Why become a member? ×

Basses that just dont... Fit?

MythSte

[quote name='paul, the' post='29535' date='Jul 10 2007, 04:05 AM']+1
Shows pickup and pg tail. It's a P without question.[/quote]

Sorry - Yes - you're right I hadn't looked at the 3rd track 'runaway' - & he is indeed using a CAR Precision.

[attachment=1114:turner_pbass.png]

But on the other 2 tracks it's his white 66 Jazz...

[attachment=1115:turner_jass1.png]

[attachment=1116:turner_jazz2.png]

I bought a Ric 4003, I was like a kid with a new toy...

UntilI realised that the bloody thing just didn't work for me.

It was beautiful, classy, had a great sound, I loved it.

But I just didn't get on with it playing fingerstyle...

I wanted it to work, but it didn't... Doesn't stop me wanting one though.

Maybe next year ;-)

[quote name='ste_m3' post='29297' date='Jul 9 2007, 08:10 PM']Well i went into My local Sound Control Today and saw a beautiful Spector Euro, I honestly didnt pay attention to the exact model, But i think it was the same as the one tht was recently reviewed on this site. Natural, PJ Config, about 900 quid.

Anyway, It sounded brilliant through an ampeg combo they had out. But the Pickups just got in my way, the curved back just put things at a wierd angle, the screws on the side of the pickups where too curved and my thumb slipped off them. All silly stuff which left me quite dissapointed![/quote]

You needed to get that thing on a strap. The curved back fits around your beer belly..... :)

After that it's plain sailing..... :huh:

I havent quite grasped this one yet..... do we mean downright uncomfortable to play? or ones that just dont feel as yummy as our favorite one(s) ?

Personally I now struggle to find anything other than my PRSs 'nice' I keep picking up toys when I visit shops (Guess they must get p***ed off with career 'test pilots' like me) but as soon as I get home and pick up one of the babies they just feel like they were made for me. Much the same feeling as those amongst our forum members that have ACTUALLY had their faves made for them.

Even tho' I own a P, it feels neck heavy and doesnt feel anywhere near as balanced as the PRSs and most of the others (with the exception of Warwicks which do feel pleaseant) I have tried just dont float my boat.

All very accomplished in their own right, but not for me....

Is that more a common thread?, we have likeness and personal preferance for tactility, as we do for the music we enjoy and play?

[quote name='cetera' post='29654' date='Jul 10 2007, 10:31 AM']You needed to get that thing on a strap. The curved back fits around your beer belly..... :huh:

After that it's plain sailing..... :huh:[/quote]

But i dont have a belly! It just dug into my ribs and abdomen :) I really wanted to like it! It was a stunner, and sounded ace.

[quote name='Wil' post='29828' date='Jul 10 2007, 04:09 PM']

My mockingbird. Not very comfy at the best of times, and the sound leaves a bit to be desired as well. Still, it looks cool![/quote]

oh yeah i have a similar shaped guitar and it's pretty annoying playing the lower notes sitting even on a 25.5" guitar, i can't imagine what it must be like on a bass!

but yes toasted it DOES look cool as hell :)

Edited by EdwardHimself

warwick thumb 5er...loved the sound of it but could never find a comfy playing position and in the end my right arm started to hurt!

jazz....I love the sound but find the neck way to narrow at the nut. I recenty bought a MM jazz that I had to sell after a couple of months. this must be the 5th jazz I have owned over the years jsut to realize it just doenst work.....

rickenbackers....love the sound looks of them but they are completley unplayable (to me)

I have a Warwick (1993 Fortress) and a Spector (1988 NS2A) and I love them both. Don't understand the comment re curvy spectors and not being able to rest your thumb... I use the bridge pickup on mine as a thumb rest and never have a problem. My Warwick is the best balanced bass I ever played, can let go and it doesn't budge a millimeter.

Never had the inclination to pick up a P or J bass as they don't call out "play me" in a plaintive voice... not the way those gorgeous shiny curvy basses do... nearly bought a Ricky once though, and a T'Bird.. neck dive city.

Richard

[quote name='paul, the' post='29521' date='Jul 10 2007, 12:59 AM']Necks are the biggest problem as I have small hands. I'm happy with a jazz neck, but would prefer something a little chunkier whilst still being rounded at the back.[/quote]

you might like the neck on my warmoth sg, its a jazz neck but feels chunkier (not as bad as a warwick) so i will get on topic by saying "whats going on with warwick necks? just too deep and thin, ITS WRONG.COM! (tm) not for me at all"

Edited by steve-norris

[quote name='steve-norris' post='29992' date='Jul 10 2007, 09:25 PM']you might like the neck on my warmoth sg, its a jazz neck but feels chunkier (not as bad as a warwick) so i will get on topic by saying "whats going on with warwick necks? just too deep and thin, ITS WRONG.COM! (tm) not for me at all"[/quote]

It appears to be my duty yet again to point out that not all Warwick necks are the same!

I used to own a Jaydee MK, the bodies were so wide in fact everything seemed too big. I sold it in 1995 and have spent the last few years trying to track it down (left handed, opalescent white, bound neck and headstock-could be in North Wales, Chirk, possibly :huh: .) On the other hand I bought a 1976 Thunderbird, right handed, in black and played that upside down, restrung for lefty, it balanced really well and was comfy too. :)

Personally I like a big body to hold (Mmmmmmm...), in fact always looking for a nice old semi. Lonely bassist seeks voluptuous cherry Gibson....
The most ergonomic bass to hold I know is my Ovation Magnum 1. Its style has been compared to a potatto, so you just can't win. I find it deeply funky tho.

[quote name='ste_m3' post='29775' date='Jul 10 2007, 02:35 PM']But i dont have a belly! It just dug into my ribs and abdomen :) I really wanted to like it! It was a stunner, and sounded ace.[/quote]

Lower the strap then and it will envelope your bony hip bone.... :huh: :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='29995' date='Jul 10 2007, 09:31 PM']It appears to be my duty yet again to point out that not all Warwick necks are the same![/quote]

Indeed!

I'm fine with most basses until I start doing chordal stuff and then the lack of frets and/or access to them completely throws me.

Alex

The only basses I didn't like the feel of (so far) are the ones with a carbon fibre neck - don't do it for me at all.
Don't like the looks of headless basses either, although I nearly bought one recently just for the hell of it.

Then again, what do I know I love my Rick :) and the rest of my collection :wub:

Pete.