941113']
True, but isn't that about how you play rather than what you play?

Why not just stay at home and listen to the originals, or at least have a DJ instead? .
[/quote]no matter how good the quality of the system and recording, nothing beats the dynamics of listening to a live band, plus, hopefully the band is putting on a visual display as well.

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1451507399' post='2941138']
Hmm. “Other peoples’ music”. I agree up to a point. Isn’t the main thing, by and large, the vocals – the majority of people wanting to be able to sing along? The niceties of what the rhythm section and other instruments are doing are lost on most punters. You can keep the overall feel (mostly) but you can also experiment.
[/quote]I think this is true, our old guitarist used to say "the crowd hears what they want to hear" and unless it's a real hachet job I tended to agree with him

Was just thinking about songs you don’t often find in sets, but wanted to avoid real obscurities. Off the top of my head came Cuddly Toy by Roachford. It got to #4 in the charts and it’s a terrific uptempo song – a doddle to play, too.
So if you’re working out a set and have to make the choice between House of the Rising Sun and Cuddly Toy, why would you choose the former and not the latter? This is what I’m getting at – many covers bands seem to get locked into playing what others play in the belief that it works [i]only [/i]because other bands play it.

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1451507568' post='2941141']
Incidentally, mentioned above was Tainted Love. The version we did, using real drums/bass, was patently a compromise and a case of ‘our own take’ – personally I hated it but it usually went down well.
[/quote]

I'd love to play this!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSehtaY6k1U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSehtaY6k1U[/url]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1451475247' post='2940731']

I agree with the above, but unfortunately there are songs I just will [i]not [/i]play and so I don't 'do' covers bands. They include, but are not limited to: Sex On Fire, All Right Now, Mustang Sally, Mr Brightside, Brown Eyed Girl, Sweet Home Alabama, All The Small Things, Get Lucky, Honky Tonk Woman, Brown Sugar, Play That Funky Music, Creep, Smoke On The Water, Hotel California, Superstition, Proud Mary, Wonderful Tonight, Born To Be Wild, Wonderwall, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Moves Like Jagger... and yes, bleeding Summer of Fecking 69. There you have it. There are lots more but I can't think of them right now...
[/quote]

I'm with Chris too. Every one on that list is a punter pleaser and I played the vast majority in the covers band I used to play with - and even if they weren't my favourite songs to listen to I enjoyed playing them for the reaction they got every single gig. There is a certain joy about playing to a full dance floor of folks really enjoying themselves or waving pint glasses over their heads and singing along at the top of their drunk voices...

Anything by the Beatles.
Anything by the Rolling Stones.
Anything by Stereophonics.
Anything by ZZ Top.
Anything that comes under the description of 'classic rock', particularly Deep purple, Thin Lizzy, Free, Queen.

Then also -

Long train running.
You really got me.
Proud Mary.
Sex on fire.
Mustang Sally.
All right now (god, do I hate that !).
Brown eyed girl.
Moondance (no, it's not jazz).
Mr Brightside.
Play that funky music.
Superstitious.
Summer of 69.
Car wash.

There's a whole toad to be honest :).

I cringe a bit at really bad overplayed pub blues,

but on the whole i really dont mind as long as its played right, or at least about right like some effort has gone into it.
so many bands play loads of the above wrong.
take some of the examples
All right now.... i rearly hear the bass played right in almost all of the bands i have heard doing this
get lucky... same again, sounds simple but the bass hardly plays the same line ,
for alot of it its always changed in some way, players learn the same bit and play it over and over
Superstition is another taken for granted
Sweet Home Alabama, i think bands always play it too fast and never get the chorus right, the off beat feel, the chord change in the mid of the second set of off beats also bass kills it by playing all the octaves all the time... i want to shout..STOP IT.

I think a good band who take time out to nail all the bits right ( as a cover) will always go down well no matter what they do because it will feel right and kudos for them taking the time to do that no matter what they do.

I see songs as a jigsaw puzzle,
as they are original all the parts slot together and mesh right, when you get only 1 band member
who "wants to do it his way" it will never sound right, because they have changed their part of the jigsaw to another shape, and so i think people hear this and can tell it does not fit.
it just means they cant be arsed to learn the original and want to jam on everybody elses hard work..... drummers are king at this, i have never seen one drummer ( local bands) play the zutons valerie right, the bass drum is right under the bass line and the song sounds naff unless that bass drum is underpinning the bass.

If one person changes it then ok lets all change it and do another version of it. simples
When i hear a band doing their version of a song... great, i want to hear that.
but when i hear a band doing covers wrong,,,,thats when i want to run away.

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1451763738' post='2943268']

When i hear a band doing their version of a song... great, i want to hear that.
but when i hear a band doing covers wrong,,,,thats when i want to run away.
[/quote]

How do you know if it's their version or they are doing it wrong?

"guess the artist..."
teddy Pandon-gas ???

Pete Burns ( peter rabbit)??

"How do you know if it's their version or they are doing it wrong? "
by the killer glances from the other players :P
I.E... this i think is wrong... at a guess
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVoEb5Rm5eo"]https://www.youtube....h?v=SVoEb5Rm5eo[/url]

Edited by funkgod