Why become a member? ×

Tubescreamer advice

Muppet

Can anyone recommend a model of Tubescreamer that retains the lower end? I like the tone but all the ones I've tried take the bottom end out and I have to eq the amp to suit. Is this a trait of all Tubescreamers and something I'd just have to live with?

thanks

Steve

Can you not mix in some 'dry' tone in parallel, in effect creating a 'blend'..? That's how I use fx for bass, in general. The TS doesn't have its own 'blend' control, so you'd need another pedal or a mini-mixer to do it. Just a thought.

I'm not familiar with that pedal (I'm a drummer, after all..! :lol: ), but it looks as if it would do the job. Set up one lop with just the 'dry' sound; set up a second loop with a mix of 'dry' and 'TS'. Leave the TS permanently on, and use the LS to switch between 'dry' alone and 'dry + TS'. Is that 'do-able'..?

The mid-range hump is kind of what gives a TS its charm but as others have said, you can modify them quite easily. It's one of the most popular OD circuits in the world (if not the most) and there's a lot of schematics online (you could even build one yourself for quite cheap with a DIY kit and tune it to taste).

I built the pedalparts ts808 kit which was excellent. Did the straight kit for guitar. There is also a much smaller version without buffers which might leave enough room for a blend circuit, which pedalparts also have. Talk to the diy effects thread for modding ideas there are some very capable builders there.

I've got a Maxon OD-9 Pro+ which I really like
[url="http://www.maxonfx.com/nine-series-effects-pedals/od-9-pro-plus-overdrive"]http://www.maxonfx.c...-plus-overdrive[/url]
Apparently it's a tubescreamer but 'better' with more options, might be right up your street (the specs mention 'more low end').

However these days I like so [i]little[/i] overdrive that I just use a tiny bit of my Fulltone OCD pedal, and the OD-9 doesn't get out much.

Edited by tedmanzie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1465133056' post='3065499']
Try it with a Boss Blues Driver in front. It'll fatten up plenty.
[/quote]

Spooky you say that, that's exactly what I've been doing for a while and you're spot on!

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1465142247' post='3065560']
Spooky you say that, that's exactly what I've been doing for a while and you're spot on!
[/quote]
Yeah the Blues Driver appears to have become a vital component in the gain paths of so many pedal boards with tube screamers!

The Metal Zone fattens up strats very nicely as well if you're looking for OTT gain. Simon Neill in Biffy Clyro uses it as an essential part of his set up.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1465182264' post='3065884']
Yeah the Blues Driver appears to have become a vital component in the gain paths of so many pedal boards with tube screamers!

The Metal Zone fattens up strats very nicely as well if you're looking for OTT gain. Simon Neill in Biffy Clyro uses it as an essential part of his set up.
[/quote]

Did you see the episode of That Pedal Show with Simon Neil? Very interesting :)

I use a Nux OD-3 which is a Chinese tubescreamer clone. I tend to use it with the gain and the tone quite low and use it more of a boost. It works well enough for me...especially since it cost £14 :D

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1465193215' post='3065897']
Did you see the episode of That Pedal Show with Simon Neil? Very interesting :)
[/quote]
On Youtube? Not yet, but I will!

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen this. Don't know if it's been suggested but I understand the Voodoo labs sparkle drive is a TS clone with a blend already built in. It's a guitar pedal but the blend should allow you to dial in your original signal to retain lows.

Bass specific, you have the fulltone bass drive which I also understand it a TS clone. No blend but being a specific bass pedal, one could assume it retains most of the lows. I believe Nate Mendel from Foo Fighters is a fan of these.

YMMV.