Why become a member? ×

Microphone recommendations

thebassist

It depends a lot on what sort of sound you want. I suspect nearly every microphone ha been used at some point to get a workable cab tone. If you wanted a gritty rock tone then an SM57 might work. Any large diaphragm condenser would give a nice natural full tone. A lot of people end up using a kick drum mic, but an equal amount of people think this puts all the humps in wrong frequencies. What's your budget?

As above, but if it's really the perceived sound of the cab you want, and assuming a decent enough recording room, I'd say that a large diaphragm condenser would be the way to go, at about 1 metre distance (to be played around with to find the best place...). There are very high flying models, but even a fairly modest one will capture the essentials. We use Superlux HO8 as overheads, acoustic guitar, bass, vocals and more; they can be found new for around £60 or so. Thomann have the Superlux E205 for around £30 or so. They'd do fine, as long as you have phantom power available (I think the Scarlett has this..?).
Hope this helps.

Just to say that I think there's a difference between micing for PA and for recording. I'd be very happy with a bass drum mic and/or a SM57 for 'live' micing for PA, because the environment is quite different. I'd not make that my first choice for studio or home recording work, however. Just sayin'.

Yesterday I recorded a guitar amp/cab with two mics, an SM57 and also a large diaphragm condenser, the SC400 T-bone from Thomann. http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_sc400_grossmembranmikro.htm

The SC400 is what made the final cut; it's warmer, picks up more low end and has a more organic sound.

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1451175299' post='2938720']
So would you go for a Superlux E205 over a Shure SM57 for home recording?
[/quote]

Quite definitely, yes. The Shure is well good enough for 'live' to FOH micing, mixed with some DI bass, but doesn't have the all-round fatness and richness of a condenser mic, which will 'hear' the cab in a similar fashion as do our ears. Experiment a bit with placing the cab and the mic in the room; that'll make a difference in many cases.

• 2 weeks later...

SM 57 in front of a cab. You need to experiment with mic positioning ie place it in front of the centre of speaker, move it slightly to side towards the rim of speaker. Also the distance from speaker will give you a different sound.You can place it at an angle etc. I recorded two different guitars and effect set up. The slightest mic positioning returned different sound.unbelievable how good sm57 is.as for the bass recording I finally managed to get the sound I wanted.no wonder sm57 has been around for donkey's years.

• 3 weeks later...