Why become a member? ×

Barefaced BB2 + Compact (G2) vs TKS 1126 cabs.

mcnach

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

Yes, that's what I meant but I didn't want to say 'scooped' as it makes it sound worse than it was. They were NICE no doubt! I was just in a great position to have various sets of cabs to choose from, and my "loud and light" solution was won by a pair of BB2 cabs as I found easier to get that midrange I want. I'm positive I could have made the 1126 work just fine, and they were prettier (red! :D) but the BB2 narrowly won (for me) and they fitted better in the boot of my small car (an A3) which was also a factor in my decision.

Three S112 could be pretty cool. They're so small and light,and sound great... between three of them spreading the goodness I'm positive I'll get all the volume I need. If I see one for sale when I have money to waste ;) I may give that a try, just to see. If it works well I may just let my two Two10 go and simply have 3 little cabs for maximum modularity and save space at home too. I really like my Two10 cabs... but I always preferred the S112 for sound.

Interesting - seems that I should maybe equating the TKS 1126 + tweeter with the BB2 and the TKS 112 (tweeterless) with the BF SC?

I actually find the BF cabs a little lacking in the mids, as it is, so if the 1126 is more 'scooped' than the BF it's likely to be going in the wrong direction and the Fearless F112 will continue to be the cab for me (just waiting for @dave_bass5 to decide it's not 'quite right' for him and to sell it back to me. Give him a couple of weeks...😁)

Did you consider getting a pair of 212s (or possibly a 410) instead of 4 x 112s?

Edited by Al Krow

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Interesting - seems that I should maybe equating the TKS 1126 + tweeter with the BB2 and the TKS 112 (tweeterless) with the BF SC?

I actually find the BF cabs a little lacking in the mids, as it is, so if the 1126 is more 'scooped' than the BF it's likely to be going in the wrong direction for me and the Fearless F112 will continue to be the cab for me (just waiting for @dave_bass5 to decide it's not 'quite right' for him and to sell it back to me. Give him a couple of weeks...😁

Did you consider getting a pair of 212s (or possibly a 410) instead of 4 x 112s?

@Al Krow, . Seeing as i sold my other cab id need to keep hold of this anyway, but i have a feeling its going to be perfect.

13 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I actually find the BF cabs a little lacking in the mids, as it is, so if the 1126 is more 'scooped' than the BF it's likely to be going in the wrong direction for me and the Fearless F112 will continue to be the cab for me (just waiting for @dave_bass5 to decide it's not 'quite right' for him and to sell it back to me. Give him a couple of weeks...😁

I don't think I could call any of the BF cabs I tried (15" Compact or the 12" BB2 and SuperMidgets) lacking in the mids, I found them pretty 'transparent', as bass cabs go. In fact, sometimes I wanted to tame the higher mids on those (not because they enhance them, but because I think I like lower high mids myself and less of the higher mids and treble ranges).

The 1126 and the BB2 are not a bad comparison, in that they're both big sounding, and you can probably get one to sound like the other, but their inherent voicing is different. The 1126 sounds more 'pleasant' at first, to my ears, possibly because the higher mids are not as prominent. The BB2 is probably just more transparent, or 'flat' in its response.

The SC I think it's a very different beast from the S112, but I'm just going by what I read as I have not tried a SC myself. The S112 is a tiny cab, as far as 12s go. With a ceramic driver whose details I forget but I remember it being something relatively common in the bass world. It is not very highly rated, 250W or so I think, so with it being in a smaller box than the SC, probably can't even begin to compete with is volume-wise. Not to say it's weak, it's just that you need to be a bit mindful when using amplifiers capabl of delivering hundreds of watts. Because of the relatively small box, there is not as much bass as in other bigger 112s. It's not that it sounds weak, again, it's just that it's voiced with a bit less bass. You can turn up the bass controls a bit and it responds beautifully, but because of the power handling limits, you need to be a bit careful, more careful than with anything like a SC or BB2. But I personally love their sound. They're only around 11Kg I think. Something ridiculous. So carrying a couple is nothing. They just make getting the sound I like very very very easy: fat, but with good definition, strong low mids, punchy but not too bassy, and probably not a lot going on above 5 KHz (which is a lot brighter than it seems to most people, slap bass sounds REALLY nice with that top end rolloff).

I've used a single one at band rehearsals, full band. Use the wall wisely and it sounds plenty big on its own. For gigs, as a stage monitor I've used one just fine. For small bars I used two generally, without PA. I even played a small beer garden without PA, just the LM3 and the two cabs and I was not pushing it too hard. The drums were not mic'd either, so it was loud enough, but not crazy loud.

Larger bars... I have reached the point where I wanted a bit more but I was afraid of pushing too much. A HPF would probably be helpful although the LM3 has a built-in one, but I noticed even a Thumpinator seemed to have a (positive) effect with it.

Three cabs will probably see  me quite happily play any of my common gigs, and ifwe need more it's definitely PA support time. Trouble is I'm not sure I can fit 3 in my boot... hmmm. I may have just found the reason I needed to stop being silly and not thinking of buying anything else now :D

No, I didn't consider 212s or 410s because I wanted something easy to take with me wherever. I used to have a heavy 410. Not superheavy, at just over 40Kg, but with the bulk, it was not fun when I had to load/unload by myself, and at the time I lived in an apartment with stairs to climb etc... not great, not my idea of the end of a good evening ;)

I like small boxes, as many as you need, so you can use just what you need each time. That's where the Two10 are working well for me. While I prefer the TKS S112, the Two10 is nice enough, loud enough, small enough and light enough... and two fit perfectly in my boot.

As for the 4x 112s... that was never my plan. I had the pair of blue ones, and I was liking them a lot. I decided the 1126 were going to go already, and someone else here had a pair of black S112 they wanted to swap for my 1126... so we arranged a swap plus a bit of cash my way. It was just a chance to experiment with adding more cabs and see how that worked. Eventually I sold the black ones too because if I needed more volume, I wanted something I could fit in my boot and not fill the car with stuff... I tried the Two10, and I got a pair. For some reason I never tried 3 of the S112s...

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Captain Rumble said:

I would sell them all and buy Vanderkley but thats just me

Well i sold my BB2 (which i found did lack mid punch, but i put that partly down to me playing with a pick) and got a Vanderkely 1x15. Couldnt have been happier.....until i got bored with it lol.

5 hours ago, Captain Rumble said:

I would sell them all and buy Vanderkley but thats just me

Are you selling any? ;)

I tried the 210... MNT I think it was, alongside the two TKS types, a single BB2 and a single Compact. They were nice, surprisingly close to the TKS 1226 in sound. Nice, but not my kind.

3 hours ago, krispn said:

@mcnach

I’ve a Tecamp 212m you’re welcome to try out should you ever feel the need. It’s an easy lift and not very heavy I’d say about 18kg (neo speakers) but a very easy list with the handle design!

Thank you, but I'm alright for now :)

I think I've tried that cab (maybe not the very same, but same model) one epic night (same night I tried the Vanderkley ones and various others in one single room) and it was pretty good!

9 hours ago, Captain Rumble said:

I would sell them all and buy Vanderkley but that's just me

VK cabs are excellent. I've found Berg and Fearless to be even better. And BF, whilst my least favourite of this high-end bunch of cabs, wins easily on portability.

19 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Well i sold my BB2 (which i found did lack mid punch, but i put that partly down to me playing with a pick) and got a Vanderkely 1x15. Couldnt have been happier.....until i got bored with it lol.

I haven't got bored of the 15+6 yet works really well with my Musicman through a Walkabout in a 3 piece classic rock band

On 05/10/2019 at 12:32, Captain Rumble said:

I haven't got bored of the 15+6 yet works really well with my Musicman through a Walkabout in a 3 piece classic rock band

Glad it’s still going well. Never really got on with its replacement, but you have to try eh.