Why become a member? ×

Songs that make you run away

anaxcrosswords

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1451475247' post='2940731']
I agree with the above, but unfortunately there are songs I just will [i]not [/i]play and so I don't 'do' covers bands. They include, but are not limited to: Sex On Fire, All Right Now, Mustang Sally, Mr Brightside, Brown Eyed Girl, Sweet Home Alabama, All The Small Things, Get Lucky, Honky Tonk Woman, Brown Sugar, Play That Funky Music, Creep, Smoke On The Water, Hotel California, Superstition, Proud Mary, Wonderful Tonight, Born To Be Wild, Wonderwall, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Moves Like Jagger... and yes, bleeding Summer of Fecking 69. There you have it. There are lots more but I can't think of them right now...
[/quote]

Thirteen of those are on our 'big' setlist, and half a dozen of them get played every gig.

The upside is we play them well and punters love them, so there's always a good reaction, which is why I play.

We'll try any song which we think might go down well, the only criteria for retaining them is if we can play them well, and they get the crowd up and moving. If they don't they get dropped, and we're all immediately and unanimously aware of that anyway. We bring a pro/dep approach to the function/covers band: I've never heard anyone moan about playing any song (other than to discuss the floor-killer situation above), and we don't bring any personal negativity to song choice.

I personally can't stand Mustang Sally, but we regularly get asked for it by the people who are paying us, so we play it. No-one else in the band knows I can't stand it, and that's the way it should be.

We play superstition and long train, and everyone seems to love them. I actually didn't enjoy playing them to start, but I actually enjoy it now because they go down so well.
Also on that list I have played (but not in the current band) Sweet home & hotel california, which went down well.

I don't actually remember ever hearing summer of 69 in a pub. Run to you, yes, but not summer of 69.

I was never in cover bands until about 5 years ago, was quite the snob really. Now I am - and loving it - I do run into songs I do not like but don't mind, songs I would rather go without but can swallow and the odd no way Jose. I detest Wonderwall and Summer O' 69, but pay me enough and I will swallow my pride.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1451474697' post='2940725']
Badly played and over played songs are the danger for cover bands, but IMO a good song doesn't need much production.

Like Buddy Holly songs, a good song can be stripped down to the bare bones and it'll still work. You've got to be Mr Pastry (google if you don't know him!) to make a mess of them.

The other proviso is that simple songs have to be played well. You can't cut any corners or fudge anything or else they just won't work.
[/quote]

The other massive crime in my book is bands that use tempo and volume to "rock it up" - songs like Buddy Holly's, Little Richard's and specifically, Elvis' That's Alright Mama tend to fail when bands beef them up too much.

Is immediacy another consideration?
Many songs, regarded as classics, gradually reveal their quality over repeated listening. It’s a bit like a Monty Python sketch which doesn’t seem at all funny first time round, but you keep watching/listening and notice the subtleties and cleverness. The best songs tend to do that, to gradually draw you in. On the other hand, those which knock your socks off when you first hear them start to fall down your favourites list after a while. It’s like they’ve given everything they have in one hit.
To me, that’s an important consideration when choosing songs to play live; you only get one shot at wowing the audience. There are plenty of songs out there – unknown to the majority – which have that effect. I just wish more bands were willing to experiment.
After all, every song ever written, successful or not, started out as unknown to everyone.

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1451481261' post='2940809']
...pay me enough and I will swallow my pride.
[/quote]

I will, too. Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with people who are in covers bands, and some bands do it exceptionally well, it's just not something I want to do at the moment. That can always change of course, depending on how skint (or otherwise) I get this year. ;)

I was always saddened that punters and landlords didn't share my obvious great taste in music and no matter how much I liked the song or even how well we played it, it never got a good reaction.....any Foo Fighters song springs to mind for some unknown reason! Yet landlords and punters really like things like Sex On Fire, Mr Brightside, Chelsea Dagger and One Way or Another...especially when introduced as a [s]Wine[/s] One Direction cover song!

I know as musicians we can be really protective of what we play and how we perceive ourselves as a band when in reality we are there to entertain punters keeping them drinking and hence paying money to the establishment. If the punters like One Direction and you can deliver it to a decent standard then you probably have a bright future as a covers band.....I considered it a form of prostitution, playing covers kept me gig sharp, with good gear so when the original band goes out I was at the top of my game

Much as I disliked playing some songs, if they are well received then they are good for the band

The comment from Mykesbass about ‘rocking it up’ reminds of the situation (not really related to this thread) in my last band.
To broaden the set beyond funk, disco etc we decided to bring in a couple of more rock-based songs, and the guitarist and I remembered that way back in the late 1980s we introduced The Power of Love (Huey Lewis) to a band we had in Birmingham. It always went down well, in part because we upped the tempo a little.
So we brought it in. The drummer was adamant about us having to play it at the original tempo because it was ‘the only way’, which was ironic, as his tempo setting for the rest of our live numbers ranged unpredictably from manic to dirge.

Depends on the money. I'll happily play anything for the correct reimbursement. If the band is getting well paid gigs then i wouldn't care.

If its a start up band there are so many great tunes to choose from i'd focus on that. Why bands have to mimic other set lists is beyond me but hey its a free country. In the end you need tunes conducive to any prospective landlord/agent/audience. Been in bands in the past who have chosen "cool" tracks that they think will impress other musicians and guess what - normal punters don't give a stuff.

Nothing wrong with being a musical whore. Mustang Sally sucks though.

