Why become a member? ×

RIP Lemmy

RhysP

From what I've seen over several years Phil is quite a private person & doesn't like to do the public talking thing, he doesn't think he comes over well in it. I've also seen that he was a lot closer work wise to Lemmy than Mikkey was. So assuming he [i]was[/i] at the funeral, with no reason to think otherwise, I'm not surprised he wasn't at the aftermath. Shame, because he'd have been one of the few/only voices from Lemmy's home country, though I'm aware Lemmy made the US his adpoted home for decades. Such events are always awkward, with so many people not wanting to simply echo other comments but still come up with something original, relative and inoffensive.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1452426132' post='2949755']
A little harsh don't you think? I'm not sure if you were aware, but Lemmy's ashes were in the urn center stage. This was post funeral of which I'm sure Phil attended. He is most likely crippled with grief.
[/quote]
No I wasn't aware of that. I apologise to Phil unreservedly...

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1452423332' post='2949718']
Phil Campbell "couldn't make it"...seriously?

WTF
[/quote]

Phil was under doctors orders not to fly, Fast Eddie had visa issues due to "past sins"

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2016-01-11/phil-campbell-explains-lemmy-funeral-absence

[quote name='Freddy Le Cragg' timestamp='1452758896' post='2953111']
I played an acoustic version of Ace of Spades on a radio session earlier this week. Not sure if it was a tribute or sacrilege tbh....
[/quote]

Wot, like this one? [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjkzbCkZEuQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjkzbCkZEuQ[/url]

'Lemmy - The Movie' is getting another showing this Friday on BBC 4, worth a look if you've not seen it.

My telly guide described it as a film about 'the late Motorhead frontman'. I still can't get used to seeing the words 'Lemmy' and 'late' together...I always thought he'd outlive most of us.

Still a shock....but we'll always have the records and the gigs.

• 3 weeks later...

Just heard this story the past weekend, and I thought I should share it with you.

A really good friend of mine, who also happens to be a bass player, went to see Motorhead back in the late 80´s, when they came to play in Portugal (Cascais) - it was his first metal show, so he and his friends (who were all in his mid-teens) made all the proper arrangements, to make sure that nothing was forgotten - food, water, someone to take them to the gig, etc.

The show was a blast and everything went well until the end of the show, when they realized that they had forgot to arrange with their parents, the trip back home... Mind you that this was way before mobiles and all that stuff, and none of them had drivers license...

There they were, these 16/17 years old kids, stranded outside the venue with no way to get back.

The crowd soon disbanded, and eventually the only ones left were my friend and his friends - along came Motorhead leaving the venue - they were happy to see all these young kids, and gave them their autographs and moved on to the tourbus - except Lemmy!
He stayed behind and talked a little bit more with my friend and the other kids - Lemmy found it amusing that they were all young but already were giving their first steps in music. Eventually my friend told him that they were stuck at the venue, as everybody forgot to get someone to pick them up...

Lemmy, being the nice guy that we all have heard about, offered them a ride on their tourbus!

Unfortunatelly, the tourbus was going to Lisbon, and all of them lived in the opposite direction - still, they could have taken a ride and, when in Lisbon , just catch a train back home...

But they politely refused.

Lemmy entred the bus and all these kids, included my friend, couldn´t believe how lucky they were (even if they outside in the cold),
Eventually someone went to a phone booth (remember those :) ) , and called home.

That´s it - another one nice deed by Mr. Lemmy :)

RIP

• 2 weeks later...

[color=#000000][font=freight-text-pro, serif][size=4]"I think Lemmy was an angel!" And I said, "What?" She said, "Well, there are angels sent to earth to help us on our journeys. They walk amongst us, and their purpose is to help us find our way." I said, "Really? They're going to send down a whiskey-drinking, cigarette-smoking, speed-snorting pirate as an angel?" And she said to me, "Who else would you guys listen to? Some guy in a flowing robe with wings? Lemmy Kilmister — that's the angel you guys are gonna listen to!"[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1455836996' post='2982953']
[color=#000000][font=freight-text-pro, serif][size=4]"I think Lemmy was an angel!" And I said, "What?" She said, "Well, there are angels sent to earth to help us on our journeys. They walk amongst us, and their purpose is to help us find our way." I said, "Really? They're going to send down a whiskey-drinking, cigarette-smoking, speed-snorting pirate as an angel?" And she said to me, "Who else would you guys listen to? Some guy in a flowing robe with wings? Lemmy Kilmister — that's the angel you guys are gonna listen to!"[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Cool, I like that.

I have never heard Lemmy's band, however I loved his interviews.

He was a dudes dude, always had interesting commentary.

What I really like about him ,he wasn't full of himself and never had said anything bad about anyone.

Blue

Edited by blue

Not so far-fetched really. My lad went to a catholic school (even though we're not at all religious) run by an order of American monks and one of the Brothers was an ex druggie and bouncer who had found God and turned his life around. He was incredibly popular and well respected by the pupils because of his 'real world' experience and a real asset to the pastoral care system within the school.

Perhaps he was an Angel? ;)

• 2 months later...