Why become a member? ×

Steinberger question

bigd1

I've just purchased a [size=3]Steinberger Synapse 5 string bass ( bad back etc). The bass is great but was bought with a quite soft gig bag. After lots of tinternet searching with no joy, has anybody got info or ideas as to where I could track down a hardshell case for said bass.[/size]

[size=3]Any help would be Fab, and very appreciated.[/size]

[size=3]Ta very glad[/size]
[size=3]Dale (BIGd)[/size]

[size=3] [/size]

The Steinberger case is the SHC-101 which Thomannn stocked until recently - keep an eye on their site as sometimes the cases re-appear (certainly they stopped stocking the xl case and it's back again).

The other option is to use a gun case or a keyboard case and cut foam to fit.

Andy

In the 80s I toured with two of them topped and tailed in an adapted keyboard flightcase.

These days if I'm taking one to a gig and travelling by car, it goes into a Ritter gig bag- not as good as the original Steinberger bags but ok-ish.

Reunion Blues used to make excellent leather Steinberger bags - they may still have the patterns and be able to do a special or as you mentioned, a rifle or shotgun case.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Steinberger!

Ed

Edited by EMG456

Gun case or Keyboard case. Unless you have a custom guy over there, that's it. I don't think Gibson even made a hard case for them, as the graphite tube/wood combo is supposed to be durable and stable. Ned even made a video where he stands on the neck of the bass between two chairs to show how strong the whole thing is.

A good gig bag should be enough. Unless, of course, you are checking it on an airplane....

Just remembered an incident going back ; I was on my way back from twickenham station with my hohner bass. It was the rush hour . A man snapped at me at random and wanted to know what I was carrying . As soon as I told him he walked off, without waiting for the full answer. I assume he was a plain clothes officer. ( it was around the time of the hammer killings in twickenham. So , yes be careful ,)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1451403120' post='2940197']
There are padded gig bags on eBay at the moment. I know it's not the same . When commuting , I prefer gig bags . If driving , then yes hard cases are the way to go . ;)
[/quote]
My stuff all goes in the car, never travel any other way. This is why I'm really looking for a hard case, otherwise the gig bag that the bass came in would be fine.

Problem with the Synapse is it's just a bit longer than a regular Steinberger headless and/or Hohner stick type bass - been down this road looking for an SHC-101 and gave up because the only one I could find was in Australia and they wouldn't ship to the UK :)

The chance of them coming back in at Thomaan is very slim - I asked and was told that they're discontinued now :( Thomann does do a generic type case for Hohner with a shaped insert - http://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_case_fuer_hohner_b2av_bass.htm - but it's pretty limit length wise for a Synapse unfortunately and you'd need to trim the insert anyway becasue the Synapse has a wider body.

I looked into getting a custom case from these guys - http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk - and was quoted £135 + VAT + shipping.

Decided in the end to just stick with the gigbag and be a bit careful - not very helpful for you, sorry..

Should have said - do you have the original Steinberger Synapse gigbag or a generic? The Steinberger one is not too bad - a little tight but well padded and made from pretty tough material. If you've not got one of those might be worth trying to track one down - though no idea from where... :(

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1451578414' post='2941659']
Should have said - do you have the original Steinberger Synapse gigbag or a generic? The Steinberger one is not too bad - a little tight but well padded and made from pretty tough material. If you've not got one of those might be worth trying to track one down - though no idea from where... :(
[/quote]
I have the gig bag the bass came with, it has Steinberger on the pocket. Not quite tough enough if something falls on it, when in the car or band van etc. Although I can see it would be quite a good bag to just carry a bass in.