Why become a member? ×

Free Bass Transcriptions

TKenrick

• 2 months later...

Having spent the last couple of months enduring all sorts of self-induced technical hitches it's finally time for some new content.

First up is part 1 of a clinic with Janek Gwizdala that I bootlegged in 2007 when I was studying at ACM in Guildford. Here he talks about what he learned by 'ripping off' great players like Herbie Hancock, Allan Holdsworth and George Benson:

There's a PDF of the transcribed speech/widdling available HERE

Edited by TKenrick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some new things have gone up on the site today:

- Part 2 of a Janek Gwizdala Masterclass from 2007 where he discusses how he got into playing the bass, following Laurence Cottle about, how he developed his technique and why he advocates singing while playing:

Transcription is HERE

- New transcriptions in the archive:

Edited by TKenrick

Great coverage. He did a masterclass in 2009 in my first term at ACM and he was pretty similar to how he was here, although I think he might have been touring with VV Brown at that point. It's funny that during the masterclass I went to, he knew nothing about gear and was very bullish in his persona, a stark contrast to what we see in the YT vlog. Funnily enough these days, I find myself caring less about gear and more about transcribing and improvisation, so I wish his vlog covered more what he said in he masterclass as I'd appreciate it more now.

Did you record any others? I wish it was something I had done, there were masterclasses from Ruphus Philpot, Laurence Cottle, and Gary Willis, all where I only remember bits.

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1505295318' post='3370763']
Great coverage. He did a masterclass in 2009 in my first term at ACM and he was pretty similar to how he was here, although I think he might have been touring with VV Brown at that point. It's funny that during the masterclass I went to, he knew nothing about gear and was very bullish in his persona, a stark contrast to what we see in the YT vlog. Funnily enough these days, I find myself caring less about gear and more about transcribing and improvisation, so I wish his vlog covered more what he said in he masterclass as I'd appreciate it more now.

Did you record any others? I wish it was something I had done, there were masterclasses from Ruphus Philpot, Laurence Cottle, and Gary Willis, all where I only remember bits.
[/quote]

It's definitely amusing to see how he has relaxed his stance on certain topics - this may or may not be as a result of his desire to appeal to a wider audience; more people want to watch videos about gear than want to actually get down to it and [i]do the work. [/i]

There weren't that many decent clinics when I was there (2005-2008), I think I we had Stu Hamm, Todd Johnson and the rhythm section from Jamiroquai. I would've loved it if we'd had Rufus, Laurence or Gary! I actually found that the most informative ones were from drummers...

The last part of the Janek thing should be up in a week or so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1508933037' post='3395431']
Man, thats nuts. Awesome rhythm reading dude.
[/quote]

Thanks! I cheated slightly in that the transcription process helped me to internalise the line so I wasn't [i]really[/i] sight reading it...

Full transcription and analysis of why Jaco's debut recording as a sideman is so significant when looking at his influence in a wider context:

You can find the transcription and written analysis HERE

Edited by TKenrick

• 2 weeks later...