Why become a member? ×

Vintage Microtubes or Solidgold Beta with a VT Bass always on?

HeyJimmyGogogogo

(Precision through a GK 1001RB)

I have mild CS-2 compressor and a mild VT bass pedal always on.

I want to add one of these two as a warmer, slightly more driven boost.

I like the sound of both. I'd like the pedal to function as an extension to my current sound, to warm/dirty it up a small amount when needed, something I can hop on and off to accent parts.

Any opinions much appreciated.

I run a VT Bass DI always on (just on the edge of breakup) and was using a VMT until recently for this purpose, only stopped because it was unnecessary for the band. They pair together well in my opinion. The VMT has a midrange push which cuts through nicely, and the clean blend means you can get your boost without a drastic tonal change in the low end.

Guest FretNoMore

They both have their own voice so choose depending on which you like best; the VMT with a distinct baked in mid character, and the Beta with a bass boost. Personally I very much prefer the overall sound of the Beta, I actually really dislike the VMT, but the Beta is still not on my board because of this bass boost. Recommending an overdrive is almost impossible as it has so much to do with your personal preference and also depends a lot on what gear you combine it with. Best to try them and listen for yourself if possible.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...