Why become a member? ×

Basses that just dont... Fit?

MythSte

Anything smaller bodied, like the Corvette Josh took off of me. Sounded and played brilliantly, but just kinda felt like a toy in size, especially when sat down. Considering my other basses are a Stingray and 2 Jazz's, i definitely lean towards the slightly larger bodied instruments.
Having said that, Ricken'knackers' have never visually or sonically 'fit' with me, i don't understand them lol

Si

p.s.
Rodders: Try a few, my USA Standard jazz is lovely sounding and feeling, but i to have played some real dogs. Quite often its down to the shop letting them deteriorate, especially if they have air-con, mashes up the necks :)

Edited by Sibob

Well just to prove myself wrong (re. my earlier affirmation that I don't like big flat slabs of wood with the word Fender on the headstock), I've bought a friend's Jazz. Guess what... I don't like it! Why do I keep doing this to myself. I grew up on Jazzes and up until I got my first Warwick I would have argued that the Jazz was the best and most versatile bass readily available. I keep convincing myself that they are great basses and I should own one, I try them out and think 'Yeh, I need one of those in my armoury' and then I live with it for a week and long for my Warwick.

Please, please, please can those people on here who know me stop me from asking questions on BC about Fenders for sale and refer me back to this thread!

Ta.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='31522' date='Jul 13 2007, 06:46 PM']Well just to prove myself wrong (re. my earlier affirmation that I don't like big flat slabs of wood with the word Fender on the headstock), I've bought a friend's Jazz. Guess what... I don't like it! Why do I keep doing this to myself. I grew up on Jazzes and up until I got my first Warwick I would have argued that the Jazz was the best and most versatile bass readily available. I keep convincing myself that they are great basses and I should own one, I try them out and think 'Yeh, I need one of those in my armoury' and then I live with it for a week and long for my Warwick.

Please, please, please can those people on here who know me stop me from asking questions on BC about Fenders for sale and refer me back to this thread!

Ta.[/quote]

Was this after you saw Earl Hickeys burst Jazz?, when's it up for sale :)

[quote name='beerdragon' post='31610' date='Jul 13 2007, 11:06 PM']Was this after you saw Earl Hickeys burst Jazz?, when's it up for sale :)[/quote]

LOL

Oh you don't know how much truth there is in that!

I've had this bass on appro' a little while (at least I learned that much from my recent flirtations with P basses) and though it isn't a block 70's Jazz, I decided Earl's bass was the final straw I had to have it. Gigged it (Matinee show) and fell out of love with it straight away... I am so fickle.

Why Argh..............I keep finding myself gassing for a Status and would like to keep my money in the bank. A persuasive argument would help.

[quote name='ARGH' post='31595' date='Jul 13 2007, 10:32 PM']I find little to love in Status instruments.[/quote]

I have played Statii for many years now. I love the balance, the curves, the shape and the fact that it needs tuning every other month.

I was playing a gig where the other bands bassist has a beautiful Ricky. I had been in awe of these basses, and he actually let me play it for a bit.

Horrible, ghastly, nasty. Sharp edges in all the places where I wanted to rest thumb and wrist. Suffered from head dive and it was soooo heavy. I was gald to give it back.

So I chuckled when I note how many of you also dislike them.

I find any bass (or guitar) horrible to play if it has a gloss neck, so a lot of fenders have never felt right. The BC rich "mockingbird" shape is possibly the most uncomfortable shape invented, also trying to play a "V" shape sitting down :)
Ive never had any issues with neck sizes or shapes though, but i play a Conklin 7 with a runway for a neck. And an Ibanez with "jazz" style neck (as well as other basses & guitars). I love the few Warwicks I've played, yet not got on with virtually every Fender, the exception being a USA jazz deluxe 5- lovely.

[quote name='grapevinebass' post='31686' date='Jul 14 2007, 10:09 AM']I have played Statii for many years now. I love the balance, the curves, the shape and the fact that it needs tuning every other month.[/quote]
I don't think i tune my king bass that often!

I have never found the classic Fender/MM shape comfortable l for me. Or the the Status S2 shape, i had a series 3000 and the top horn dug in to my chest. Rickys dont do much for me either, and I had a Fender Katana bass, sort of Vee shaped, that was to long, with it point headstock and body, kept knocking it into things, and could not be played siting.

On the up side , i find my Thumb very comfortable, and yes that curved back fits my tummy nicely, ( it also a 1990 thumb so no chunky neck or neck dive, why did they change it! ) My Kingbass fits well, and the Asbory is so small you just don't notice it. My Explorer is very comfortable, the body shape has good balance siting down and standing up . You can even rest you right arm along the back wing Entwistle style.

I love the look and sound of a great many basses but the only ones that work for me are Fender Jazzes and Warwicks.

The big disappointment for me has been Stingrays (and SUBs). I love the look and the sound on so many classic recordings but they just don't feel (or sound) right - the ones I've tried out anyway. Even the pre-EB ones didn't work for me. I have a funny feeling though that a lot of vintage basses haven't had a string change or set-up since the early 80s.

The other big disappointment for me has to be Fender Jazzes with rosewood 'boards and white blocks/binding. That is the ULTIMATE neck in terms of look for me but not a single one I've played has agreed with me. It's weird 'cos I have a Fender Jazz with a rosewood board which sounds great for fingerstyle and a late '70s Fender Jazz with maple neck and blocks/binding - amazing for slap and fingerstyle. Again, the big problem could be the crap strings / lack of a decent set-up.

