Why become a member? ×

Warwick Alien Standard or Deluxe

gt4ever

Hey guys

I was going to purchase the standard 4 string next week but today got a £150 quid tip from a nice generous customer (I'm a tiler) so I can now afford to jump up to the deluxe. I've been craving an accoustic for many years but have always bought other equipment more necessary to immediate needs. Question is, is it worth paying the extra for the deluxe? I'll be using it for noodling in the front room and amped up for gigs so not essential to have big noise when not hooked up. What do I do?

Rich

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1450176055' post='2930189']
I'd go for it. Like almost every other ABG, it's not loud enough without an amp for anything except noodling. Even the hand-built The Alien isn't. And they are certainly fine otherwise.
[/quote]

The Breedlove I'm flogging is way loader than my guitarists seagull dreadnought! It's a 5'er though, doubt it's of use to the OP.

Tried an Alien fretless a few years ago, but that was the non rockbass one. Lovely thing, but it's all laminated woods so was really quiet.

• 1 month later...

There are 3 different current Aliens:
Rockbass standard
Rockbass delux
Alien

All are now made in China. All laminated. All same piezo and preamp.
For the difference in price, although I haven't played any I would probably keep my money and get the cheapest.

I was pondering the same question myself recently - and I ended up with the Rockbass Standard (in my case a 5 string fretless).

The Deluxe has a better bridge - metal, rather than bridge pins. It also has more controls on the pre-amp and a built-in tuner. I figured I didn't need those upgrades as I was only ever going to use it for noodling at home, so I opted for the Standard.

It's great :) My only concern was that bridge pins obviously limit the set up options, but thankfully mine is just right (now strung with LaBella tape wound). The action is low for an acoustic; I literally just fitted the new strings and it's been perfect ever since. No adjustments needed.

£150 isn't a huge hike for a better bridge and more knobs on the pre-amp with the Deluxe. So worth considering but not essential IMO.

Either way, they're very good basses for the money. Mine's definitely a keeper ;)