Why become a member? ×

The Worlds Most Recognisable Bass line.

Hobbayne

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1451474479' post='2940719']
'Air' from J S Bach's Orchestral Suite No 3 has to be one of the most recognisable bass parts even if due to shortsightedness on the composer's part it was not originally written for bass guitar.
[/quote]

Maybe, but how many know it's by Bach and the name of the piece? To be recognised fully the name of the piece of music must be known. It's a great piece and was heard by millions of people back in the day of the Hamlet cigar add. The beginning should be in every bass players arsenal.

I think that the chain is probably the UKs most recognisable bass line, because of the F1, but not the worlds.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1451475027' post='2940729']
When doves cry by Prince.
[/quote]

I can't even think how the bass line to that goes.

I suppose to work out the worlds most precognisable bassline you need to work out what the average age is, and find something that was around when they were late teens early twenties.
I think Michael Jackson would have to feature highly, or Disco

World wide most recognised bass line , allthough ripped from bernard, would have to be another one bites the dust , without question. The simple vocal refeain and its meaning likley transcends most language barriers too. . . The fact it follows the rythem of the bass line makes it rememerable to the most unmusical ludites out there :)

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1451479962' post='2940784']
I am firmly in the Under Pressure camp, it IS the song and the song was huge and still is played umpteen times a day on radios across the world to this day.
[/quote]

Even so. . . whenever we play Under Pressure the whole place starts chanting Ice Ice Baby to the bass intro.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1451470628' post='2940662']
Those two tunes are just doubling the guitar, though. Are people recognising the bass part, or the guitar part..?
[/quote]

My apologies if I got it wrong.. the thread title does not stipulate an [i]intro. [/i]Plus, in both songs the bass plays the line (albeit along with the guitar), so I suppose it is a matter of opinion whether it's a bass line or not. If you were asked to play the bass line to either song, what would you play ? ;)

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1451472087' post='2940692']
I've never considered Day Tripper to be a bass intro
[/quote]

Edited by Coilte

I would guess the Chain is probably the most instantly recognisable bass part, yes for its F1 links and yes some people may not even recognise it as a bass guitar part but if I said to my mum an example of bass guitar is Good Times / Another One Bites the Dust I would get a "meh" if I said the Formula 1 intro music she would know it immediately...I also think Stand By Me is a good call in the same vein.

One for me would possibly be Beats International / The Clash, Dub Be Good To Me / Guns Of Brixton another iconic short riff

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1451483141' post='2940841']
Even so. . . whenever we play Under Pressure the whole place starts chanting Ice Ice Baby to the bass intro.
[/quote]

Agreed, if I hear under pressure I assume it is ice ice baby until it starts singing.

I think I am in the Billie Jean camp if we are camping.

[quote name='Stu-khag' timestamp='1451432216' post='2940516']
I watched a making of rumours doc on fleetwood mac a little while back on the train and was gear watching as you do and saw all manner of boutique basses in the shots of mcvie (alembics etc.) and then the bit of him playing the chain (like in this vid) is on a hamer cruise bass- the same model I had sold the previous day for very little money. if only I had known I could have bumped up the price a bit!
[/quote]

One of these. Its the best Jazz bass i have ever owned and i've had a few...I'd say it probably is one of the the most recognisable bass lines recorded.

So is this

Edited by BottomE