Why become a member? ×

Wonky2

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1450820706' post='2936264']
Actually this thread is making me go all misty-eyed...

[/quote]

I find it slightly discomforting that you knew of the existence of Ms Loggins :) And although educated at a 'boys only' school I've never heard of the euphemism 'tie one one' before, either.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1450889550' post='2936779']
I find it slightly discomforting that you knew of the existence of Ms Loggins :) And although educated at a 'boys only' school I've never heard of the euphemism 'tie one one' before, either.
[/quote]

I didn't know of her existence, actually - I merely Googled 'Loggins' and 'Bikini', hoping to see a picture of Kenny Loggins in a bikini. :mellow:
The fishing angle is just a bonus, obviously...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1450899398' post='2936885']...
[/quote]

... which reminds me (sorry for the 'bump', but it's important... <_< ). Why are those interested in river fishing referred to as 'anglers' eh..? Why..? Why..? :unsure:

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1450907076' post='2936993']
Wouldn't they be trawlers?
[/quote]

Not in a river, surely..? Trawling (in fishery terms...) involves dragging a 'trawl net' along the bottom of the sea, or a lake, behind a boat. The kids I see by the canal are just dipping their nets on rods into the water, catching minnows and gudgeons. That's not trawling, I'm sure.

Hang on - there's something important that we seem to have missed. It'll come to me.

Ah yes. Cookies.

See what you miss if you're not concentrating? Personally, I like the white chocolate ones.

Right, back to logs. Or was it angles, and if so, what about Saxons, eh? Or Iron Maidens, come to that?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1450900282' post='2936897']
Because a fish-hook is known as an 'angle'. :)
[/quote]

I believe the original term was "fishing with an angle" a book by someone I have just forgotten. Much in the same way that I just went to the kitchen to get a pair of scissors and came back with a pint of beer.

Edited by gelfin

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1450908256' post='2937011']...
Right, back to logs. Or was it angles, and if so, what about Saxons, eh? Or Iron Maidens, come to that?
[/quote]

Logs first...

We can do angles later (we'll maybe stick to Euclidean geometry at first, eh..?). As for Germanic and/or Norse dynasties (those distinctions are, in themselves, a whole tangled subject, which could roll on for pages...), I'm not sure that this is an appropriate thread for that... :mellow:

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1450908741' post='2937019']
I believe the original term was "fishing with an angle" a book by someone I have just forgotten. Much in the same way that I just went to the kitchen to get a pair of scissors and came back with a pint of beer.
[/quote]

This one, maybe..?

[url="http://www.flyfishinghistory.com/treatise_prologue.htm"]The Treatyse of Fishing with an Angle ...[/url]

It doesn't explain the use of the term 'angle', however, unless it's derived from the French '[i]aiguille[/i]', meaning needle..?

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1450908905' post='2937022']
Ha, he could have worked it out with a pencil.
[/quote]

I hesitate to ask for clarification as to the meaning of this post, hoping against hope that it's not some kind of uncomfortable euphemism of which I wish to know very little. :unsure:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1450909105' post='2937026']
This one, maybe..?

[url="http://www.flyfishinghistory.com/treatise_prologue.htm"]The Treatyse of Fishing with an Angle ...[/url]

It doesn't explain the use of the term 'angle', however, unless it's derived from the French '[i]aiguille[/i]', meaning needle..?
[/quote]

Thanks Dad that's the one.

I am minded of an anecdote, recounted by the very late John Aubrey in his work edited as 'Brief Lives' (a wonderful stage play, too, with the late Roy Doltice, but I digress...). He (Aubrey...) wrote, in Elizabethan times ...

"This Earle of Oxford, making of his low obeisance to Queen Elizabeth, happened to let a Fart, at which he was so abashed and ashamed that he went to Travell, 7 yeares. On his returne the Queen welcomed him home, and sayd, My Lord, I had forgott the Fart."

In a similar manner, perhaps the original [i]faux pas[/i] by the creator of this topic is, maybe, now forgotten..? One may hope...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1450911690' post='2937063']
In a similar manner, perhaps the original [i]faux pas[/i] by the creator of this topic is, maybe, now forgotten..? One may hope...
[/quote]
So what you're saying is, the longer we keep the thread going, the more likely it is that the OP's shame will be forgotten?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1450899398' post='2936885']
I didn't know of her existence, actually - I merely Googled 'Loggins' and 'Bikini', hoping to see a picture of Kenny Loggins in a bikini. :mellow:
[/quote]

Kenny Loggins in a bikini. Of course.

:unsure: