Why become a member? ×

Barefaced BB2 + Compact (G2) vs TKS 1126 cabs.

mcnach

Perhaps have a listen to the Doods demo video of the Big Twin II , might giver you an idea of what two BB2 would be like ?

Thank you for the check - yes, the demo is actually on YouTube as well, though better off checking out the magazine review for the original video. As I understand it, you'll get a gnats more out of a pair of BB2 verses the Big Twin II. I think this has something to do with additional porting in comparison to the single cabinet, but Alex will be able to answer this better. I really want to hear what two big twins sound like in my stereo set up!! - I'm saving up! Edited by Dad3353

What I've just done is say "to hell with it! Let's get a couple of S112s!"... so yup, they've been ordered. It seems I may get lucky as Tommy had some ready to cover in vinyl and they may ship within a couple of days.
It's a rather expensive way to figure out which combination works best for me, but I figured I deserved a Xmas present ;)

I like the cut of your gib Sir! Edited by Dad3353

What I've just done is say "to hell with it! Let's get a couple of S112s!"... so yup, they've been ordered. It seems I may get lucky as Tommy had some ready to cover in vinyl and they may ship within a couple of days.
It's a rather expensive way to figure out which combination works best for me, but I figured I deserved a Xmas present ;)

So, you can run the Shuttle into the Compact and BB2, the LMIII into the 2 x 1126s, and the Streamliner into the 2 x 112s: triple splitter, you've got three stacks and erm, triereo sound... :0)

Aw, go on: it's Christmas... :D Edited by Dad3353

What you say makes a lot of sense to me! The Schroeders tend to be 'accused' of being too mid-rich, perhaps much like BFs do, perhaps because they're less coloured. The Streamliner needs tamed a bit, a scooped cab can make it sound horrible for my taste. The Compact+BB2 sounded better with the LM3 I used to have... and which I'll probably buy again at some point. I thought the Shuttle would do the same job and be a bit more versatile, but I do miss that LM3. Never tried an F1.

It's certainly a 1st world problem :lol:

Ive swapped from a Schroeder 1212L to a BB2 and there seems to be a world of difference. The BB2 seems to be less coloured, certainly compared to the 1212L Some might like that, i must admit ive had a love/hate relationship with the 1212L for a few years. No question it did the job but one thing ive noticed now is that i can hear more of a difference between my basses. Before i felt the cab made them all sound pretty similar. There is more clarity and definition in the low end with the BB2 and even the very lowest notes have some growl, something i really struggled to get with the 1212L.
Going from the lowest notes to the higher ones there seems to be a lack of mud and more clarity on each note. Before i fond notes were blending together more, depending on the room/stage.

I had a Streamliner for a few months and really struggled to get on with it. It just seemed to be a bit too "big" for the 1212L, especially on hollow stages. I just couldn't tame it. This was coming from a MB SA450. I ended up getting a MB F1 head and ive had it for a good few years now. I think the MB tone is quite bland and lifeless compared to some heads, but they give a good starting point without too much of their own personality being overlaid.

Thats my thoughts anyway. Edited by Dad3353

"... These speakers sound a bit 'mid scooped' to me. ..."

I have a duo of TKS 2126 cabs. The 2126 and 1226 are kind of the same animal, just different sizes. I also have a Streamliner 900 I use with one 2126. The thing is, the 2126 and 1226 have a really full and deep bottom. Another thing is the STL 900 has a very emphasized bottom end too, so the pair could easily get boomy and "lack mid". Here is the finesse with the whole tamale: if you cut the low on the amp - not a thing a bass player like to do - and maybe, just maybe, add a tad of mid, well, then you're there. A good thing with the cab is that you can save some amp headroom that way.

Last week I used both my 2126 cabs stacked behind me with my trusty old WT800B on a jazz gig; not for sheer loud volume, but to have the tone behind me all the time. I played my six string Dingwall: a dream!

Edited by bassmayhem

It'll be interesting to hear how you get on mcnach. I'm only across in Fife and have a couple of Vanderkley 210MNT cabs, might be cool to do a wee comparison "shoot out" one day if you fancy a get together. Now that the bridge is open again, not too big a hassle popping across for an hour or two.

"... These speakers sound a bit 'mid scooped' to me. ..." I have a duo of TKS 2126 cabs. The 2126 and 1226 are kind of the same animal, just different sizes. I also have a Streamliner 900 I use with one 2126. The thing is, the 2126 and 1226 have a really full and deep bottom. Another thing is the STL 900 has a very emphasized bottom end too, so the pair could easily get boomy and "lack mid". Here is the finesse with the whole tamale: if you cut the low on the amp - not a thing a bass player like to do - and maybe, just maybe, add a tad of mid, well, then you're there. A good thing with the cab is that you can save some amp headroom that way. Last week I used both my 2126 cabs stacked behind me with my trusty old WT800B on a jazz gig; not for sheer loud volume, but to have the tone behind me all the time. I played my six string Dingwall: a dream!

