Why become a member? ×

RIP Lemmy

RhysP

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1451377231' post='2939899']
"I'm leaving my body to medical science fiction"
[/quote]

Brilliant. :)

Not ashamed to say I cried like a baby when the news finally sank in. He was my biggest early inspiration and influence and I basically learnt to play by playing along with Lemmy-era Hawkwind, in particular Space Ritual. Met him a couple of times and he was a lovely guy too. Damn. What a sh*t year this has been.

I too have had a tear in my eye over this tragic news.

Like so many, Lemmy is the reason I picked up a bass, and started my lifelong fascination with Rickenbackers. The sound, the look....it was all there. Has a bassist ever looked cooler than Lem and his Ricky?

Bought my first 'Head album at 13, in 1987. Saw them a few times (even as a 4-piece - although we've sadly lost Philthy, and Wurzel a few years back too), loved the albums since. Bands and tastes come and go, but I've always been, and will forever remain, a Motorfan.

RIP, to the man who defined rock and roll.

As an add on to pst62, my first Motorhead gig (of many) was the Iron Fist tour at Port Talbot Afan Lido 1982 (it was the mark of the band that they could be arsed to come past Cardiff). Found myself off to one side and right in front of the PA stack thinking "sh*t, this is loud" and elbowed my way further across the stage towards Lemmy's backline.

Things got much louder.

No gig before or since holds such vivid memories for me and for that Lemmy, Philthy & Fast Eddie, I thank you.

Not a fan of the music, but I had (and still have) a lot of respect for him- (actually, on Sunday - the day he passed away - I was recommending "Lemmy" to a friend of mine, totally oblivious that soon he would leave this place...)

He came through as a true rocker and a trully honest person about his life and what he did in music ... I´m sure that there aren´t many like him around...

RIP Lemmy.

PS. To those of you who haven´t seen it, I recommend the 2010 documentary called "Lemmy" -

I've been in and out of thread a few times today not knowing what to say.

I first saw Lemmy in that episode of the Young Ones "Bambi". Since then me and my brother have been to see Motorhead loads of times. We were both sad and disappointed when the last tour was postponed then cancelled but had tickets to next month's show in Glasgow and were looking forward to seeing the big man in action again.

It takes a lot to get me going but I'm genuinely upset at this. It was inevitable and we both knew that this was likely to be the last tour but for it to happen so quickly was a complete shock.

I shall be wearing my Motorhead wristband at the new year's eve gig and the Star Wars tattoo I had planned for early next year might become a Motorhead one.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1451444295' post='2940560']
I bet Phil Taylor, Lemmy and Scott Weiland are having a right old knees up right now

So hard to believe that 3 outstanding musicians have gone this year. I was a huge STP fan. Found them on "The Word" in about 1993.

It's all gone tits for arse this year
[/quote]

Apparently, Phils death hit him hard and he suffered from depression after that. I read that he had to go in for a check up and they found cancer all over his brain and neck. The doctor gave him between two and six months to live. They brought in morphine equipment in preparation for expected pain killing. He died two days later. Apparently sitting in front of a games machine, he just drifted off and never woke up. I reckon it's what he would have wanted rather than suffering.

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1451493360' post='2940961']
RIP Lemmy - As I was reading the news on this earlier my three year old little girl wandered into the room, took one look at the picture of Lemmy on stage - rick in hand and black hat, she just said "Woaahh - he's [i][u]really[/u][/i] cool!!"
[/quote]

there you go - proof that you ARE bringing up your kid well!!!

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1451471177' post='2940671']
Good coverage on the late BBC news last night. More than I was expecting so just shows what a legend he is.
[/quote]

Surprisingly good coverage on BBC News 24 as well. That included an interview at one point with John Robb (Membranes/Goldblade) which was very insightful.

Posted on Facebook by my friend, sound engineer, Ian Caple

Very sad to hear about Lemmy’s passing ...
I'll always have fond memories of him, as Motörhead were the very first band that I engineered for... one of their earliest gigs.

It was the long hot summer of 1976, I had left school but was trying to avoid getting a real job. I knew a guy who was a roadie for a local band called Stray. They had a big P.A. system & a wall of Marshall amps & were constantly gigging round the country. I would jump in the van help him out from time. As the roadie's assistant I was just about the lowest in the food-chain - lifting huge flight cases in & out of the van & down flights of stairs in dodgy clubs & student unions around the country for £5 a gig - but I loved it.

That summer they played an all-night gig at the Lyceum ballroom in the Strand - a beautiful old theatre in the West End, opposite the Savoy Hotel.
The first band would go on at about 10.00 pm & it would finish at about 7.00 in the morning !
Stray were second on the bill to Motörhead who went on stage about 4.00 am. The engineer doing the sound had been smoking large amounts of weed all night & just as Motörhead were due to go on, he was found collapsed in a heap in the dressing room - so I was pushed into the space behind the desk & suddenly became the sound engineer !

I stood nervously behind the desk as Motörhead came on stage & they burst into the first number - Lemmy didn't look happy - he kept signalling in my direction to turn it up. I stared at the faders & found the one marked 'bass' & in desperation pushed it up to the top. The ground shook, Lemmy looked happy. I then found the master fader & pushed that to the maximum. The volume was deafening, Lemmy looked even happier.

Despite complaints about the noise from the manager of the Savoy, we continued til the morning & I drove the van home with my ears still ringing.
It was my first experience behind a desk & thanks to Mr. Kilmister I learned a valuable lesson - when in doubt, turn the bass up & then turn it all up !

R.I.P. Lemmy.

Having just watched numerous documentarys and music i really wish things had worked out in hawkwind,they are deffo his most interesting lines.I still can't get Motorhead,didn't really like his attitude towards women and thought he was very arrogant in the White line fever book,should really read a Dave brock biog if there is one.,I have taken a lot of speed over the years and it definitely did not leave my willy in any state to sleep with a thousand women,I'm sure he was fibbing about how many he slept with.no denying he was one of the people who made me want to be a musician and I really admired his honesty about things like war,drugs,music etc. it feels a bit like when Freddie Mercury died tbh not a huge fan but loved them being in my dads record collection.RIP Lem.