[quote name='The Funk' post='31805' date='Jul 14 2007, 04:21 PM']The other big disappointment for me has to be Fender Jazzes with rosewood 'boards and white blocks/binding. That is the ULTIMATE neck in terms of look for me but not a single one I've played has agreed with me. It's weird 'cos I have a Fender Jazz with a rosewood board which sounds great for fingerstyle and a late '70s Fender Jazz with maple neck and blocks/binding - amazing for slap and fingerstyle. Again, the big problem could be the crap strings / lack of a decent set-up.[/quote]

You've got me worried, I'm after a copy of one of those; maybe a Greco, Pan or Aria Pro. Although I do like the Ric neck.

[quote name='tempo' post='31688' date='Jul 14 2007, 10:13 AM']also trying to play a "V" shape sitting down :)[/quote]

:huh: I hope you're the first person to try that!

Edited by paul, the

Hmmm.

None have foxed me yet!

Not the novax fanned-frets of the Dingwalls
Nor the lap-jumping curves of the Thumbs (or my suicidal Iceni)
Not the big, bluff edges of an Indonesian Squier
Nor the concave back of a Streamer LX6

Mssrs Steinberger, Kubicki, and Vigier have all tried (painted neck on the last one!) but failed.
The neck dive of my Yamaha Attitude is formidable, but I adjusted a strap to compensate.
I can handle 20/21/22/24/26 Frets, and even 34",35" and 36" (just) scale instruments.
I'll take the blame for my rotten intonation on my (unlined) fretless 'Ray 5

Still, I've yet to try;

Falling over to the left with a Tbird
Getting my fretting hand caught in the lower horn of an SG shaped Gibson (EB0 or EB3?)
Fighting the slightly odd ergonomics of a big horseshoe magnet in the middle of a Rick
Sub 34" scale instruments- I reckon on starting with an Ashbory and working UP!

I've never got on with Jazz basses, something about them doesn't seem right. Also, no matter how many I play I can never get used to the pencil-thin necks on Ibanez SRs. A Ric 4003 is pretty much my dream bass (looks and sound-wise), but reading this thread has got me worried about trying one now...

[quote name='Rich' post='33762' date='Jul 18 2007, 06:05 PM']Rickies... [i]ick[/i]. Add me to the why-the-fuss list.
Also, P-bass necks... faaaar too chunky for my silly ickle fingers. In fact, P-basses in general. I just don't get 'em.[/quote]

P's are hard for small handed players,I agree,but I learnt upon them and their ilk,both copy and realdeal. Some people just dont like them because they are typically Fender (i.e. just plain harder to play...ask most guitarists whats easier Strats or Les Pauls) and sadly there are just some...some....who are weak limp pansies who's heaven is a tonefree pencilnecked bad active cheapy Ibanez from the late 90s. Big necks = Big tone,argument END OFF.

Seriously though Rich P's are hard,and they bugger your spine up esp Ash bodied ones. The big advantage of using a P is there are spares and replacment parts all over the world (Kinda like a Marshall amp) so they make good working instruments,plus theres less parts to break,or fiddle about with,so they make perfect sense.

On the Status note,and the questions of why Im not a fan,I dont mind them but..

just

......try a Zon.

[quote name='ARGH' post='33824' date='Jul 18 2007, 07:48 PM']Some people just dont like them because they are typically Fender (i.e. just plain harder to play...ask most guitarists whats easier Strats or Les Pauls) and sadly there are just some...some....who are weak limp pansies who's heaven is a tonefree pencilnecked bad active cheapy Ibanez from the late 90s.[/quote]

Brilliant, just brilliant, I'm still laughing now......

:)

[quote name='ARGH' post='33824' date='Jul 18 2007, 07:48 PM']P's are hard for small handed players,I agree,but I learnt upon them and their ilk,both copy and realdeal. Some people just dont like them because they are typically Fender (i.e. just plain harder to play...ask most guitarists whats easier Strats or Les Pauls) and sadly there are just some...some....who are weak limp pansies who's heaven is a tonefree pencilnecked bad active cheapy Ibanez from the late 90s. Big necks = Big tone,argument END OFF.

Seriously though Rich P's are hard,and they bugger your spine up esp Ash bodied ones. The big advantage of using a P is there are spares and replacment parts all over the world (Kinda like a Marshall amp) so they make good working instruments,plus theres less parts to break,or fiddle about with,so they make perfect sense.

On the Status note,and the questions of why Im not a fan,I dont mind them but..
just
......try a Zon.[/quote]

I had to sell my Precision because I couldn't play "Your Love Keeps Lifting me (Higher and Higher)" or "I Wish" without extreme pain.

I prefer strats to lezzers (play wise).

[quote name='paul, the' post='33884' date='Jul 18 2007, 10:46 PM']I had to sell my Precision because I couldn't play "Your Love Keeps Lifting me (Higher and Higher)" or "I Wish" without extreme pain.[/quote]

Try using your fingers.

Seriously,when you see the rollcall of lines...complex lines played on P-Bass's,usually by ex-Uprightists,with skyhigh action and flats on them or total zoom about the fingerboard work of people like Entwistle or Steve Harris,I must ask are people copping out or what? The only thing a stock P cant do is be slapped,its tone is kak unless you change the P/U....dosent mean you cant play funk on one (George Porter jr).

I have to question your freting hands technique.

The P is the best Passive LRB available period.

[quote name='ARGH' post='33901' date='Jul 18 2007, 11:11 PM']Try using your fingers.

Seriously,when you see the rollcall of lines...complex lines played on P-Bass's,usually by ex-Uprightists,with skyhigh action and flats on them or total zoom about the fingerboard work of people like Entwistle or Steve Harris,I must ask are people copping out or what? The only thing a stock P cant do is be slapped,its tone is kak unless you change the P/U....dosent mean you cant play funk on one (George Porter jr).[/quote]

yeah man, if your gonna be so wimpy, you may aswell be a guitarrist :)