Why become a member? ×

Speaker combinations .

Kevin Dean

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1449692945' post='2926097']
There's no such thing as throw, at least not where bass cabs are concerned. All lose volume at the same rate, 6dB per doubling of distance when room reflections are not present. Variations in that rate are due to room reflections, not the speaker. Line sources behave differently, but we don't use line sources for bass. A vertical stack of tens or twelves will have some line source properties, but only in the upper midrange.
[/quote]

yes throw isn't really a thing, hence the inverted commas. I was just trying to answer the question without opening up another subject. :)

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1449693256' post='2926104']
It's the height I need for monitoring , I've tried putting the cab on a flight case etc , I wonder If I could do the same as you have but with a smaller BF cab on op of the 12T ?
[/quote]
isn't 2 2x10s stacked vertically getting the top driver closer to ear level than what it would if you popped to on top of a single 15, & if not wouldn't it be the same height?
As for the BF stack, why not ask Alex his opinion & if you can try one?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1449688147' post='2926025']I'd expect this to be a bit iffy... but it depends on your definition of iffy...
[/quote]Me too, most definitely, but it's unlikely to be any worse than my old Ampeg BA115 combo we're using as a vocal monitor at the moment lol! I have the Bose controller eq points from the net and will approximate them with an eq pedal. It'll do until funds allow for a proper solution :)

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1449693256' post='2926104']
It's the height I need for monitoring , I've tried putting the cab on a flight case etc , I wonder If I could do the same as you have but with a smaller BF cab on op of the 12T ?
[/quote]

Another thing to try is a stand that angles the cab back a bit.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1449815114' post='2927058']
Another thing to try is a stand that angles the cab back a bit.
[/quote]I've got one of those, it does make a difference, I can hardly hear the guitarist :rolleyes:

Edited by PaulWarning

There is no point in blatting out the other instruments.
Just as we'd can the gtr for doing this...we should can the bass
so you really want a bass rig/sound that projects as per the other instruments.

To do this without a FOH engr..and pubs aren't really typically big enough for this..
you need to be pretty sorted with your EQ and general set-ups.

Having bass that reaches the back wall at the expense of the other
instruments/voices is no solution at all and if you can't hear the bass
at source, this is not at all helpful.
Having it at your ears isn't much better either as that might be TOO much
your personal mix.

You have to mix for yourself, the band and the audience. It can be very tricky
and tbh, most bands wont achieve it.
Typically, the bass will not be distinct...and just be an undercurrent of
depth-which some prefer,
Others prefer/want to hear every note... and then you should allow
for the fact that keys and gtr want this too.

not sure if that's a comment at my post JTUK, but just because I can't hear the guitar that distinctly doesn't mean the rest of the room can't, I like to hear what I'm playing clearly, if you can't is all to easy to fool yourself that you're playing well when you're not, TBH all I need to hear clearly is me and the drums, we lay the foundation. I've got a wireless set up and go to the back of the room at sound check to make sure everybody is heard as they should be

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1449832787' post='2927267']
I've got 2 112's and I generally use both but where only one cab is needed I still set up both cabs and just plug in the top one.

Call me old fashioned but IMO a stack looks much better than a lonely cab on a stand!
[/quote]couldn't agree more, it's humping them about that's the problem

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1449833440' post='2927275']
I agree, that's why I'm using Barefaced Super Compacts these days. Only 21lbs each.
[/quote]yeah, I've got a Fender Rumble 500 and keep toying with the idea of an extension cab at 20 KG it's still quite bulky though, no doubt I'll crack when I see a second hand one

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1449831194' post='2927241']
not sure if that's a comment at my post JTUK, but just because I can't hear the guitar that distinctly doesn't mean the rest of the room can't, I like to hear what I'm playing clearly, if you can't is all to easy to fool yourself that you're playing well when you're not, TBH all I need to hear clearly is me and the drums, we lay the foundation. I've got a wireless set up and go to the back of the room at sound check to make sure everybody is heard as they should be
[/quote]

Not really. It is more a general comment here as some many times people say they can't hear the bass... or they can't hear the gtr.

I'm wondering what on earth they are listening to...