Why become a member? ×

Sax player dilemma

grumpyguts

Would it be a problem to consider two sax players?
That means that you don't need to boot the existing one (but I would not keep him if he really doesn't pull his weight). Of course you should be upfront and tell him that you're considering bringing an additional sax.

In my band we used to have one trumpet. The moment came when he announced he was going to be moving several hundred miles away soon... so we looked for a replacement. The replacement arrived sooner we expected. So we ended up with two trumpets for a while. It was actually better than one trumpet alone, and it meant that the chances that at least one of them could make a gig were good so we played more gigs.

Maybe having two sax players would not be a bad thing. You can introduce some harmonies and generally get a bigger sound. Maybe having a better player is the kick the existing player needs to step up his practice regime...

[quote name='grumpyguts' timestamp='1450999785' post='2937841']

The influence of the singer dosen't bother me - so long as I am not on the boot list..She wasn't asked to find a new Sax player - I guess she just mentioned to the situation to her Sax player friend etc.
[/quote]

I'm with number6 with this one , she may have another " friend " who plays bass ( better than you ? )

As a previous post says , it's a dog eat dog world out there .

The problem with 2 sax players, or indeed any horn section, is they will need to play from scored parts so that they are in unison/harmony and decide who is going to take any solos. A lone sax can play their own thing to their hearts content and have more freedom (provided they don't play over the singer!).

I was once in an band having a great time doing my own thing, when they brought in another sax player expecting us to just "become a horn section". The band was playing originals and asked to just to do our own thing, unfortunately the other sax player felt he was superior and it ended up being a competition between us - who could get the fills in between the vocals and the solos first!! It didn't work and no one was writing out scores and not being one to be confrontational I left. :happy:

Edited by SaxyBassist

Yes, I've played in two bands with three-piece horn sections and they were almost like a sub-band within a band, working everything out between them and spending rehearsals frowning a lot and scribbling things down frantically with pencils. :) But when we played live they were really on it.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1451088605' post='2938290']
Yes, I've played in two bands with three-piece horn sections and they were almost like a sub-band within a band, working everything out between them and spending rehearsals frowning a lot and scribbling things down frantically with pencils. :) But when we played live they were really on it.
[/quote]

Yes you can actually hire whole professional horn sections who work together all the time! Was never really my thing - did a couple of years in a soul function band - money was good but it was dead boring - not enough solos :rolleyes: :D

[quote name='SaxyBassist' timestamp='1451089006' post='2938292']
Yes you can actually hire whole professional horn sections who work together all the time! Was never really my thing - did a couple of years in a soul function band - money was good but it was dead boring - not enough solos :rolleyes: :D
[/quote]

I did a Stax/Motown function band for a while and yes, great cash - but for me it was the false bonhomie and compulsory audience participation crap that wore me down in the end. Plus the logistics of a nine-piece band became tedious to say the least.

But I digress - good luck to the OP, let's hope for a positive outcome. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='grumpyguts' timestamp='1451032181' post='2937897']
i am not bothered about the singer taking over, so long as I remain on the Bass.

Us original members could have continued to fart around once a month and achieve nothing, I know the drummer is up for more and so am I - she is giving us a shove in the right direction.

Her reply to our add on Join my Band indicated that she had been intending to put her own band together, I had a fair idea given her previous experience something like this was possible.

The situation with the sax player was more troubling to me as I didn't want to see him treated badly - I think I have sorted that. It will be interesting to see what happens..

I have a list of 20 tracks I need to get sorted by the 10th.. Happy Christmas!
[/quote]
You are not bothered about the singer taking over .fair enough , but the atmosphere may change from being a fun band .

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1451096398' post='2938310']
I did a Stax/Motown function band for a while and yes, great cash - but for me it was the false bonhomie and compulsory audience participation crap that wore me down in the end. Plus the logistics of a nine-piece band became tedious to say the least.

But I digress - good luck to the OP, let's hope for a positive outcome. :)
[/quote]

We did this and their fee was £180 each... so tough money.
You have to think what they really bring as rehearsals are out but a 'score session' might be available
if they can re-use the charts.

Personally I'd pay it only for a special event and if they gave me a copy of the horn pad.

As always, saturday is a prime night for wages

It was the Guitarist that kicked the band off back in April, typically he is influenced by Floyd, Clapton, Hendrix etc. Not too sure where he wanted it to go. He may or may not be happy with the influence of the singer - that's not my problem. We are now looking at a list of old RnB, Soul and Pop - fine by me.

My intention was just to see if (after over 25 years of bass inactivity) I could play anything acceptable. If the answer was yes (and it is) I would then have the confidence to perhaps join something more serious.

With the addition of our vocals it looks as if I won't have to look elsewhere. This is getting more serious, I just have to work to be sure I keep my end up - or in the case of bass perhaps down? I am quite self critical and well aware of the areas I need to work on.

Where that leaves Mr Sax remains to be seen.

[quote name='grumpyguts' timestamp='1451314357' post='2939480']
...My intention was just to see if (after over 25 years of bass inactivity) I could play anything acceptable. If the answer was yes (and it is) I would then have the confidence to perhaps join something more serious. With the addition of our vocals it looks as if I won't have to look elsewhere...
[/quote]

If the situation is morphing into what you wanted anyway then I suppose it's well handy! And if it's not the case for other members of the band, then presumably the outcome for them is fairly inevitable.