Why become a member? ×

Fave punk and new wave players

kevvo66

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1449924577' post='2928017']
Indeed. And a number of the players mentioned and their fellow band members were fans of the bands they were supposedly rallying against - The Pistols liked Rod & the Faces and The Who; Mick Jones was a fan of Zeppelin and Mott the Hoople - which is maybe where Danny Baker's notion comes from?

But that's probably one for another day!
[/quote]

And that day is today...It's self evident that people will be influenced by the music that they listen to,and it must have been an interesting position for , say, Mick Jones, to be part of a musical movement that owed it's very existence to hating the music he was influenced by....

Anyway, on a personal influence note,Algy Ward when he was in the Damned.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1449923796' post='2928009']
JJ Burnell
N W Roy
Bruce Foxton
Bruce Thomas
Horace Panter
[/quote]
[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1449929471' post='2928090']
Graham Maby (Joe Jackson Band).
[/quote]

Came here to add my 6 names, and I've been beaten to it!

JJ who has still got a killer sound (at least in 2011) when saw him last. The guy from Elvis Costellos Attractions - great technique. Norman of Blockheads fame - quite groovy form this genre.

Never really enjoyed Foxton though lots have included him. For me his tone wasn't great - technique nothing special - haircut by mum.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1449934737' post='2928149']
No idea if XTC were classed as new wave but i am listening to Senses Working Overtime. Havent a clue who plays bass on it, but it sounds good
[/quote]

That would be

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1449922179' post='2927978']
Colin Moulding[/quote]

And, yes, XTC were definitely classed as new wave for the first couple of albums at least.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1449934795' post='2928153']
JJ who has still got a killer sound (at least in 2011) when saw him last. The guy from Elvis Costellos Attractions - great technique. Norman of Blockheads fame - quite groovy form this genre.

Never really enjoyed Foxton though lots have included him. For me his tone wasn't great - technique nothing special - haircut by mum.
[/quote]

Excellent :D

Tone........ not great.
Technique.......nothing special.
Haircut.........by Mum.

:D

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1449936102' post='2928169'] That would be And, yes, XTC were definitely classed as new wave for the first couple of albums at least. [/quote]

At least I am not on my own thinking he sounds good. Not really a fan of theirs. I think Making Plans for Nigel put paid to any interest I may have had.

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1449919381' post='2927935']
Stuart Morrow, New Model Army to name but a few
[/quote]

He was superb on the first two NMA albums.

I'll add:

Peter Hook of Joy Division
David J of Bauhaus
Martin "Youth" Glover of Killing Joke
Barry from Southern Death Cult
Dave Allen and Sara Lee of Gang Of Four
Dave Roberts of Sex Gang Children

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1449943834' post='2928283']
And didn't play on the early records since she was so bad!
[/quote]

Well she's always played live with the band and I've never found fault with her technique... plus we're talking about [b]our[/b] favourite players here aren't we?

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1449938989' post='2928212']
At least I am not on my own thinking he sounds good. Not really a fan of theirs. I think Making Plans for Nigel put paid to any interest I may have had.
[/quote]

Odd that, I think it's their best. The psychedelic album they made in 1985 is pretty incredible too, worth a listen even if XTC's normal stuff doesn't flip your pancake

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1449922304' post='2927984'] Steven Severin of Siouxsie and the Banshees.Who is not very well at the moment.
[/quote]
How did I manage to forget Severin? Always loved his playing.

Didn't know he was unwell, hope he recovers soon.

J.