Why become a member? ×

Basses that just dont... Fit?

MythSte

[quote name='ARGH' post='33901' date='Jul 18 2007, 11:11 PM']Try using your fingers.

Seriously,when you see the rollcall of lines...complex lines played on P-Bass's,usually by ex-Uprightists,with skyhigh action and flats on them or total zoom about the fingerboard work of people like Entwistle or Steve Harris,I must ask are people copping out or what? The only thing a stock P cant do is be slapped,its tone is kak unless you change the P/U....dosent mean you cant play funk on one (George Porter jr).

I have to question your freting hands technique.

The P is the best Passive LRB available period.[/quote]

The nut width on a Precision means that I have to jump about - it makes the frets seem huge. I can't hold all four fingers down on a Precision neck first fret F-Ab on the E string, I just can't.

Sorry. :)

[quote name='paul, the' post='34162' date='Jul 19 2007, 03:29 PM']The nut width on a Precision means that I have to jump about - it makes the frets seem huge. I can't hold all four fingers down on a Precision neck first fret F-Ab on the E string, I just can't.

Sorry. :)[/quote]

I don't think you need to be apologising Paul :huh: , I for one am in the same situation as you and I'm sure there are many others that a P just doesn't suit.

For me, it's Fender Precisions. or nothing. Everything else I've ever tried ends up back in its case...

So that's me the odd one out...I do like both styles of Precision, though, and neither of mine have a C neck, so they're not that chunky.

[quote name='Tinman' post='34273' date='Jul 19 2007, 06:27 PM']I don't think you need to be apologising Paul :) , I for one am in the same situation as you and I'm sure there are many others that a P just doesn't suit.[/quote]

A P-Special is my solution! I prefer the tone as well to the '62 Reissue I had. 1/3 of the price to boot.

My biggest disappointment by far was a gorgeous Status Kingbass Artist that I bought second hand from a brilliant bassist who is now, sadly, no longer with us. It had blue leds, light up dolphins on the neck, wonderful colour, sounded great, everything. However, the first night I gigged with it, after about an hour I got awful cramp in my left shoulder, and ended up in agony for the rest of the night. The second time I used it, the same thing happened again, and I realized that the small body was hanging (and I tried every possible permutation of strap length, strap button, etc to stop it, to no avail) so far over to my left, that it was effectively making the neck a couple of inches longer, so I was having to stretch too far for the low notes.

I tried e mailing Status a couple of times, not complaining, but asking if they were aware of the problem, and would it be possible for them to build me a brand new, similar bass which would hang better. I liked the instrument so much that I intended to sell mine, and buy a new one which I could comfortably play. However, they didnt reply, so as they werent interested, I took my custom elsewhere.

Maybe I am a peculiar shape, but the Kingbass for me was pretty much unplayable. I now gig with a selection of Pedullas and Zons, which are really the bees knees!

The Kingbass is designed to be worn high, a la Mark King. If you wear it low then its known to be uncomfortable, but I've seen a chap on Talkbass (HornyToad I think) has modified his Kingbass artist with a strap extender to make it more comfy.

I've always had excellent service from Rob and Dawn at Status, but occassionally emails dont get through to them because of their spam filter. I'd have suggested ringing the workshop tbh, they've always been happy to go over any ideas, in my experience.

[quote name='ARGH' post='33901' date='Jul 18 2007, 11:11 PM']Try using your fingers.

Seriously,when you see the rollcall of lines...complex lines played on P-Bass's,usually by ex-Uprightists,with skyhigh action and flats on them or total zoom about the fingerboard work of people like Entwistle or Steve Harris,I must ask are people copping out or what? The only thing a stock P cant do is be slapped,its tone is kak unless you change the P/U....dosent mean you cant play funk on one (George Porter jr).

I have to question your freting hands technique.

The P is the best Passive LRB available period.[/quote]

I have quite large hands so find a P quite comfy, but others with smaller hands quite predictably can suffer when playing a P neck. A bass is a tool to do the job - it shouldn't be a struggle to play a bass with a neck not suited to you for the sake of tone. Mind you, I've A/Bed a P bass with a P neck with a P bass deluxe with a Jazz neck though, and couldn't tell any difference in tone myself, so why should people have to put up with discomfort and hand cramps?

Ah, slap tone! I actually love the stock P slap tone. It has that Bootsy-esq mid presence that just oozes funk - the polar opposite of the "modern" tone of Marcus Miller/Mark King etc.

In my experience etc etc, ymmv.