Why become a member? ×

Genzler Amplification Magellan 800 - now released!

Ghost_Bass

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='sshorepunk' timestamp='1455703749' post='2981537']
Anyone tried this amp yet?
Tony
[/quote]
Yes, but not on a gig as yet. The design is, for my modest needs, just about perfect, and it sounds superb through a Barefaced Super Compact. The B contour adds in old-school warmth if you need it, so you essentially have a Shuttle and Streamliner in one box but without the valves. I never had a single problem with my Streamliner but even so, this looks good for long-term reliability. The twin channels should be useful. Every switchable feature has an indicator light. It is a very practical head. As for the performance on a gig that will have to wait a few weeks, but I have no worries given Jeff Genzler's track record and some of the other forum feedback I have read.

Ashdown and Alex are right but the only way to ensure that an amp has s usable volume control all the way up is to match the bass guitar to the input gain of the amp.

Of course some amps ( Ashdown especially ) have some form of input gain or attenuator and arguably the best way to set it up is using the much maligned VU meter. This is exactly what a good sound tech would do with a channel strip on a mixer.

Also remember that the minute you put stomp box on the floor, your gain structure is screwed.

What i'd like to see on the pre section of an amp, for a change, is instead of just the usual mid freq adjustments, actually add a Q sweep, like the filter on ACG bass pre's

I dont remember seeing such an addition on amps, though there may well be some out there with this function

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1456316310' post='2987688']
What i'd like to see on the pre section of an amp, for a change, is instead of just the usual mid freq adjustments, actually add a Q sweep, like the filter on ACG bass pre's

I dont remember seeing such an addition on amps, though there may well be some out there with this function
[/quote]

It's not a bass amp but a preamp. I used to own one and only sold it because i already had the Alembic. The PB1 is a very nice preamp:

Another preamp, doesn't have a "Q" control as wide as the Yamaha but it sounds very good (also had one back in the day):

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1456317151' post='2987706']
Aha!

They're out there - thanks GB.

Didn't one of the Demeter pre's contain a Q sweep ?
[/quote]

Here you go:

It's not labeled as "Q", i think it's "width" but basicly it has two sweepable para-mids with Q control. Nice catch, i wasn't remebering this one.

Yeah thats it - i thought i'd seen one on here some moons ago.

A non UK BC member was selling some J basses and he put video clips up of the sounds of these basses, and in the clip was using a demeter HPB-1.

Hey, what a memory i got

Mind you - i bet the Dem is about 5 times the price of the PB-1

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1456317957' post='2987724']
Yeah thats it - i thought i'd seen one on here some moons ago.

A non UK BC member was selling some J basses and he put video clips up of the sounds of these basses, and in the clip was using a demeter HPB-1.

Hey, what a memory i got

Mind you - i bet the Dem is about 5 times the price of the PB-1
[/quote]

Ahahaha, i think you won't believe how cheap they are. I've got my PB-1 for 120€ and the Ashly for 140€, both used of course, if i remember it correctly.

That sounds about right GB

I'd pay that for a PB-1

I'm sure, in the past anyways, that HBP-1 pre's have been in the £7/800 area, which is there abouts, 5 times the price of the PB-1, so i wasnt far off

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1456324542' post='2987855']
That sounds about right GB

I'd pay that for a PB-1

I'm sure, in the past anyways, that HBP-1 pre's have been in the £7/800 area, which is there abouts, 5 times the price of the PB-1, so i wasnt far off
[/quote]

It's more like 7/8 times more, i've posted my prices in euros, 120€~=£100 ;)

The PB-1 is a great preamp, lots of low end available and the EQ section is extremely versatile. I only kept the F1-X and sold the PB-1 for simplicity and resale value in the long run. I could get both to sound the way i wanted.

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1456327030' post='2987907']
I bet now i've shown some interest in a PB-1 that i'll never find one :)
[/quote]

I have a friend selling one here in Portugal. He's selling it in a rack with a poweramp, i don't know if he'll split. If you're really interested let me know and i'll give him the heads up to talk to you. I think that he's a member in BC.

EDIT: enough OT for now, let's continue it on PM if you want. Back to the Magellan!

Edited by Ghost_Bass

• 2 weeks later...

Well if this is an improvement on the steamliner, it's gonna be good
And as for the discussions going on about class D amps lacking "heft", I would have to disagree! Through a single vanderkley 2x10, there was plenty of it, not tried it with a pair yet!
Tony

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1456316629' post='2987696']
It's not a bass amp but a preamp. I used to own one and only sold it because i already had the Alembic. The PB1 is a very nice preamp:

Another preamp, doesn't have a "Q" control as wide as the Yamaha but it sounds very good (also had one back in the day):

[/quote]

IIRC, didn't the old TC Electronic 1144 preamp have full parametric bands too?
Sorry about the zombie thread derail :)
How's life with the Magellan?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='sshorepunk' timestamp='1464012016' post='3055732']
Still waiting for more opinions on this

I've been gigging a streamliner, whilst I like it, I do miss the top end zing I've had from previous amps, it is a great sound, nice n warm
[/quote]

Heard one again last weekend at the Seattle Talkbass GTG. Much more versatile than the Streamliner, with plenty of air and zing. I've long since stopped buying amps based on others' impressions though.