Edited by BottomE

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1451487611' post='2940890']
Talking of rocking it up, a band I was in 25 years ago (how time flies!) used to do a "We are Family" in the style of the Chilli Peppers crossed with the Dead Kennedys...
It was the only cover we did though!
[/quote]

Different from what I had in mind - I think those re-workings can be great, and a lot of fun. It is more the idea from some players that playing louder, faster and more notes livens up a song, whereas often it will have the opposite effect.

We rotate a couple of Foos songs which normally go down well round here, and have on occasion bunged summer of 69 as a set finisher, punters seem to love it, and I enjoy playing it, no worries. We are pretty much audience whores and will play anything if they get up and dance...even Dakota!!! The only songs I ever dislike playing are the ones I know I can feck up if I'm not careful, just makes me focus a bit more though.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1451473174' post='2940706']
I think Chris has nailed it - play songs the audiences want, that way you keep the bookings. However, if you`re rubbish at a song, no matter how good a song, and no matter how much punters like it, at that point don`t play it. In my old punk covers band we sooooooo wanted to do Into The Valley by The Skids, but no matter how hard we tried, we were awful at it. So we didn`t do it.
[/quote]yeah my band tried that, but the guitar sound is so distinctive it soon turned into a no no, if you can't do it properly don't embarrass yourself by doing it poorly

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1451488341' post='2940896']
...I’d never join a band and then refuse to play certain numbers... ...the first step is seeing the set list, way before audition. That gives me a feel for their typical material – not just what’s there, but the potential likelihood of adding no-no songs later.
[/quote]

Very sensible. Seeing the set list is essential really. If there's a m***er, you can choose to end it there or, if it's just one or two numbers decide whether you want to suck it up if the situation is otherwise a good one.

Edit: What, you can't say m***er on this forum? Mad! :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1451496060' post='2940996']
yeah my band tried that, but the guitar sound is so distinctive it soon turned into a no no, if you can't do it properly don't embarrass yourself by doing it poorly
[/quote]
Really good point. Knowing when something doesn't work is a very good quality to have in a band. About 50% of the tunes we take to a rehearsal never get past that stage. Of the 50% that do, many of them are culled if they don't work in the set and/or for the audience.

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1451501871' post='2941058']
...An unprofessional, that will be good enough, we don't bother with that bit, half-arsed attitude to working at rehearsals will make me run away.
[/quote]

Yes - see also 'not working when not rehearsing', i.e. trying to quickly learn songs at rehearsal or winging it. The 'I didn't get time to learn it, my computer failed, my guitar (for it is a guitarist) broke, my dog died, my girl left me and my cock fell off with a clang' brigade. Bah!

It's a beautiful thing when everyone's on the same page, have listened to the proper source material, have learnt the song and then play it correctly all the way through first time off at the next rehearsal. Happens all too rarely for my liking - another reason why I try not to be in a covers band.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1451472185' post='2940694'] If you're serious about a cover band then no song should be "off limits" unless it gets no reaction or worse still a negative reaction from an audience or your band can't do it justice. The bottom line is that you're there to satisfy the audience first. As there are thousands of hit songs from the last 60 years there should be a lot of numbers where the audience and you can agree. I don't like playing Tainted Love but it's a very popular number and a floor filler and sing along for every audience we've played it to. Cover bands shouldn't ignore a reaction like that. [/quote]

I totally agree.I can't believe that anybody would refuse to cover a song just because they 'dont like it'.You're there to please a crowd,not yourself.That anyone would consider knocking back the chance of playing with a live band just because they dont like 2 of the songs on a setlist is beyond belief.

“That will be good enough”.
Yeah – that frustrated me. Too often we’d rehearse something and we all knew it didn’t sound as it should, but it was as if everyone was too embarrassed to say “The bass doesn’t work” or “Keyboard timing is out” or whatever. Natural human instinct to fear possible confrontation, but if you’re aiming for top quality product you have to tackle it. We didn’t.

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1451504807' post='2941098']
...That anyone would consider knocking back the chance of playing with a live band just because they dont like 2 of the songs on a setlist is beyond belief.
[/quote]

It's like anything else, really. If you've been playing in bands for a [i]long [/i]time I can see that you might just reach the end of the line with particular songs. Some songs I find so offensive that I imagine they've been written and recorded deliberately to antagonise me. :D

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1451504807' post='2941098']
You're there to please a crowd,not yourself.
[/quote]

True, but isn't that about how you play rather than what you play?

At the end of one of our gigs someone told us it was just like listening to the originals. Meant as a compliment I’m sure, but a disaster as far as I was concerned. Why not just stay at home and listen to the originals, or at least have a DJ instead? You have to make songs your own – maybe – but the important thing is the performance, the show. If you can nail that, the choice of material isn’t quite as crucial and you can almost certainly get away with throwing in less mainstream numbers.

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1451505878' post='2941113']
At the end of one of our gigs someone told us it was just like listening to the originals. Meant as a compliment I’m sure, but a disaster as far as I was concerned. [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You have to make songs your own.[/font][/color][/quote]

Absolutely disagree, and another good reason why I don't like playing covers. Overlaps with the 'that'll do' problem... I'm not suggesting you should try to recreate the production values of the recordings, that is almost impossible, but you should at least play the same chords, the same arrangement and the same parts with the same feel and at the same tempo. It seems that a fair few people are unable or unwilling to do this. If you're going to put the audience's pleasure before your own then I think it's your duty to perform the songs as closely as is humanly possible to the versions that everyone has in their heads.

Too often 'we do our own version' is code for 'we can't be bothered to learn it properly'. IMHO, of course. ;)

Edited by discreet