Why become a member? ×

Genzler Amplification Magellan 800 - now released!

Ghost_Bass

Ive often seen claims that abs amps master is not an indication of how much its putting out compared to another amp, but surely every single amp is not different?
Its almost like a standard reply that stem people give. I understand what its meant to be saying but its almost just given without actually knowing the two amps are different.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1464021335' post='3055824']
Ive often seen claims that abs amps master is not an indication of how much its putting out compared to another amp, but surely every single amp is not different?
Its almost like a standard reply that stem people give. I understand what its meant to be saying but its almost just given without actually knowing the two amps are different.
[/quote]
There's no real way of knowing or comparing without rigorous measurement, since what you get out depends so greatly on both what you put in and how you set all the other controls.

Edited by Passinwind

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1464022535' post='3055836']
There's no real way of knowing or comparing without rigorous measurement, since what you get out depends so greatly on both what you put in and how you set all the other controls.
[/quote]

Yes i know, but my point is that when someone says amp A is louder than amp B, the standard response seems to be the knob position has no relevance. Without testing both amp how do these people know this? Why is it dismissed without any back up data? How do they know amp A is different to amp B?

Im just wondering as i started to read this thread and saw this quoted a few times.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1464024195' post='3055851']
Yes i know, but my point is that when someone says amp A is louder than amp B, the standard response seems to be the knob position has no relevance. Without testing both amp how do these people know this? Why is it dismissed without any back up data? How do they know amp A is different to amp B?

I'm just wondering as i started to read this thread and saw this quoted a few times.
[/quote]

It's the most reasonable default position to take, IMHO. I've measured many many amps over the years and have found knob position correlation to be pretty darned close to nil. Many other similarly experienced techs or engineers agree, so I suspect that's good enough to work into the "collective intelligence", as it were.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='sshorepunk' timestamp='1464012016' post='3055732']
Still waiting for more opinions on this

I've been gigging a streamliner, whilst I like it, I do miss the top end zing I've had from previous amps, it is a great sound, nice n warm

Tony
[/quote]

Only just seen this one - I went from a Streamliner to a Magellan, and while there's a family resemblance, the Magellan's contour controls open out a lot more possibilities, and that (for me) blooming Streamliner bottom end which I struggled to control (there were some cabs with which it just didn't get on) is much tighter. There's an authority to the amp, too, and a responsiveness to input I've rarely encountered.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1464024195' post='3055851']
Yes i know, but my point is that when someone says amp A is louder than amp B, the standard response seems to be the knob position has no relevance. Without testing both amp how do these people know this? Why is it dismissed without any back up data?
[/quote]
The pots control the amount of tone and volume. Pots are all made to operate differently and different pots are used, so one will do 100% of it's work in the first 50% of it's travel. So an amp with this pot will be fully on with the volume controls at 12 o'clock. Looks like you've got another 50% to go and that can fool the player into thinking the amp is louder than it really is. Other pots will only be fully on at 100% of their travel.

The[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1464860486' post='3063170']
The pots control the amount of tone and volume. Pots are all made to operate differently and different pots are used, so one will do 100% of it's work in the first 50% of it's travel. So an amp with this pot will be fully on with the volume controls at 12 o'clock. Looks like you've got another 50% to go and that can fool the player into thinking the amp is louder than it really is. Other pots will only be fully on at 100% of their travel.
[/quote]

I had a chat with Leszek from Handbox Amplification about this recently, when I asked about input & output knobs on the R-400 needing to be turned a bit higher then 'usual':

[quote]
We use linear potentiometers - other companies use audio potentiometers. If you set the gain knob and volume to the center position (12 o'clock), the R-400 is attenuated 55% of its power. In other amps, when the gain and volume are in the center, they're attenuated 33%. I prefer to use these potentiometers because in my opinion amp is more faster, impulsive. :)
Regards, Leszek[/quote]

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1464859724' post='3063167']
Muzz, I'm sure I noted somewhere that you've done a review on your Magellan.
Buggered if I can find it :unsure: any link fella?
[/quote]

Here you go…I hope :rolleyes: :D

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/284869-nrd-kindamagellan-and-berg-content/page__fromsearch__1