Why become a member? ×

Greetings from Portsmouth UK

Duckspeak

HI Everyone,

Thought I would drop a note to say hello and introduce myself.

My bass credentials are somewhat lacking in comparison to the majority on these forums - there is clearly some amazing knowledge from the threads I have already read.
In '94 I bought my first bass but within a month, I had to sell it for personal reasons. I am now looking to start again many years later and am looking for my second bass!! (Lots of personal stuff happened in the years between).

I now live in Portsmouth but work in London (hoping to change that as the commute is not the greatest) and am looking for a bit of a budget/starter set up as my wife thinks this will be a passing fad and money is a bit tight right now. I am determined to show her otherwise !!
I am into all sorts of music but my taste has changed since I last had a bass so looking for a good all purpose bass that I can experiment with and find the sound I want to run with.

Wishing everyone a happy festive time :santa:

Thanks Woodinblack,

I am actually looking at the Ibanez's at the moment but biding my time, educating myself and looking at the forums here, ebay and gumtree. Selling some non musical stuff to get a decent budget together.

Funny how people have different perspectives....I escaped to Portsmouth, or more precisely Southsea, from London. Cannot say I have regretted the move :)

Oh don't get me wrong, If I am standing on the seafront looking outwards, Portsmouth is beautiful. Just the inside I am not so keen on, but then yes, I would prefer it to London!

Ibanez necks can be a bit marmite, they are very narrow, some people don't like them, some do. Luckily Portsmouth has a few music shops, so nip into PJs or Nevada and find what feels right. You don't necessarily need to get something but see how they feel in your hands and which don't work for you.

Thanks for the welcome Jim, Paul and Gareth :)

@Paul - bit of a bummer isn't it but we all have to pay the bills. Hoping to get something more local in the near future myself.

@Gareth - From what I have heard, working at unis is a good environment; think you deserve it after 10 years of that commute!

[quote name='Duckspeak' timestamp='1450814934' post='2936172']
Hi there James,

Good advice there :) It does feel like I am a kid in a proverbial candy store. When I got my first bass all those years ago, I was only really into a couple of genres.
[/quote]
That's the sort of thing I've found with a lot of people, they know what they like and don't always go looking for new things. There's an absolute plethora of AMAZING bass heavy music out there, if you ever fancy grabbing a beer and chatting bass some more, drop me a message on here and I'm sure we can arrange something! :)

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1451256938' post='2939188']

That's the sort of thing I've found with a lot of people, they know what they like and don't always go looking for new things. There's an absolute plethora of AMAZING bass heavy music out there, if you ever fancy grabbing a beer and chatting bass some more, drop me a message on here and I'm sure we can arrange something! :)
[/quote]

I'm up for a pint and chatting bass too, let's all make an afternoon of it

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1452435482' post='2949874']

Only just seen this mate, def up for meeting for bass chatting and beer drinking!
[/quote]

Pick the right pub with a quiet back area and could also take basses along to see what each other has/uses

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1452440274' post='2949935']

Pick the right pub with a quiet back area and could also take basses along to see what each other has/uses
[/quote]
Good idea! Nothing springs to mind instantly, but there's plenty about to do such a thing! I do believe we are already friends on Facebook, send me an inbox any time mate and we can arrange something a bit more :)

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1452442900' post='2949962']

Good idea! Nothing springs to mind instantly, but there's plenty about to do such a thing! I do believe we are already friends on Facebook, send me an inbox any time mate and we can arrange something a bit more :)
[/quote]

James, I believe we are. Let's both have a think and try arrange something for in a few weeks time?

• 1 month later...