Why become a member? ×

4 Question You Would Ask A New Prospective Band

blue

I don't hold with 'making the right decision', I fly by the seat of my trousers (pants, in the US, I think..?). I can't, for myself, think of any circumstances so bad that I'd regret any mature choice I'd make; certainly not that I could have warded off with a few pointed questions. If it turns out less than expected (my expectations are very low indeed, so that's quite a challenge in itself..!), I'd just re-appraise and take the relevant course of action (Make things work better..? Look elsewhere..? Put up with it..? etc...). I trust my own judgement and self-confidence enough to not be afraid of making mistakes. There's a bit of 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger' in there, too. 'Sworked so far...

I think 'Mission' is a bit grandiose. Maybe something like, 'Are you likely to stay together long enough to see a modicum of success?' may be more realistic. I think using business-speak and treating the whole thing as if it's a job interview (even though it may actually be a job) is probably counter-productive... most musicians I know regardless of genre, pro ability or whatever, tend to be a bit nuts in one way or another. I'd want to know how many gigs I'd be doing and how much I'd be paid, for sure.

Generally what I'd like to know from potential bandmates is "how long do you practice for individually in-between rehearsals?" that gives me a good indication of how committed everyone else is, and how seriously they take the project.

Another way to phrase this would be "how much time should I put in/do you expect of me between rehearsals?"

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1450741628' post='2935496']
Generally what I'd like to know from potential bandmates is "how long do you practice for individually in-between rehearsals?" that gives me a good indication of how committed everyone else is, and how seriously they take the project.

Another way to phrase this would be "how much time should I put in/do you expect of me between rehearsals?"
[/quote]

Another example of important questions.

Blue

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1450741447' post='2935491']
I think 'Mission' is a bit grandiose. Maybe something like, 'Are you likely to stay together long enough to see a modicum of success?' may be more realistic. I think using business-speak and treating the whole thing as if it's a job interview (even though it may actually be a job) is probably counter-productive... most musicians I know regardless of genre, pro ability or whatever, tend to be a bit nuts in one way or another. I'd want to know how many gigs I'd be doing and how much I'd be paid, for sure.
[/quote]

You might be right about the business approach. I do this for a living. If I don't I'm done.

Blue

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1450743683' post='2935514']
1. What happened to the last Bassist?
2. What happened to the last Singer?
3. What happened to the last Drummer?
4. Where's the door?
[/quote]

Turnover of band members is always something I want to know about.

Blue

These are the four questions I should have asked my last band..

Is the singer who thinks he runs the band actually completely penniless due to the fact he only works part time picking balls up on a golf course and totally relies on everyone else for money, transport and gear?

Does the singer possess a shonky old acoustic guitar that has such a bad back-bow that when played all the strings drag on all the frets and your offer to adjust the truss rod is met with 'nah mate, I like a really low action'?

After spending copious amounts of time and money rehearsing does the singer take a load of amphetamine before playing live?

After putting in a few gigs and pulling in punters due to the new bass players exiting full-on rock and roll stance, will the singer sack the bass player because he wants his mate the old boring bass player back in because he's jealous?

I've got a few more I'd ask the drummer, but rules is rules

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1450745942' post='2935527']
These are the four questions I should have asked my last band..

Is the singer who thinks he runs the band actually completely penniless due to the fact he only works part time picking balls up on a golf course and totally relies on everyone else for money, transport and gear?

Does the singer possess a shonky old acoustic guitar that has such a bad back-bow that when played all the strings drag on all the frets and your offer to adjust the truss rod is met with 'nah mate, I like a really low action'?

After spending copious amounts of time and money rehearsing does the singer take a load of amphetamine before playing live?

After putting in a few gigs and pulling in punters due to the new bass players exiting full-on rock and roll stance, will the singer sack the bass player because he wants his mate the old boring bass player back in because he's jealous?

I've got a few more I'd ask the drummer, but rules is rules
[/quote]

I think the issue here is more about our ability to spot unprofessional aspects of a band and members before joining.

Blue