Why become a member? ×

String gauge help needed!

smurfitt

Hi all,
I have 3 basses and have tried different brands and gauges over the past few yrs. My problem is I cant remember what I last put on my Musicman. Could be either of the following:
The local music shops have technicians but they dont have a micrometer or calipers to measure what gauge is already on this bass. One said it shouldnt matter if I use any of those gauges as there's not much difference. is that correct? Will the intonation be out or muck up the neck?

The other said they would be able to give a rough idea. What?? I'd like to know how they can tell 0.05 of a millimeter difference!!

No known luthiers in the area so any advice would be appreciated.

You can buy an electronic micrometer for less than a fiver.

Even with the same gauges and same make and model of string you will likely need to do a setup. New strings even of same model and gauge are different, they are new.

If they are a different make of string and still the same gauge then you are extremely likely to need to do a full setup.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1449842355' post='2927407']
You can buy an electronic micrometer for less than a fiver.

Even with the same gauges and same make and model of string you will likely need to do a setup. New strings even of same model and gauge are different, they are new.

If they are a different make of string and still the same gauge then you are extremely likely to need to do a full setup.
[/quote]

Wait, does this mean you do a full set-up every time you change your strings?!

[quote name='AinsleyWalker' timestamp='1449842439' post='2927410']
[/quote]

Yes, if it needs it.
I'll always check the intonation & neck relief when I put new strings on & adjust it if necessary.

[quote name='AinsleyWalker' timestamp='1449842439' post='2927410']
[/quote]

I rarely change strings but if I do I would do a setup. I'd also redo or check the setup every now and then anyway without new strings.

How would you know it didn't need doing if you hadn't checked it?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1449842709' post='2927417']
I rarely change strings but if I do I would do a setup. I'd also redo or check the setup every now and then anyway without new strings.

How would you know it didn't need doing if you hadn't checked it?
[/quote]

I guess through my lack of knowledge of how to actually do a set-up on my own I've never thought it was necessary to do that often!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1449843344' post='2927430']
[media]http://youtu.be/D4MdWzN_100[/media]
[/quote]

Thanks for the links! I have a stingray, I know what needs to be done in theory, just never applied it through fear of messing the thing up haha.. Will these videos apply to a ray? (Can't check videos at the moment!)

[quote name='AinsleyWalker' timestamp='1449843488' post='2927433']
Thanks for the links! I have a stingray, I know what needs to be done in theory, just never applied it through fear of messing the thing up haha.. Will these videos apply to a ray? (Can't check videos at the moment!)
[/quote]
The principles are the same for any common fretted bass guitar - by which I mean to exclude 13-stringers and the like, etc. but even there the principles would be the same.

If Carl Pedigo's video doesn't appeal, there are many more on Youtube.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1449843803' post='2927437']
The principles are the same for any common fretted bass guitar - by which I mean to exclude 13-stringers and the like, etc. but even there the principles would be the same.

If Carl Pedigo's video doesn't appeal, there are many more on Youtube.
[/quote]

Yeah, I've checked a few, but they seemed overly complicated needing tons of tools and such... But thanks I will check these out tonight

[quote name='AinsleyWalker' timestamp='1449844026' post='2927445']
Yeah, I've checked a few, but they seemed overly complicated needing tons of tools and such... But thanks I will check these out tonight
[/quote]

You do need some tools - an electronic tuner, appropriate screwdriver(s) and allen key(s), feeler gauge set, short ruler with sixteenths, 18" straight edge rule, and maybe a cheap business card.

Also useful are string cutters, string winder, an electronic micrometer for less than a fiver, a small bottle of lemon oil for your rosewood fretboard, and an appropriate polishing cloth

Edited by EssentialTension

I was going to say, I dont know anyone who does that. I do check my intonation regularly and its never been out no matter what strings I've had on the bass. I mustve misunderstood your post which said:
[i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]I rarely change strings but if I do I would do a setup. I'd also redo or check the setup every now and then anyway without new strings.[/size][/font][/color][/i]

You posted the quotes below and then put up videos to show how to do a complete set up. I think they suggest a set up should be done each time you change the strings??

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i][color=#282828]Even with the same gauges and same make and model of string you will likely need to do a setup.[/color][/i][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i][color=#282828]If they are a different make of string and still the same gauge then you are extremely likely to need to do a full setup.[/color][/i][/font][/size]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i]I rarely change strings but if I do I would do a setu[/i][/font]p.[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='smurfitt' timestamp='1449846592' post='2927487']
You posted the quotes below and then put up videos to show how to do a complete set up. I think they suggest a set up should be done each time you change the strings??

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i][color=#282828]Even with the same gauges and same make and model of string you will likely need to do a setup.[/color][/i][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i][color=#282828]If they are a different make of string and still the same gauge then you are extremely likely to need to do a full setup.[/color][/i][/font][/size]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i]I rarely change strings but if I do I would do a setu[/i][/font]p.[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

He was posting the videos in response to what I said, which was that I didn't know how to set my bass up on my own.
And his comments about setting up each time was just what he does, I've never done that for example.

Edited by AinsleyWalker