Why become a member? ×

RIP Lemmy

RhysP

Oddly enough I was dreaming last night that a mate was telling me the title of the new Motörhead album. Just wish I could remember what it was. It was typically Motörhead though.

My first ever gig back in 1982 was Motörhead on the Iron Fist tour: stage descending from the roof in Spinal Tap fashion. Great stuff. With not long losing Philthy Animal and earlier my other Rick hero Chris Squire this has been a poor year.

Ian Haugland from Europe just posted this:

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"My clearest memory of Lemmy was when Europe met him in a bar in London in 1987. Lemmy is playing a pinball machine when Joey approaches him to [/font][/color][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#141823"]introduce himself...[/color][/font]
[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hi Lemmy, i'm Joey from the rockband Europe...[/font][/color]
[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Without even looking up from his pinball game, Lemmy answers [/font][/color]
[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Europe's not a rockband!!![/font][/color]

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Original:[/font][/color]

[quote]"[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mitt tydligaste minne med Lemmy var när vi i Europe mötte honom på en bar i London 1987. Lemmy står och spelar flipperspel när Joey går fram och ska presentera sig...[/font][/color]
[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hi Lemmy, i'm Joey from the rockband Europe...[/font][/color]
[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Utan att ens titta upp ifrån flipperspelet svarar Lemmy kort... [/font][/color]
[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Europe's not a rockband!!!"[/font][/color][/quote]

I first saw Motorhead as a 13 year old in 1980. They did 2 nights at Newcastle City Hall and 2 nights in Leeds to record what would be No Sleep Till Hammersmith. For years I thought there was a cheer on the record that was me!

Lem, Eddie, Phil, the Bomber rig and the best bunch of Rock n' Roll songs you could hope for.

Most outstanding gig ever... Ever!

Loved Motorhead & saw them many times in the late 70s & 80s, less so in the later years but I'd still make the effort to go & see them when I could.

It was Lemmys bass playing with Hawkwind though, especially the "Space Ritual" album that was such a big influence on me when I started playing.

[quote name='YouMa' timestamp='1451392847' post='2940061']
Couldn't stand Motörhead but loved his playing on space ritual and loved his take on life,gutted,a true icon,always makes me think of my own mortality when someone like this passes.
[/quote]
I liked Motorhead but loved Hawkwind, Awesome relentless playing, Some of his best work was on this I think. I still enjoy listening to this album now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3395sRfD24

I got a bollocking off Lemmy once, I'll wallow in that memory while necking some JD tonight and blasting "Everything Louder".
Last time I met him I got an aftershow pass off his PA to explain to Lem how come I'd played his new amps before he did. Once that was done it was more chat & he asked me what I did, so I told him I worked in the studio of a CD factory - and I'd actually passed some Motorhead artwork to get another few thousand CDs printed up that week.
"Yeah? Which one?" he growled,
"Aces Up My Sleeve", I said
"Oh great! that's f'kin great, that's all we f'kin need, is another f'kin few thousand f'kin greatest hits CDs, that's really f'kin great. Why doesn't any f'cker print up a few thousand of all our new albums instead of f'kin greatest f'kin hits?".
Then I got one of his lemon, sardonic grins, which kinda hinted he wasn't as pissed off as he sounded.

Great, great guy - a huge loss.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1451383632' post='2939968']
Bad news.

A bit like Keith Richards, I had almost got to the point of thinking he was immortal. Sadly not.
[/quote]

Yeah, its one of those RIP's you never think you'll read.

Saw them on the Alice Cooper\Joan Jett tour. They were loud* and awesome.

[size=1]* states the bleeding obvious![/size]

RIP Lem. :([size=4] [/size]

[color=#000000][font=Roboto,]Lemmy (to the sound engineer) : "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors ?"[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Roboto,]Sound engineer : "No."[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Roboto,]Lemmy : "Neither can I. Turn me up !"[/font][/color]

You know, I`ve listened to a lot on the radio today about Lemmy, all from fans, all calling in with their own personal tales of how they`ve met him etc, and the thing that has really come across is what a nice, down to earth guy he was. Sure he may have lived rock n roll, but it obviously didn`t stop him from being a thoroughly decent fella. And having read books by celebs as well, they`ve only ever had the same to say.

Take away the iconic image, the humourous quotes and the rebellious lifestyle - then he'd still be a legend solely through the raw intensity of his music. I started playing double stops and using distortion because of him, and one particular show at Brixton Academy ranks in my top three gigs ever. Think I'll get a Motorhead tattoo in his memory.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1451402907' post='2940192']
You know, I`ve listened to a lot on the radio today about Lemmy, all from fans, all calling in with their own personal tales of how they`ve met him etc, and the thing that has really come across is what a nice, down to earth guy he was. Sure he may have lived rock n roll, but it obviously didn`t stop him from being a thoroughly decent fella. And having read books by celebs as well, they`ve only ever had the same to say.
[/quote]

Never met him, but he did babysit for a friend. They used to watch trumpton on the sofa together!

I've told the story on here before, but Lemmy once visited my mum while she was in hospital having a knee operation.

He used to visit a friend of his in Cardiff who ran a motorbike repair place, and there was a newsagents shop close to it where my mum used to work.
Lemmy & his friend used to be in & out of the shop all the time buying cigarettes & stuff - mum recognised him (I had a massive Motorhead poster on my bedroom wall at the time) & told him that we had a cat called Lemmy, which he found very amusing. They would regularly have a natter when he came into the shop after that.

By coincidence his friends wife had to go into hospital for some reason at the same time that my mum was in having her knee op.
When he went in to visit her he also found out what ward my mother was on & went in to see her too, which was a very lovely & kind thing to do.

My mother thought the world of him, she thought he was a really nice guy.

The first thing I thought when I heard the news about Lemmy today was "Mum would have been really upset about this"

I saw him back in 1986? when he joined Hawkwind on stage at Reading Festival to play Silver Machine, I remember having a tear in my eye that night, but that might have been down to the amount of plastic bottles being burnt on the various camp fires littering the arena.

A proper legend, RIP sir

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1451406768' post='2940241']
I've told the story on here before, but Lemmy once visited my mum while she was in hospital having a knee operation.

He used to visit a friend of his in Cardiff who ran a motorbike repair place, and there was a newsagents shop close to it where my mum used to work.
Lemmy & his friend used to be in & out of the shop all the time buying cigarettes & stuff - mum recognised him (I had a massive Motorhead poster on my bedroom wall at the time) & told him that we had a cat called Lemmy, which he found very amusing. They would regularly have a natter when he came into the shop after that.

By coincidence his friends wife had to go into hospital for some reason at the same time that my mum was in having her knee op.
When he went in to visit her he also found out what ward my mother was on & went in to see her too, which was a very lovely & kind thing to do.

My mother thought the world of him, she thought he was a really nice guy.

The first thing I thought when I heard the news about Lemmy today was "Mum would have been really upset about this"
[/quote]

What a fantastic story! Says so much about him as a person, away from his infamous rock 'n' roll persona.