That's right, I generally cut lows quite a bit when using the Streamliner [1], with any cab, but the 1126 needs the lows cut the most. The Streamliner mids control doesn't get me with those cabs where I want to... the 200Hz setting is a bit low and the 600Hz a bit high. They can sound good, but I find the 'right' sound for me more easily with the BF BB2/Compact combo.

The reason I'm trying the S112 now is that I suspect they'll have enough bottom for me and probably give me the sound I want more easily than the 1126, while being even lighter and more compact which right now is an important factor (the size more than the weight, weight is just a bonus).

I could probably find an amp that works better for me with the 1126... I love the MarkBass LMIII, and the Shuttle 9.2 (which I also own) is probably better suited for those cabs. I'd be quite happy with the 2x 1126, to be frank. But that's the curse of having choices ;) The S112 is likely to be, tonally, a better match for what I want, and I really could use with reducing the cab sizes a little more. The step from 1126 to S112, sizewise, may not sound significant to many, but it will be to me, at the moment.
I like the idea of keeping a setup capable of moving more air, for the few times when I really need that ability. In that respect, the BF set get louder and bigger than the 1126 set.

[1] in fact, I quite often turn down the low end in my amp, any amp, as it became clear long ago that at gig volume boosting the low end tends to sound a little muddy. I like my low mids, definition. It never seems to sound weak on the dance floor.

Edited by Dad3353

It'll be interesting to hear how you get on mcnach. I'm only across in Fife and have a couple of Vanderkley 210MNT cabs, might be cool to do a wee comparison "shoot out" one day if you fancy a get together. Now that the bridge is open again, not too big a hassle popping across for an hour or two.

Why not? that sounds good to me! :)

I just had knee surgery (on the 18th, torn meniscus) so I'm still recovering and don't fancy carrying cabs about, but give me a couple more weeks and I should be alright. It'll also mean I'll have my pair of TKS S112 with me, so I can bring those too. Getting all three pairs in my hatchback will be an interesting challenge but I'm sure I can manage :lol: Edited by Dad3353

• 3 weeks later...

Why not? that sounds good to me! :)

I just had knee surgery (on the 18th, torn meniscus) so I'm still recovering and don't fancy carrying cabs about, but give me a couple more weeks and I should be alright. It'll also mean I'll have my pair of TKS S112 with me, so I can bring those too. Getting all three pairs in my hatchback will be an interesting challenge but I'm sure I can manage :lol:

Edited by Dad3353

I would love to hear that! Edited by Dad3353

The cabs are home, happy to meet at Dek's rehearsal space wherever that may be. Nights are better than weekends.

Same here. Except Wednesdays, and next Monday, I'm usually ok.
8pm-ish to make sure I can get there.
Let's do it :) Edited by Dad3353

• 3 months later...

... not missing the 1126 cabs. They were beautiful and sounded very sweet... but a pair of S112 is much more my kind of thing. I've been singing praises elsewhere about them. I ended up with 4 of them in fact! :lol: but I only need 2.

For 'bigger guns'... a pair of BF BB2 are pretty cool. And they do fit in the boot of my car after all! :/

Edited by Dad3353

Having tried the S112, I've found that I can get a [b]very[/b] similar sound out of the 1126 by using a variable high pass filter. The main advantage of the 1126 is (like the Fearless F112) you can pump lots of power into it and it just gets louder without sounding boxy. I could probably have done all my historical gigs with just one cab and a 800w amp.
My Markbass TTE801 has a lot more bottom end than my old TTE500 which I wasn't expecting and given the 1126's are flat and full response I can achieve the "character" I'm after with the head. I do have to curb the bottom end though.

Having tried the S112, I've found that I can get a very similar sound out of the 1126 by using a variable high pass filter. The main advantage of the 1126 is (like the Fearless F112) you can pump lots of power into it and it just gets louder without sounding boxy. I could probably have done all my historical gigs with just one cab and a 800w amp.
My Markbass TTE801 has a lot more bottom end than my old TTE500 which I wasn't expecting and given the 1126's are flat and full response I can achieve the "character" I'm after with the head. I do have to curb the bottom end though.

They do have a bit of bottom end, eh? I played at a largeish bar once with the 1126s, and there was a reggae band before us who would used our equipment. The amount of bass that box can pump out was remarkable. Edited by Dad3353

They do have a bit of bottom end, eh? I played at a largeish bar once with the 1126s, and there was a reggae band before us who would used our equipment. The amount of bass that box can pump out was remarkable.

I'd decided that I'd rather have the bass response there and cut to the required amount. With the HPF on my Fishman Platinum it's possible to find the sweet spot of trouser flappy-ness without swamping the mids so you can't hear the notes. Edited by Dad3353