Why become a member? ×

The Worlds Most Recognisable Bass line.

Hobbayne

I watched a making of rumours doc on fleetwood mac a little while back on the train and was gear watching as you do and saw all manner of boutique basses in the shots of mcvie (alembics etc.) and then the bit of him playing the chain (like in this vid) is on a hamer cruise bass- the same model I had sold the previous day for very little money. if only I had known I could have bumped up the price a bit!

[quote name='Stu-khag' timestamp='1451432216' post='2940516']
I watched a making of rumours doc on fleetwood mac a little while back on the train and was gear watching as you do and saw all manner of boutique basses in the shots of mcvie (alembics etc.) and then the bit of him playing the chain (like in this vid) is on a hamer cruise bass- the same model I had sold the previous day for very little money. if only I had known I could have bumped up the price a bit!
[/quote]

'Twas an Aembic with a fretless aluminium neck, apparently...?

My test is to think whether my Dad would recognise it (he's only really into trad Irish music)..
He wouldn't have a clue about Under Pressure or Sunshine of your Love, but would know The Chain instantly.

I think I reached the age of 30 before realising that that bass line came from an outro!

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1451465842' post='2940611']
Because of the F1 association, The Chain is probably the bass line most people know, but how many of them know it's a bass? However, for us bass nerds, I'd throw in Come Together and These Boots Are Made For Walking.
[/quote]come together was the first bass line I learnt :-)

he's asking what is the most recognisable bass line, not just to bass players, or even musicians, or even musical fanatics, but to everyone, so personal favourites don't really count.
Stand by me must be up there, reasonable well known is the Peaches by the Stranglers, to be well known at the very least it's got to be the bass more or less on it's own, and starting the song, I know the Chain doesn't, but the in bit everyone knows it's a bass intro

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1451470049' post='2940650']

This would get my vote, along with possibly the Beatles "Day Tripper".

IMO "The Chain" would be a fair bit down the list.
[/quote]

Those two tunes are just doubling the guitar, though. Are people recognising the bass part, or the guitar part..?